Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

School girls with handbags

(73 Posts)
tanith Wed 21-Feb-18 11:20:54

Anyone else noticed this trend of young girls using big hand bags instead of school bags? My 13 yr old GD needed a new bag her friend apparently saying get your Mum to buy you a handbag. GD not being into the whole handbag,makeup and perfect hair camp laughed and asked for another back pack that she can sling on her back loaded with all her stuff. Her friends apparently struggle to carry these handbags in one hand or over one shoulder. I watched this morning as the school is very near us and there were lots of students with handbags and I even saw two primary girls (they wear different colour shirts). carrying large pink handbags. Does it seem crazy to anyone else?

gillybob Wed 21-Feb-18 22:58:33

Same here BlueBelle it’s fine on my computer at work but not on an iPad or iPhone. Strange hmm

hildajenniJ Wed 21-Feb-18 23:40:54

We carried our stuff around in baskets too. Most of the girls had gondola baskets, but my friend and I had square ones that held more. I started off with a leather satchel, but soon ditched it, not considered cool!

storynanny Wed 21-Feb-18 23:57:42

We had to have leather satchels and I can clearly remember that in one particular year on Thursdays I had to carry satchel, violin, pe kit and cookery basket.
I loved my cookery basket, just bought myself one with handles that fold down for a knitting basket.
In the 6 th form ( 1973-5) we went through phases of using fancy paper carrier bag, crocheted bags, baskets to name a few.

cornergran Thu 22-Feb-18 07:06:07

Apparently it can be made to work via the mobile site - trouble is I can’t recall how blush. It was faffy so I don’t try now. A casualty of an Apple update apparently.

craftynan Thu 22-Feb-18 10:25:21

I loved my briefcase. Also had a basket for cookery, it had a plastic cover that I could fit over it. I saw some schoolgirls with large handbags the other day and must admit I thought they looked ridiculous. I was surprised as well as the school they came from used to be very strict about the type of bags used. I’m just old fashioned!

inishowen Thu 22-Feb-18 10:25:38

I remember going through all sorts of fashions for school bags. The satchel was a big no no after primary school. One year we all got gondola baskets for our books. The next year it was plain polythene bags which you carried in front of you on one arm. Then there was the year of the duffle bag. I think children just want to inject a bit of personality into their dull uniforms.

harrigran Thu 22-Feb-18 10:33:58

DC carried brief cases but GD has an oversized shoulder bag which is allowed as long as it is plain black.

Kim19 Thu 22-Feb-18 10:36:13

Small, large, hand, whatever. Who cares as long as they go to school and are happy in the latest trend. I vividly remember the fads and fashions in my day but trying hard to forget!

Legs55 Thu 22-Feb-18 10:38:36

Just reminds me of using satchels albeit more fasionablegrin

Hm999 Thu 22-Feb-18 10:55:55

Expensive fashion bags are not sturdy eniugh to carry that sort of weight

lesley4357 Thu 22-Feb-18 11:13:53

Back packs are much better for their should/backs. Had to take my, then, teenage daughter to osteopath because of pains caused by carrying appropriate school bags. He recommends back packs - worn properly, for everyone

GabriellaG Thu 22-Feb-18 11:30:55

Haha ? yes, I had one. I called it an egg basket (gondola) and it used to batter my legs too. Only used for twice weekly cookery classes so not too bad but riding with it on the handlebars of my bike was a bind.
My bag was a regulation satchel at my all girls grammar school. I feel sorry for some of the girls at the nearby private schools who have many bags, games stuff and musical instruments to carry and some of the girls are tiny. I used to carry all my children's school paraphernalia in the morning and meet them outside to collect the bags if they wanted to walk home with friends.
Nowadays, some children are dropped at the school bus stop at 7.15 which begs the question...what time do they get up and do they have a decent breakfast?

grannyactivist Thu 22-Feb-18 11:32:50

I don't like to think of the damage being done to young backs by this recent fad for huge, oversized handbags. I have a very posh nice MK handbag bought for me by my sister as a gift and it is ridiculously heavy when I have my phones, iPad and purse in it. I rarely use it unless I'm travelling by car because carrying it around is like lugging bricks.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 22-Feb-18 11:46:09

We had proper satchels which we 'personalised' with scribbles and scrawls - names of pop stars, etc - which must have horrified our parents. For cooking we had to carry our things in wicker baskets, for PE/swimming we carried duffel bags which we'd made in sewing class.
For any 'left-overs' we used a waxy-surface shopping bag and I recall us all complaining of back and shoulder pains. For those who had school dinners it was worse as they had to take everything with them in the morning.
I so much wanted a handbag but not for school but Mum wouldn't let me - I expect she thought it would open the door to rebellion, make-up and boys!

Fennel Thu 22-Feb-18 12:08:51

As far as I remember we had our own desk at secondary school, in our form room, where we left all our books. The only things we needed to take home were homework books. And sports things.
So don't pupils have their own desk now? Or locker?

sue421 Thu 22-Feb-18 12:09:14

I don't see a problem, I love seeing my granddaughter (15) with her handbag(huge) going off to school.
When I was 14 - the trend was for us to have briefcases - thought we were the bees knees!

OurKid1 Thu 22-Feb-18 12:22:16

They banned handbags at the school where I used to work (it was very strict in every way, including uniform). There were problems when actually defining a handbag though. I carry a huge bag with a shoulder strap - is that a handbag? I think so. Even back-packs are part of the Radley (and others) range.

OurKid1 Thu 22-Feb-18 12:23:54

Anyone else remember those baskets we carried our cooking stuff to school in? They were around in the mini-skirt (or rolling your school skirt over at the waist) era and played havoc with your tights when you rested it on your knees on the bus!

Minerva Thu 22-Feb-18 12:25:01

No lockers at our high schools (in a London Borough). Students come without coats in freezing temperatures because there is nowhere to leave coats either. Everything has to be carted round the school from class to class, including sports clothing. No doubt it’s very different in private school and perhaps grammar schools (none in our borough) but I never worked in either.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 22-Feb-18 12:28:05

Half full?

123kitty Thu 22-Feb-18 12:29:25

We can all see how sensible back packs are for carrying heavy loads, but how many grans do you see using them for shopping? Do as I say not...

gillybob Thu 22-Feb-18 12:32:31

My eldest DGD's school has a locker for every child and they keep it throughout their school life. It's quite generous in size and she keeps all sorts in it that she doesn't need to carry backwards and forwards. Not a private school or grammar I hasten to add.

Sulis Thu 22-Feb-18 12:54:28

just schoolkid fashions which change like grown-ups! When my son was at school it was fashionable to pry open holes in the cuffs of sweatshirts to stick their thumbs through, thus making a sort of glove! I thought it was a good idea and did the same to one of mine!!

leemw711 Thu 22-Feb-18 13:08:04

I tend to agree that backpacks are the most sensible buy. I used to work at a well-known Grammar School and was appalled to find that some of our younger girls (13-15) has REALLY expensive designer handbags which they carried around the school. The school matron once pointed out one of these bags to me and told me it retailed at £600+ which left me totally shocked! I can’t afford a bag like that and I think buying one for a child is ridiculous!

Camelotclub Thu 22-Feb-18 13:17:30

If the bag is loaded down with books it might not do their back any favours if it's on one shoulder. A backpack is far better in that respect.