Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Anxiety re birth of third grandchild

(70 Posts)
Fellowfeeling8 Mon 13-Nov-17 18:29:54

Hoping for some soothing words from other grans. I have two grandchildren from my elder daughter. The first was born after a pretty awful experience, induction at 42 weeks gestation, long obstructed labour, failed Ventouse extraction, Caesarian section and second a normal delivery of a smaller baby. These children are now 10 and 8 years old.

My second daughter is, after fifteen years of marriage expecting her first baby at 36. She has been told she is carrying a baby which is large for her size and has been given the option of induction at 39 weeks or Caesarian section.

I am finding that I am so stressed by the whole experience this time that I am feeling that I am not being as supportive as I could be. Any pointers would be much appreciated. The baby’s due date is 29th November.

P.S. I have a medical background which I think makes matters worse!

Fellowfeeling8 Wed 15-Nov-17 15:39:20

Thank you so much to everyone who has bothered to reply to my plea for some soothing words. It has so good to air the subject and to hear everyone’s view point and experience.

That is a thought to take on board, isn’t it. Imagine being a mother to a pregnant daughter in Victorian times!

Also I realise how little I considered my own mother’s feelings when I was pregnant. I am very different in build to both my daughters, they are 5’2”and 5’2.5” while I am 5’7”. They were both born with normal deliveries and very little trouble.

My mother, who had had a very difficult birth with my older sister during WW11 when many medics were serving in the forces and medical care wasn’t excellent, was very worried about me but I was very keen on natural childbirth, which luckily worked out for me. As often happens I don’t think I considered her feelings very much being very wound up with my own concerns! Oh dear!

Dear Bluecat, you must be so worried. A dear friend of mine had a stillborn baby due to placental abruption when she was seven months pregnant. The baby was a little girl and she did go on to have two lovely baby boys, but I do remember being on duty at the hospital and going to see her. She had one to one nursing care and was so ill. It was truly shocking. An experience you will never forget. My heart goes out to you, but all can end happily as it did for my friend. Hopefully your daughter would receive very careful antenatal care with her history. Wishing all the very best to you all.

Starlady Sun 19-Nov-17 12:27:52

Sorry you're feeling so stressed out, Fellow. I guess it's normal for us to "suffer" over the problems of our ac and gc. Dd will decide what's best for her though. The important thing is the end result - hopefully, a healthy baby with mum doing okay, as well. Doesn't matter how baby gets here.

Congratulations! And best of luck to dd! I'm sure everyone will feel better once baby arrives.

Friday Sun 19-Nov-17 12:41:48

FF I will all turn out all right in the end. We do worry about our daughters giving birth but remember after all these horror stories, the tellers are still here to tell the tale.

Fellowfeeling8 Tue 28-Nov-17 09:56:58

Very pleased to report that our new granddaughter, as yet unnamed, arrived yesterday following an elective Caesarian section. She was a big baby, 8lbs 14oz, and my daughter is a slight 5’2”. Feel on top of the world that this anxiety has turned out so well. Thank you so much to everyone who sent supportive messages, it was a great help when I was feeling so stressed.

annsixty Tue 28-Nov-17 10:13:03

Congratulations to you all.
What a Happy Christmas you will have.

Deedaa Wed 29-Nov-17 21:12:48

So pleased it's all gone well. My mother was 5' 2" and I was 9lbs. No C section and she never had any inclination to do it again grin

Newquay Wed 29-Nov-17 23:13:58

Congratulations FF-so pleased to hear your good news after all your anxiety. Now the fun begins! Lol! We're on baby watch, staying with DD2 3 hours from home, awaiting arrival of her 2nd baby, our 6th DGC. He was due yesterday-hurry up baby, we're longing to meet you especially your big 4 yr old sister. Keeping calm, not asking how she is every five minutes. . . .

willa45 Thu 30-Nov-17 12:10:12

Fellowfeeling8, Congratulations to you and your family! Happy to know that everything went well.

