Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Soops cosy kitchen for kind peoples and precious pets !

(1001 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Tue 14-Feb-17 12:13:03

All ready for business...pull up a chair smile

grannyqueenie Wed 15-Feb-17 21:25:50

Oh Ann you've so much else to manage that news from the GP is just not what you needed to hear, hope it's easily treatable or even better still nothing to worry about ?

Tizliz Wed 15-Feb-17 21:32:49

soop my problem will be solved with patience, hope your problem is as easily solved. Trouble with computers is that they don't understand stupidity ?

Charleygirl Wed 15-Feb-17 21:57:01

MawBroon Grace has always been top of my list- puppies are cute but a lot of work, It is lovely to see Grace awake for once. I have always thought that she is adorable, such a pity I cannot let her know personally but she gets the vibes I am sure.

oldgoat Wed 15-Feb-17 21:59:56

Love your grand dog grannyqueenie. Is he a schnaunzer?

Lona Wed 15-Feb-17 23:09:16

Ann I've had a skin cancer removed from my face, it doesn't take long usually, although you may have to see him a couple of times.
Unfortunately I think it's inevitable this year that the utilities will go up. I don't know where they expect us to keep finding this extra money. flowers

annodomini Wed 15-Feb-17 23:25:32

Ann, I know it's worrying when you hear the words'skin cancer' but there are several kinds of skin cancer. The dermatologist will determine what action to take and how soon to do it. I had a melanoma removed from the back of my neck about 13 years ago at Christies and it turned out to be the thinnest one they had ever seen. I haven't had the dreaded water bill yet! It must be on its way if you've got yours! Do you have a meter? It might be cost-effective with just two of you in the house. United Utilities have a facility on the web site which will calculate for you whether or not it would suit you.
guest.unitedutilities.com/WaterUsageCalculator

cornergran Wed 15-Feb-17 23:31:59

Goodness, I go across the bridge for a day and so much happens.

That's not what you wanted to hear ann, sending hugs and crossed fingers for your appointment.

I'm still feeling guilty at the noise we made here, kitty, yes chipping tiles off the wall plus stripping paper in every room and then the plasterer scraping off Artex, oh yes, the plumber banging around putting a heating system in and the electrician making holes inc the walls for more sockets. it's a wonder our neighbour ever spoke to us. Hope you get a quieter day tomorrow.

These pictures of dogs keep coming, I'm still so envy. They are all wonderful and all are guaranteed a good walk here and lots of fuss if they need surrogate grandparents. Although I suspect charley would beat me to it and there is a long queue forming.

I guess it may all as well be done at once charley, but boy, what a brave soul you are. We weren't sleeping here when all the major work was done. Hope you get a pleasant surprise price-wise. Our electrician did a part rewire here, put in a new consumer unit and said we should be fine for our lifetime. Hey, we aren't that old! There was little mess and not too pricey, hoping for the same for you.

I've been sad thinking about the grandparents who hold back from an active involvement with their grandchildren. It also made me think how lucky ours are, two have three very interested grandparents (one grandparent has died or there would be four), the other has no less than five very actively involved grandparents. We all get on when we meet, bit of a miracle all round. n&g, love the sound of your sleepover preparations, we won't see our older two this week so hoping for a school run next week. Think I'm lucky, they invariably ask to eat pasta and aren't too fussy about the room for sleepovers. grin. Lovely to be requested like that lona, something to smile about.

Words fail me wot. Re-training definitely. Mr C was on a frantic card buying trip the night before, I had been better prepared. Would you believe we both then totally forgot about it yesterday as we felt so horrible with the germs. We did remember eventually blush.

Goodness, soop, what an ironing marathon. Does that mean you get next week off?

Any advice on that leg maw?, apologies if I missed something, there was a lot,to catch up on. I'm taking the sore throat to bed now, Mr C continues to snuffle and cough, think I've got the better deal with the croaking and coughing, no red nose smile.

Keep warm and well everyone.

callgirl1 Thu 16-Feb-17 00:34:37

My best wishes to you Ann xx
MawB, I swear Grace is smiling on that last photo!

MawBroon Thu 16-Feb-17 08:12:45

sad Not going to London on granny duty after all sad
DH felt sick and generally unwell yesterday and as his Hb may well be low (no blood transfusion last week) he said he would be happier if I didn't leave him on his own today. Three heartfelt boos.
Sister in law is looking after Flynn (first time) and I had offered to be an extra pair of hands in the afternoon until DD gets home. Ah well, that is why I can't commit to regular childcare like I did 6 years ago with DGS1.
Moving on .......

kittylester Thu 16-Feb-17 08:24:52

A shame on both counts Maw.

