Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

relating to a granddaughter

(38 Posts)
LynnK Tue 14-May-19 00:32:17

Hi. Just joined this group. I'm a 63 year-old married man. My first grandchild, a granddaughter, will be born in August. I'm an only child and my wife and I raised an only son. I'm nerdy and bookish. I have no idea how to relate to a young girl. Suggestions?

TwoSlicesOfCake Wed 15-May-19 14:43:01

You sound like a wonderful grandfather-to-be. It’s very sweet if you worry about connecting with her. It shows you are interested in her and getting to know her as a person. At first she will be a baby (obviously) so it will be about supporting her mom and dad. But once she’s a toddler you get to build a relationship with her.
My grandpas both lived a ways from us growing up. When they would visit us I remember them as these warm and silly men who loved getting on the floor and playing with my sisters and me. Building blocks, reading stories, chasing us around. One of my grandfathers lives to cool, so we’d always to that together. He was fun, silly and always made me feel like I was a person. You’ll be great. Cut yourself some slack. Kids are kids and being a girl doesn’t mean dolls and sparkles all the time, if that’s intimidating to you. Games, puzzles, stories are all good fun. I’m excited for you!

LynnK Wed 15-May-19 18:50:58

TwoSlicesofCake, yes dolls and sparkles and My Little Pony are far from my comfort zone. But your comments are very encouraging. I'll just play to my strengths. Fortunately reading to children is one of them; I try to do voices.

Starlady Thu 16-May-19 04:04:51

Sounds like a plan, LynnK! Enjoy! And welcome!

Florencelady Thu 16-May-19 07:02:09

My gds favourite game with grandad from about age 2 was rolling down the hill in the garden. Yes, him too so be prepared. You end up doing things you thought you would never do again and in my experience gds don't take no for an answer in those situations. Just be yourself. She will work her way into your heart.
I found with my dh bringing her into the garden from an early age to look at butterflies etc was a great break for her mom and a great distraction for her.
Obviously that all takes a while to happen so in the beginning just smile and coo. Sitting in your favourite chair just holding her will be heaven itself.
Enjoy and don't be under pressure. You don't need to be grandad of the year!

evegreen1 Tue 11-Jun-19 11:31:27

Hello there...
I am going to meet my Grand son and Brought Gift from a friend Website
temperandtantrum.com/best-toys-gifts-for-10-year-old-boy/
Thanks alot

Razzy Tue 11-Jun-19 13:10:47

I think they key thing is treat her as a child not as a girl. Girls can like the exact same things boys can! Mine is a total bookworm, loves climbing trees, getting mucky, long walks, animals, seeing how things work. See them as a child not as a girl or boy.

NannyB2604 Mon 24-Jun-19 18:55:38

Hi LynnK. DH and I also have an only DS and an only DGD and DH is pretty bookish and into computers and DIY in a big way. He absolutely adores DGD and she him; they get on SO well. Please try not to worry and enjoy this exciting, new little person

BlueBelle Mon 24-Jun-19 19:05:50

They will adore stories with voices I bet you will be a favourite never avoid cuddles and a big old knee to snuggle on and the rest with fall into place This will take you up to about 10 and the rest of us struggle after that too women and men
Do come back and tell us how it all goes

Maya Mon 24-Jun-19 19:14:06

What can I say to my granddaughter aged 12 going on 16 who is rude and offhand to her mother (my daughter)?

GoodMama Mon 24-Jun-19 19:41:55

Maya, you can say nothing. Unfortunately it would be a huge misstep for you to interfere in your daughter's relationship with her daughter.

Anything you say will be held against you. Your daughter might possibly be offended at your overreaching to discipline her daughter, even though you are doing it to defend your daughter. Her daughter will most certainly take offense as almost anything contrary offends a 12 year old girl.

12 is an awful age. And one filled with learning and humbling experiences. Trust that your daughter is taking care of it.

If you don't enjoy time with her daughter at the moment, take time to focus on your relationship with your daughter, her mother. Perhaps take her to lunch, spend one-on-one time with your daughter.

Perhaps she will open up and ask for advice, which is the ONLY WAY you could possibly offer any advice to her regarding her daughter. But, be very careful in how you deliver that advice. Make sure not to criticize her parenting or her daughter's character.

Mostly, just let her know (again, only and ONLY if she asks) that 12 is a terrible age and you're there for her anytime. And you're looking forward to celebrating with a glass of champagne when she survives her daughter's teen years - just like you did!

Urmstongran Mon 24-Jun-19 20:20:52

Good sense (again) GoodMama.

JustStoppingBy Mon 24-Jun-19 20:32:02

I think it is sweet that you worry about it. But you'll have no trouble relating. Girls and boys are quite similar. Some boys want to play with dolls, as a girl I wanted nothing to do with dolls, dresses, etc. and just wanted to climb trees and play sports. You never know who your grandchild will be until you meet them. You could very well find yourself spending time with a granddaughter who wants to be just like her granddad.