Newquay, just hang in there (as we say in the US). Best of luck and do let us know

Both of you will have much to celebrate this Christmas!

Luckygirl Thu 30-Nov-17 12:13:24

Thank goodness for modern medicine/surgery.

Lots of congrats and good wishes to all.

Fellowfeeling8 Fri 01-Dec-17 14:45:28

Thank you all for your messages and good wishes. Dear Newquay hope everything goes very smoothly and soon!

jeanie99 Sat 02-Dec-17 11:20:38

I would take the advice of the consultant, sections are for emergencies.
If baby would be distressed and natural delivery not possible then I would think section is the way to go.
Seek professional advice.

Newquay Sat 02-Dec-17 15:53:47

Still waiting. . . . suggested yesterday some raspberry tea-dismissed as old wive's tale. So suggested a curry for tea tonight-withering look! Cannot possibly suggest sex and nipple stimulation ?

Starlady Thu 07-Dec-17 07:32:33

Just catching up with this thread...

Congratulations to all, Fellow! Such a joyous time! What a beautiful Christmas this will be! Best wishes!

Newquay, I imagine your new dgs is here by now. I hope all is well.

Please avoid giving unsolicited advice, as young parents often don't want to - won't - hear it.

Newquay Thu 07-Dec-17 07:40:02

No Starlady he is NOT here yet for goodness sake! DD seeing midwife again today, saw her last week and she did a sweep-nothing doing. DD has appointment for induction on Sat. Her hubby medic-not obs. As he rightly says an elective section is better than an emergency one but so hope for a natural delivery. They suggested we come back home last Tuesday-so glad we did as have had flu like symptoms since, wouldn't want to spread it to them. Feeling much better today although have heard DH sneeze! Ooh will we have a tale to tell him! His sister is excited but I think she's beginning to get a little bored with it all now. She's at nursery and they have local folks on standby so we'll just go back when we can. . . .

Starlady Thu 07-Dec-17 11:09:14

Oh dear! So sorry gs not here yet, Newquay! I think it's very smart of dd to induce. Great if she ends up having a natural delivery, but the most important thing is that baby is born healthy surely.

Sorry about your and dh's flu-like symptoms. Hope you feel better before gs gets here.

Hope dd has an easy delivery, section or not, and that all is fine with gs.

Newquay Thu 07-Dec-17 19:41:07

Yes so agree Star Lady-a safe delivery for both Mum and baby. Hospital rang today to cancel appointment as they're full. If she starts over weekend sha has to ring and they will tell her where to go.
What a performance!

Newquay Fri 08-Dec-17 23:19:19

Well after all this. . . .DD saw midwife, she's to ring her local,hospital in the morning to check there's still a bed then go in to get started. Thank goodness if he'd waited much longer he'd be born with a beard!
Her in laws save arrived today to look after 4 year old so much relief all round.
DH and I still suffering flu like but no worse. Want to be well to go up ASAP to met the little chap.
Our prayer is for a swift natural delivery but, as u say Starlady, just want them both safe well.

Newquay Mon 11-Dec-17 05:31:18

Well, hurrah, prayers answered DGS born 1am Sun 10th. Had been given hormone pessary Sat morning then allowed home. Went in Sat evening about 9pm, asked for-and received-epidural quite quickly. He arrived naturally without any assistance about 1am weighing 8lb 14oz.
Needless to say we think he's wonderful. On FT he certainly looks a bonny sturdy chap. Other GPs heading for home today as SIL now on paternity leave and 4 year old big sister back to nursery today. Other GPs will be there for Chritmas. Now DH and I need to thoroughly be rid of flu so we can dash up for a quick visit and cuddle-while still making a fuss fo his big sister.

annsixty Mon 11-Dec-17 09:00:15

Congratulations to you all.
I have been following your story and so pleased all is well.
As I said to OP, what a happy Christmas you will have.