Now, you are not to laugh but I burnt my foot, very painfully, last night. I have owned up previously to using ready made mashed potatoes as a short cut. As I was getting it out of the microwave I burnt my hand, dropped it on the floor, the packaging exploded and hot mash went everywhere - on my foot, utility room floor, cupboard doors and in my slippers. I told you not to laugh!grin

MawBroon Thu 16-Feb-17 08:27:29

Not laughing kittylester very ouch! ??

annsixty Thu 16-Feb-17 08:28:53

I feel your disappointment MB. Thankyou for kind words about my face. I am not worried just hesitant about scars and had a real lecture about sunbathing which being fair skinned I never do and havnt been abroad for 5 years and then only sit in the shade.

cornergran Thu 16-Feb-17 08:30:10

Oh blimey, mawbroon, a disappointment and a worry. There will be more Flynn time soon. Hope your husband picks up, rotten day for you both. Take care

cornergran Thu 16-Feb-17 08:38:34

Ouch, kitty, no laughter here.

ann a close friend has similar treatment about 18 months ago, small scar was visible for a few months, now not noticeable at all. Sounds as if you had a standard 'lecture', try not to take it to heart, you know you have been sensible. .

Bellanonna Thu 16-Feb-17 10:01:53

MB. ☹️
I feel sad for you. I know the feeling to some extent. It's frustrating. Some nice Flynn time soon hopefully ?

Lona Thu 16-Feb-17 10:10:26

ann I've had three removed and the scars aren't noticeable at all. I don't sunbathe either, but I am a redhead (was). We are just delicate little flowers! smile

kitty ooh I bet that's really painful, the skin on feet seems quite thin to me.

Swanny Thu 16-Feb-17 10:49:03

Oh kitty that sounds so painful sad I burned the base of my thumb on the oven shelf a few days ago. It just won't heal as every time I dry my hands I rub off the scab! Trying to avoid doing it again last night I somehow managed to burn the same hand on the other side, just under the little finger angry I know, I should use an oven glove. Either that or stop cooking square chips (potato waffles) for DGS - well they are his favourites grin

Swanny Thu 16-Feb-17 10:50:03

ann flowers and ((hugs))

soop Thu 16-Feb-17 12:50:21

Granniequeenie Welcome to George. I love the eyebrows. Us lot are delighted that you found your way here, queenie. I found it unsettling (to say the least) when I found the previous kitchen closed. However, here we are again... and all that jazz.

annsixty I wish that I could give you a healing hug right this minute. flowers

Maw Grace is a proper lady. Almost regal. She's an honorary princess in this 'ere kitchen.

soop Thu 16-Feb-17 13:06:28

corner I've enjoyed a huge mug of coffee as I read your very interesting post. smile

Thank you Tizliz

anno my husband regularly has countless lesions on his scalp zapped by a dermatologist. All caused by sun damage. He was also a redhead in his youth. A lady in the village has recently had a suspect growth removed from her nostril. There is barely any sign of a scar.

kitty I'm not laughing. You could have done some real damage to your foot. As Swanny says, burns can be awfully painful and take an age to heal.

MawB I share your disappointment. I also hope that your husband rallies asap.

Judthepud2 Thu 16-Feb-17 13:42:31

You asked for a pic of Georgie in her pram. So here she is. At the hospital for physio this morning and she got to her feet unaided and just stood there! We were all astonished and the rehab vet had a little weep. She can see improvement in her all over condition. So happy!

Ann lets hope you can get the lesions removed soon with as little scarring as possible. You have so much to cope with, my heart goes out to you.

Kitty burns are no joke no matter what causes them so no laughing from here. I get at least one every Christmas. It has become a family tradition!

Love to you all and your pets if you have them. I'm off for a celebratory cup of tea.

wot Thu 16-Feb-17 13:50:38

Jud, lovely Georgie! Such good news about her standing up smile

annodomini Thu 16-Feb-17 14:17:50

soop I think I could trace the malignant melanoma on my neck to a day when I fell asleep in the tropical sun, on my front, without a hat and got horribly sunburnt to the extent that I couldn't wear a bra for a week. Luckily I was at an age when I didn't need one. The melanoma had to be dug out, along with a chunk of muscle in case the cells had spread. Fortunately for me they hadn't. My GP sister probably saved my life by spotting it and telling me to go to my GP.

Greyduster Thu 16-Feb-17 14:51:30

jud what splendid news! She's certainly a fighter. Madame looks very at home in her carriage!

kitty Ouch! Who could have predicted that would happen? I hope you are more comfortable soon! I can now tell DH when he asks for it that we can't have mashed potato because it is very dangerous! (I don't like it!).

Well we finally got off to Chatsworth for a walk today having had to abort the last attempt because everything had disappeared in the fog. We walked from the Baslow end, had our lunch in the restaurant at the house, and before setting out again I went to use the facilities. Very posh - mirrored cubicle doors. And then you go into the cubicle and .... mirrored walls!! It was the weirdest most uncomfortable experience seeing yourself on two sides, sitting there in a state of semi undress! I had to shut my eyes, it was like sharing the cubicle with two other people! Who on earth thought that one up, I wonder? I suppose it helps that you can check your dress before exiting, but really.....

MawBroon Thu 16-Feb-17 15:07:15

Yep DH is excused making me cancel sad His haemoglobin is 6.8 today way below what it should be. He can tick along well enough at 10 but this is the "official" version, bearing in mind it is for a younger healthy person.
"A low haemoglobin level count is generally defined as less than 13.5 grams of hemoglobin per deciliter (135 grams per liter) of blood for men and less than 12 grams for women "
Ah well. Currently dozing in "his" chair!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion