Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

My granddaughter hates bundling up

(51 Posts)
Deanna111 Sun 26-Nov-17 07:18:06

My granddaughter lives with me because she goes to a private school that’s close to where I live. She’s usually really good about following my rules, but now that it’s getting cold again and I make her bundle up she always makes a fuss about it.
Today was a very cold day so when we went out to run errands I made my granddaughter dress warm. I had her wear snow pants, warm boots, two sweaters, a down jacket, and a long winter parka. I also made her wear mittens, a hat, a scarf, and her hoods up.
She got very upset that I made her dress warm, and she says she hates wearing her winter clothes to school. Does anyone know how to deal with something like this?

seasider Sun 26-Nov-17 07:24:44

I know it's cold but I bet she was stifled with all those clothes on. A couple of layers is sufficient especially with a down jacket. Children like to move. I would hate to wear all those clothes.

mumofmadboys Sun 26-Nov-17 07:31:49

She must gave been baked! Kids don't feel the cold like adults do. T shirt, jumper and jacket should be plenty. She will tell you if she feels cold.

baubles Sun 26-Nov-17 07:32:29

grin Do you live in the UK?

cornergran Sun 26-Nov-17 07:32:31

deanna not sure where you are and the sort of temperatures you are dealing with. Does sound a lot of clothing for anyone to wear.

CassieJ Sun 26-Nov-17 07:48:48

I take it you aren't talking about the UK? That sounds like a lot of clothes to wear, she would bake in those.

You also don't say how old your grand daughter is. If she is a teenager this is fairly common that they refuse to wear warmer clothes. They think they are so "hard", they won't feel the cold.
All of my children have gone through this in their teenage years. They soon learn it is better to be warm than shiver.

Greyduster Sun 26-Nov-17 08:03:15

Blimey! My GS would run a mile if I asked him to layer up like that - it’s an uphill task to get him to wear a jacket, or even a fleece top in the coldest of weathers. He has to be levered into them. They are all the same, but by and large the girls seem to be more sensible than the boys! If she has to wear so many layers I’m not surprised she hates going to school I’m them!

Esspee Sun 26-Nov-17 08:19:59

My children were brought up in the tropics and when home in the UK would fight against wearing constricting clothes and shoes. I gave up, let them experience the cold and when they complained I offered layers. Didn't take long before they were looking for their coats before going out.
OP, you are going to make your granddaughter ill with heat exhaustion. The constriction might even cause her to have panic attacks. A hat, scarf, coat and sturdy shoes is quite enough. If she is cold let her tell you.

Greyduster Sun 26-Nov-17 08:21:52

Sorry, my post was a bit harsh. Go with what MOMB says. Should be ample in our winter temperatures and she will maintain her ‘street cred’!

NanaandGrampy Sun 26-Nov-17 08:35:29

I'm not surprised she hates it. Where on earth do you live? For that many layers it must be somewhere artic? I think unless we're talking minus temperatures its all too much.

Marydoll Sun 26-Nov-17 08:50:01

If it's the UK, it's too much! I wonder if her friends are mocking her. My mother used to do that to me, I had no street cred at all.
Leave your granddaughter to it, if she is cold she will soon put on more layers.
I once got a call at work, to say my son had collapsed in school. I raced to the school, panic stricken.
He had in fact fainted because he had been sitting next to hot radiator, wearing his gym kit under a sweater, blazer and winter jacket!!!

Christinefrance Sun 26-Nov-17 08:52:11

That certainly seems OTT for any British weather, your granddaughter would not be able to move. As Esspee says children need to learn from experience. Unless it is dangerous for her to do so let her experience the cold and then make her own decision about what to wear. Not sure of her age though.

MawBroon Sun 26-Nov-17 09:03:14

Do you live in Alaska/Scandinavia/Siberia/Canada /Antarctica Deanna111?
What on Earth has the temperature been where you are?
No wonder the poor girl is protesting, surely a good down coat or jacket, wool tights and or trousers, gloves, hat and scarf are sufficient for the coldest winter?
I assume she is a normally active girl but I imagine could hardly moved wrapped up like a mummy. Remember we “oldies”often do feel the cold more.
I am also surprised her school does not insist on a uniform which applies to outer clothes as well as indoor. She must be feeling very self conscious as well as uncomfortable.
Over heating can be very unhealthy.

Eglantine21 Sun 26-Nov-17 09:34:24

Is this the same person with a clothes fetish who wants to talk about school uniform and PE clothes do you think?
It all seems a bit exaggerated.

MissAdventure Sun 26-Nov-17 09:46:10

My thoughts exactly, eglantine.

Jalima1108 Sun 26-Nov-17 10:36:21

I hope you made her wear a onesie over the top and £3 plimsolls under her boots.

Luckygirl Sun 26-Nov-17 10:59:15

This is just a wind-up folks!

Jalima1108 Sun 26-Nov-17 11:02:27

I had visions of this child going out looking like a Teletubby!

Or a Weeble - remember them?
'Weebles wobble but they don't fall down'

downtoearth Sun 26-Nov-17 11:19:12

hmm

NanaandGrampy Sun 26-Nov-17 12:33:28

But what a nice change from a list of clothing purchased ! I love to see a bit of creativity smile

ninathenana Sun 26-Nov-17 12:39:25

The writing style immediately made me think "school uniform posts"

fiorentina51 Sun 26-Nov-17 12:44:58

Me too. ?

lemongrove Sun 26-Nov-17 12:56:08

Me too tchgrin this must be a joke.
Unless the OP lives in Lapland.

trisher Sun 26-Nov-17 12:59:07

Don't private schools have uniforms? Always thought they did.

Cold Sun 26-Nov-17 13:32:00

How old is your gd? Surely if she is school age she can decide for herself how cold she is and how much to wear?

That amount of clothing sounds ridiculous - my DDs grew up in Sweden and only very rarely would wear this level of clothing - perhaps DD2 would wear it in minus 35C. DD1 rarely even wore a coat unless it was super cold. She was very sensitive to overheating and it made her uncomfortable and best and covered in eczema at worst.

I think you are being over the top in making her wear so many layers. How can she possibly play with all this on?
Kids usually wear less than an adult as they are more active outside.