Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Feeling low and rejected

(78 Posts)
Annali Mon 06-Jan-20 07:18:26

Hello ladies
At the risk of sounding petty, I just want to express how low I am feeling due to my DIL telling me gleefully how much my GS has had such a wonderful weekend with her family friends. She had pics all over FB. I live a few hours away from on GS and don’t see him often, unlike these friends of DIL. I am worried my 2 yr GS won’t know me. My son FaceTimed me earlier; I had to call back as I was busy but when I did. My DIL text me to say there would be no FaceTime as son and GC were busy and besides, GC was tired after fabulous weekend. I felt she was being spiteful. I feel rejected and hurt. Any advice on how I can overcome these unpleasant feelings?

Flowerette Mon 20-Jan-20 14:16:22

I ever thought I would feel such empathy for other people On a forum
Yes we do lose our DS to a certain extent when they have their families
I am feeling left out already to a step grandchild .. very difficult and has had my head reeling .. it was all fine at first and now the build up to the wedding .. things are falling a bit around us ... long story
The advice on here is so helpful and heartfelt for the lady who started the post and I feel very emotional
We have 2 sons .. the youngest son marrying in 3 weeks ... over the moon he is happy .. it’s just that there are some alarm bells .. great forum here x

Sandmb Sat 14-Mar-20 13:41:35

Try and get access for your grandson just for you. It could be every other weekend or a weekend once a month without the parents and FaceTime once a week at a certain time just for your grandson and speak when you can to your son and daughter in law. This can be made a formal arrangement in tge court if the parents won’t agree but if there’s no tension within the family there shouldn’t be a problem and they will get time to being a couple. You can go to court yourself with help from a McKenzie friend at a fraction of the cost of a solicitor. This isn’t ideal but if you want to be an active part of your grandsons life sometimes you have to do it which is what I did for my 5 grandchildren and I now get access regularly. Try talking to your son and if it doesn’t work think about it. How much do you want to be in your grandsons life?