Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

emotional intelligence in children

(61 Posts)
Grannyjacq1 Thu 22-Aug-19 10:30:33

Can anyone recommend any books for my 3 year old grandson (one of twins) who, according to professionals, has traits of autism (but isn't autistic) and who seems to lack emotional intelligence at times. I've seen some by Sue Graves - has anyone read these with a 3 year old? All advice to help this delightful child (and his parents) would be much appreciated to make their life easier.

nanaK54 Sat 24-Aug-19 19:20:30

Oh and: Winnie the Witch

Tillybelle Sat 24-Aug-19 19:32:16

Loislovesstewie. I love you! I was glad to get him 'labelled ! That is so positive! What a lovely letter! Your son sounds wonderful. He'd fit in well with us in my family. Especially the love of trains

I know we find it difficult to explain to someone with ASD that they are hurting someone's feelings, and we say they don't empathise. I always believe they do have empathy but because they are so honest and unworldly cannot follow the lack of our logic. We are prepared to lie to someone about something they know is completely unimportant, such as a big bum. Plus most ASD people do have trouble reading the expressions of others, as we know, but sometimes they don't like looking at faces anyway.

I have trouble remembering faces which is a massive stigma. People go round boasting "I never forget a face". I have a lot of trouble recognising people in different settings. I have no idea why. I think it's my brain. I do recognise voices quite well.

maddyone Sat 24-Aug-19 19:33:45

Absolutely correct Monica’s post on first page.

Tillybelle Sat 24-Aug-19 19:43:09

I did a quick look on Amazon and found these. Please forgive if already mentioned I am out of time. Thanks

Have You Filled a Bucket Today? (Bucketfilling Books)
by Carol McCloud and David Messing | 1 Oct 201

Adults' bool:
The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Proven Strategies to Nurture Your Child’s Developing Mind
by Dr Tina Payne Bryson and Dr. Daniel Siegel

How are you feeling today?
by Molly Potter | 17 Jul 2014

Feelings: A lift-the-flap book of emotions (Find Out About)
by Pat-a-Cake and Louise Forshaw | 2 May 2019
4.6 out of 5 stars 6

The Huge Bag of Worries
by Virginia Ironside and Frank Rodgers

Making Faces: A First Book of Emotions: No. 1
by Abrams Appleseed | 24 May 2017

Grannyjacq1 Sat 24-Aug-19 19:57:25

Thank you all SO much for all your suggestions - you have given me plenty of ideas for research and, more importantly, plenty of hope for the future. Gransnet is such a wonderful website giving voice to a wealth of experience and often enabling people to see things from a different - and more enlightening - perspective. Thank you.

optimist Sat 24-Aug-19 19:59:52

Contact BOOK HOUSE In Wandsworth. They are the experts and have books on every subject both for and about children.

Callistemon Sat 24-Aug-19 20:29:33

Does emotional intelligence develop through observing other people's behaviour or is it inherent?

Tigertooth Sat 24-Aug-19 21:37:29

The big bear little bear stories are beautifully illustrated in water colours and deal with frustration, fear of the dark etc.
But really you can use any story and just try to demonstrate empathy with the characters. Discuss how the character must be feeling when he gets lost/ gets a gift/ is too small for the ride -whatever. If you’re confident you can role play with him and take it in turns to be characters in the book.
“I am baby bear and I just feel so cross that Goldilocks has eaten my food and broken my things. Every time I look at that bowl I wish I had my nice porridge and I feel angry with her”

trisher Sat 24-Aug-19 22:13:25

Mostly it develops through interaction when a child is very young Callistemon however in some cases it doesn't develop fully. It was discovered in the 90s that teaching EI can help children with behaviour problems so it began to be used in schools. One of the things done was to teach children to be aware of their own feelings by rating their mood. In some cases a scale of 1-10 was used, in others children showed pictures which indicated their mood.

Loislovesstewie Sun 25-Aug-19 06:00:39

Tillybelle, you are very welcome! I think that they would probably get on like a house on fire, although that expression would cause him a lot of puzzlement. That of course is another aspect of having autism, the fact that they often take everything so literally that common expressions cause a huge amount of confusion.
I think in respect of the whole 'lack of empathy ' thing then the fact that they are honest comes into it and also the fact that many suffer from sensory overload. My young man is very sensitive to noise for example and used to get cross when another child cried. I think he probably knew that they were hurting but the distress that the noise caused him overrode his feelings for the other child.
The whole issue is so complicated , but I believe that if we don't label them then we can't begin to explain the issues or try to help. We are quite happy to explain other medical problems by naming them. Why shouldn't we feel the same about any learning disability? There is no shame to having them is there? If there is then that needs challenging too.