Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Was this you yesterday?

(69 Posts)
GillT57 Tue 07-Aug-18 10:20:50

Yesterday I took my elderly Mother to a garden centre for a spot of lunch. The place was heaving with hot grandparents looking after grandchildren and trying to keep cool. Anyway, I popped into the Ladies' Loo, just got the door clicked shut when a loud, flustered woman shouted out 'Are you just sitting there or are you going to do a poo?'......the weird thing is I almost answered her! grin

OldMeg Tue 07-Aug-18 10:33:13

🤣

Anniebach Tue 07-Aug-18 10:37:26

😀 Gill

teabagwoman Tue 07-Aug-18 11:08:04

smile That’s cheered my morning as I contemplate the cleaning before visitors arrive.

Nanabilly Tue 07-Aug-18 11:15:36

Teehee I wonder what she would have said if you did answer her. It might have lightened her mood!

HildaW Tue 07-Aug-18 11:18:08

Oh the amusing things that happen in loos! We should start a thread. One of my encounters was in Arizona. At a typical family 'All you can Eat' type place. I came out of the cubicle to found myself surrounded by smart (but very loud) American ladies all wearing purple and red. I was hailed as a long lost friend by several of them and felt quite bemused. The mystery was solved when I realised my purple M&S T shirt was mistaken as a sign that I too was a 'Red Hatter'. Made for a very joyous loo visit!

Parsley3 Tue 07-Aug-18 12:03:12

In a restaurant, I once shouted through a cubicle door “ I have come to get you!”
When the door opened, I expected my daughter to emerge but, instead of her, there stood a startled looking stranger. I mumbled an apology and beat a hasty retreat. ☺️

HildaW Tue 07-Aug-18 12:04:29

smile

Jalima1108 Tue 07-Aug-18 12:16:15

grin
Thanks for this, cheered me up after doing the cleaning/washing (after the visitors).

Jane10 Tue 07-Aug-18 12:17:01

A small child once commando crawled under the door of my cubicle, looked up at me and burst into tears!

sodapop Tue 07-Aug-18 12:57:17

That made laugh GillT and remember those days out with young children.
I would have loved to have seen her face if you had replied

GillT57 Tue 07-Aug-18 16:13:19

Yes, I should have replied! That would have lightened the mood, everyone looked tired, hot and exhausted and as if they couldn't wait to hand their grandchildren back! It did make my day though grin

morethan2 Tue 07-Aug-18 18:43:39

smile thanks I needed a giggle

Willow500 Tue 07-Aug-18 19:40:02

grin

Day6 Tue 07-Aug-18 19:50:10

grin
Garden centres - last Friday I notice our was full of middle aged/elderly women caring for even older women, or yes, Grandparents in charge of their grandchildren. One poor lady had a set of triplets to look after - they were about eight years old - and one of the girls was very mardy and sulky. Grandma said quite loudly to her as she gathered her bags and as got up "Buck your ideas up or I'll plant you somewhere!" grin

HildaW Tue 07-Aug-18 20:04:36

grin

MissAdventure Tue 07-Aug-18 20:26:21

grin

DanniRae Tue 07-Aug-18 22:17:04

grin

TwiceAsNice Tue 07-Aug-18 23:42:07

I walked past a mother and daughter the other day daughter about 12/13 and overheard mother say " you have to understand that your behaviour ( whatever it was) is unacceptable" the reply was " and you have to understand that I don't care". I thought I'm glad I don't have to sort that but it did make me smile to myself.

Edithb Wed 08-Aug-18 10:03:14

Two weeks ago in the ladies at Portsmouth Harbour railway station I was surprised to see a gentleman relieving himself in a cubicle with the door wide open. I loudly told him where he was and went outside while he scurried next door. There was already a lady in there too!

allsortsofbags Wed 08-Aug-18 10:10:42

grin love it

marpau Wed 08-Aug-18 10:18:19

I too was at local garden center from next cubicle I heard a child's voice say good job mum now get the paper to wipe yourself! (At least her teaching had paid off)

inishowen Wed 08-Aug-18 10:19:55

I was waiting in the toilets of a fast food restaurant when some of the travelling community came in. One small boy asked me "Are you busting Mrs"? I assured him I could wait and let him go first.

marionk Wed 08-Aug-18 10:36:00

I went on a school trip with my DDs class many years ago and was waiting in the ladies with other mums for our offspring to use the toilets. The girls were doubling up in the cubicles as girls do and suddenly in a loud voice one little darling announced that her friend had used too much toilet paper "Mummy says you must only use 2 sheets if you have only done a wee!" The mother had a very red face and was teased mercilessly for the rest of the term!

Nananolife Wed 08-Aug-18 10:56:17

In my teens, I was once at a party ... ran upstairs for a wee... my friend Ann had just gone up and I assumed was in the loo... I banged on the door ‘come on, you hurry up’

I then proceeded to make load coarse farting noises (with my mouth). ‘come I know what your doing’...

more loud farting noises’. ...John (who I really really fancied) came out ....