Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

How did you choose your username?

(96 Posts)
Azie09 Tue 21-Feb-17 16:12:42

Apologies in advance if this has been asked before and not asking for secrets but I often notice my username was think that it was done in a tizz after finding half a dozen usernames weren't acceptable. My name begins with A but after that, it's a random creation.

Some of you have brilliant names, so creative. Any good stories? wink

NanaandGrampy Tue 21-Feb-17 17:51:40

I had an email address of the same name that I used for the grandchildren to email me and I couldn't think of anything else.

Cherrytree59 Tue 21-Feb-17 17:58:59

I've posted this before so apologies
My name is memory.
Sitting in the shade under our
cherry tree holding my first grandchild.
He was born in the middle of a very hot July.
Plus my birth year

Greyduster Tue 21-Feb-17 18:03:46

This is mine. A favourite fishing fly!

NannyKasey Tue 21-Feb-17 18:03:49

'Nanny' because that is what DGD calls me and'Kasey' as its my initials

wot Tue 21-Feb-17 18:07:35

mine came about because it kept rejecting the names i put so I got annoyed and put whatanuiscanceabc123. one of the GNers said that she felt it was selfdeprecating so the name was shortened, then Jingles pestered GNHQ to shorten it to wot!! Long story but now got a nice short username!!

grannylyn65 Tue 21-Feb-17 18:16:14

I remember all that wot !
Grannylyn is what I am but no longer 65 !! (68)

TwiceAsNice Tue 21-Feb-17 18:18:35

Mine is because I had two grandchildren born at the same time. Having twins is TwiceasNice

MawBroon Tue 21-Feb-17 18:20:43

Well I used to be Daphne Broon after one of my all time favourite families, but left GN and when I came back I had to choose another name so I asked my maw and she said she didnae mind. (Maggie Broon was too glamorous and flighty!)

mumofmadboys Tue 21-Feb-17 18:21:35

I have a family of mad boys and no imagination!!

phoenix Tue 21-Feb-17 18:25:47

I've been here since the beginning, so no names were taken at that point!

Why phoenix? Because I always hope/try to rise from the ashes, with varying degrees of success!

downtoearth Tue 21-Feb-17 18:30:56

Because I am grin

kittylester Tue 21-Feb-17 18:37:16

I think it was much easier in the early days. Choosing a name now would be bewildering phoenix. Mine is a nickname and a city no so far away. The nickname is no longer used but I've become quite fond of it!

hulahoop Tue 21-Feb-17 18:39:53

Mine because I like them and I wish I could do it like when a teenager Hulahoop I mean☺️

grannylyn65 Tue 21-Feb-17 18:44:40

mumofmad, I don't think that's true at all !!!

Retrolady Tue 21-Feb-17 18:46:41

Mine is because when I was working in a school, one of the children decided I needed a nickname as Mrs so and so was too "posh" for me! He suggested Retrolady. When I asked him why the Retro part, he said "because you are old, but cool which is what retro means." I was strangely flattered ... I think.

AlgeswifeVal Tue 21-Feb-17 18:52:09

My name and my husbands nickname.

Chewbacca Tue 21-Feb-17 18:57:32

Mine is because I have masses of hair, not as much as my namesake, but a lot nevertheless!

joannapiano Tue 21-Feb-17 18:57:45

My name isn't Joanna (much nicer than my old-fashioned real name) and it's Cockney rhyming slang for piano.

Niobe Tue 21-Feb-17 19:11:48

I had been reading the posts on the site and recognised ' Nellie Moser' as a variety of clematis so I picked Niobe which is a lovely , deep red clematis. When I get my garden sorted I shall get a Niobe to grow somewhere in my garden. PS haven't seen any posts from Nellie recently. Hope she is ok.

kittylester Tue 21-Feb-17 19:16:57

I think nellie was in the kitchen or on good morning earlier today!

Judthepud2 Tue 21-Feb-17 19:17:29

Family nickname from childhood. Not that appropriate then as I was a scrawny little thing. More appropriate now perhaps!

grumppa Tue 21-Feb-17 19:26:42

My family refer to me, unjustly of course, as the Christmas Grump

oldgoat Tue 21-Feb-17 19:39:49

DS's affectionate name for his mother.
But I haven't got a beard (yet).

Jalima Tue 21-Feb-17 19:47:11

Greyduster I had puzzled about that - now I have an explanation (and it's not that you have dusted a very dirty house grin)

fiorentina51 Tue 21-Feb-17 20:00:48

My mum was from Italy. My user name is a nod to the nickname I was given by my Italian grandmother.