Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Christmas - the dreaded C word!

(41 Posts)
diamondsgirl Mon 15-Oct-18 12:57:57

Christmas is fast coming at us and the discussion in my family has turned to who has me for the big Day!!
The nearest to me are my two DDs and their families. Last year I had Christmas in my new home and all the family came and we had a great time, ending up laughing at some of the games we played, memories of when DH was alive.
This year I had not mentioned anything and one of my DDs said her mother-in-law and her husband wanted to spend Christmas Day with them for the first time. Then Son in law felt obliged to ask his father, and he accepted, despite some misgivings about how things would go with ex-wife and her husband.
DD said I am more than welcome to go as well, BUT I really can't stand to be in the same room as father-in-law, with very good reason I might add, even my DD dislikes him but tolerates him for the sake of my DGSs. DD knows my feelings and admitted she would be concerned about there being bad feelings, so sent a text (unbeknown to me) to my two other children, asking them to help out.
AIBU to feel somewhat resentful at this, like the problem parent who needs to be accommodated?
My DS has asked me to stay with him and his family, which means staying there for five days, but resented my DD texting him to ask and I am acutely aware that staying with them for that amount of time could be a strain for them particularly as I am on the bed settee, although I absolutely adore my GD's and we are planning to hit the shops on Boxing Day!!
My other DD is in the medical profession and is working Christmas Eve, so going to her would be difficult because of the shift patterns.
So...... a long explanation, but a short question:
AIBU to feel like a square cog, or be a little wary of spending so much time with my DS, or should I stop worrying about the whole thing? Or am I just feeling the loss of my DH, even after 5 years, at this particular time of the year.

LiveLaughLaove Fri 02-Nov-18 22:49:30

"You then appear regularly to imply that anyone who comments on this is "stalking" you and derailing posts!" - lol but you are actively stalking me. Have you asked yourself why you seem to the ONLY ones that always pick on my posts? hmm Its not an implication. Its the truth!

"I'm not joining in another unnecessary bun fight nor am I "stalking" you or anyone else, I just happened to read the OP . " - Really? I'm sure many others read the OP and chose to ignore my comment. You chose to read it and indulge in another "bun fight," for you clearly can't just get over me either. Despite us going over this same issues a few weeks ago. hmm

"Yes do lets move on as you suggest preferably without the unpleasantness that seems to keep arising." - why do you keep saying this despite acting quite the opposite?

WHY DO YOU TWO WOMEN (only you two of course) SEEM TO HAVE A BIG PROBLEM WITH A COMMENT THAT THE OP LITERALLY AGREED WITH? That's the real question here? Your opinions do not supersede those of others, and just because YOU feel a certain way about a comment doesn't necessarily mean that everyone else feels the same way you do! Even after the OP agreed with it, so who are you to find fault in it when you're not the one in need of support and the one in need of it has agreed with it? hmm

LiveLaughLaove Fri 02-Nov-18 23:03:09

"just a thought but if a post appears to have "really rubbed a lot of people the wrong way" perhaps that's because the post was inappropriate."

If people are still miserable over the truth several months later, to the extent that they find the need to continuously attack an online stranger, then yes that post must have rubbed these two individuals the very wrong way. And hopefully you both find something that makes you happy as opposed to being so angry and bitter with life. If a total stranger can make you this upset to where you can't seem move on, I can only imagine how much harder it must be for those whom you know in real life and on a personal level. hmm. Both of your opinions really don't mean a thing to me, and neither do they matter one bit. I don't even take them with a grain of salt for I know exactly where they are coming from. Hope the festive season brings joy to all of you. cafe.

Smileless2012 Sat 03-Nov-18 13:11:58

LLL your post of 28.10.18 @ 03:59 "So let's simply agree to disagree and continue (key word here) to ignore each on this platform".

Yes let's do that LLL I mean considering our "opinions really don't mean a thing "to you, you seem to have an awful lot to say about them.

MawBroon Sat 03-Nov-18 13:15:53

It’s called flogging a dead horse Smileless or “Nobody is paying me any attention “. grin

LiveLaughLaove Sat 03-Nov-18 14:42:16

Yes let's do that LLL I mean considering our "opinions really don't mean a thing "to you, you seem to have an awful lot to say about them.

Quite honestly your opinions really don't mean a thing to me. They obviously don't mean a thing to either of you, for you both seem to quickly dish out advice that would only be great if you didn't have trouble adhering to it yourselves. hmm.

And you're absolutely wrong (once again) when you claim that I had "an awful lot to say," about your opinions. Point of correction - I only posed ONE question on both your baseless opinions. One question that was conveniently never answered despite all these feigned claims of concern over the OP with regards to my comments. Why wasn't it answered? Because you know your concern was a sham and more of a targeted attack towards the poster and not the post in itself. So kindly refrain from implying that I had a lot to say about your opinions like they held an element of importance in them that advocated for them to be addressed in depth - They didn't.

Now I can tell you what I had, "an awful lot," to say about without you shoving your own words into my mouth too. hmm. I had an awful lot to say about your manipulative and controlling behaviors, all whilst trying to draw out this negative narrative on any ideas that don't perfectly fit into either of your myopic views. You really come across as two very miserable individuals who probably get some form of self gratification from constantly attacking people (that they don't even know). But carefully start by playing the victim card and making EVERYTHING about YOU and how YOU feel - (even if it has to take away from others like the OP) - so as to avoid coming out as the aggressor that you really are. Your user names alone further depict a lot about the deep seated sadness and anger that you both seem to have revolving around your daily lives. Nothing wrong with "smiling more," or being a "happy gran."

EllanVannin Sat 03-Nov-18 14:45:03

I too enjoy Christmas alone after having spent years catering for the family and their evergrowing offsprings.
I still buy in plenty just in case of unexpected callers. D is usually working and as my GS still lives at home he could well call in between vising his sister ( my GD ) and her 7 children hahahahaha. She is just putting on a buffet because the children are usually too busy playing and munching through selection boxes to care about sitting down to dinner. The noise is deafening too ! I usually go on Boxing day to take the children's presents.
I just play it by ear but could never make a big deal out of it as it's just another day to me.
The family make their own arrangements I just follow their instructions. It works all round. We see each other throughout the year anyway.

LiveLaughLaove Sat 03-Nov-18 14:49:28

"LLL your post of 28.10.18 @ 03:59 "So let's simply agree to disagree and continue (key word here) to ignore each on this platform". Yes let's do that LLL....."

But why aren't you actively doing this? Despite agreeing to ignore me from my last truthful post? Which is still up and has not deleted - for a very good reason. Ponder on that!

mcem Sat 03-Nov-18 15:57:39

Not guilty of 'stalking' but as soon as I saw a post from LLL I did wonder when things would kick off!
However, as soon as I spot the first ill-written and lengthy diatribe I now skip the subsequent ones knowing I 'm not missing anything worth reading.
As for Christmas we've yet to decide but whatever decision is reached I 'm not fretting about it.

Patsy70 Sat 03-Nov-18 17:09:23

Diamondsgirl. I understand how you must be feeling, and this time of year can be so difficult when you feel the loss of your DH much more. You seem to have already decided to accept your DS's invitation, and will have a great time shopping with your GDs on Boxing Day. Your DD was being diplomatic, knowing that you dislike her FiL, so don't be too sensitive about the text. Alternatively, you could do your own thing and book a few days away maybe? Whatever you decide, I hope you have a lovely time.

Smileless2012 Sat 03-Nov-18 17:25:38

mcemsmile

We have friends coming for Christmas and look forward to seeing our DS in Aus. in the New Year.

MawBroon Sat 03-Nov-18 19:44:30

LLL three words
Empty room
Fight

mcem Sun 04-Nov-18 08:40:24

smileless - a super way to start 2019! Hope the visit (and the rest of the year) brings you joy.

Smileless2012 Sun 04-Nov-18 08:48:27

Thank you mcemsmile.

Madgran77 Sun 04-Nov-18 19:18:54

Diamondsgirl I hope you have a nice Christmas, whatever you decide.
Smileless Nice to look forward to! I've never been to Australia but on my bucketlist! Out of interest, when you fly out do you stop off or go direct. The flight times seem so long!
Mcem We also don't know re Christmas but like you, no fretting, it is just a waste of energy - "whatevers" really! grin
Mawbroon grin

LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 05-Nov-18 16:51:47

Hi all - just swooping in to say that we've spotted a few comments here that really aren't helpful to the OP and seem to be taking the thread in a different direction. Please do be mindful of this.