Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

New to Gransnet?

(805 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 13-Sep-18 10:53:26

Any new joiners? smile If you've recently signed up to Gransnet or have been around a while but haven't got round to posting anything yet, please pop over to Welcome to Gransnet to introduce yourself and have a virtual cup of cafe or wine.

suziewoozie Thu 06-Jun-19 22:39:23

Thank you Charleygirl5. The name is linked to my gin habit - I occasionally get woozie. But tonight I am just about to have a hot chocolate

Party4 Fri 07-Jun-19 00:20:41

Hi all new to site and would love advice on meeting/making friends. Feeling rather lonely after moving, retiring and spending life involved with family and elderly relatives. Now have free time but no one to spend it with. Husband has mental health issues and will not join or become involved in activities. Love him to bits but need something to fill my life.

Charleygirl5 Fri 07-Jun-19 08:10:16

Welcome Party4. You did not give a clue which part of the country you live because some areas are easier for meetups than others.

That is what I am doing today- meeting up with two others for coffee, never having met them before.

Party4 Fri 07-Jun-19 17:19:39

Thank you for your reply I live near Leeds, do not drive but live near good transport network.Anyone out there in need of company.

Charleygirl5 Fri 07-Jun-19 18:48:06

Party you will not get a reply from this post. What you have to do is to open your own thread under meetups but state where you would like to meet up- eg John Lewis restaurant 5th floor stating whichever street in Leeds the place is and give a couple of dates and see what transpires.

Purrfect Mon 10-Jun-19 11:34:32

Hello Everyone,
New member her, looking for friends,
Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Avor2 Wed 12-Jun-19 21:17:22

Hi Purrfect, welcome to Gransnet I haven't been here long but love the Forum especially, I didn't used to put my twopence worth in there but gradually have started to. There are so many of us that have similar problems/questions/ideas which is interesting, sometimes when we get to a certain age people don't actually listen to us, but they do here, we don't always agree on things but we agree to disagree.

Whereabouts do you live? I am living in Essex. Hope to see you on here again soon

Bordersgirl57 Tue 18-Jun-19 11:34:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dragonfly46 Tue 18-Jun-19 11:38:39

Welcome Bordersgirl. I am afraid the keyboard warriors pervade all internet sites but there are some really lovely people on here. If you are feeling fragile visit Soop's kitchen under chat. Everyone is very kind and caring there. I found the whole experience daunting at first as I got shot down in flames with my first post but you soon learn who to ignore and who is friendly.

Charleygirl5 Tue 18-Jun-19 12:13:45

I agree wholeheartedly with dragonfly. Not everybody is a first class bitch but there are some who would disagree with you if the sun was shining. I know the names to stay well clear of and I am an aficionado of soop's kitchen also.

Marilla Tue 18-Jun-19 12:31:36

Hello Bordersgirl57,
I am a relative new Gransnetter and only began sharing my views and opinions, last year. I then started asking for advice ranging from beginners knitting to Sciatica and the response has always so helpful and practical. For those with anxiety and depression, there is a thread where you find such excellent support from those in a similar situation.

I haven’t yet joined in the with the Good Morning thread as I don’t have anything exciting happening! But I still enjoy reading it.

lemongrove Tue 18-Jun-19 13:13:36

Welcome to new GNers, this forum is better and kinder than most, but just as not everyone in life is kind, understanding and full of wisdom, not all on here are either.
Soops kitchen is a good place to start and all the non politics and news threads until you find your feet, and then join in all the threads if the subject interests you.
Charleygirl5 I seem to remember your shocking behaviour in the Argy Bargy Bar ( dancing on tables?) dead drunk and clutching a piece of Soops home made haggis.
I must revive the Argy Bargy Bar, and will be waiting to welcome all new members with a free pint of poteen.?

Charleygirl5 Tue 18-Jun-19 14:57:59

Ah lemongrove I was hoping you had the decency to forget about that very isolated incident. Somebody had laced my coffee, hence I was dancing on tables. I actually like to eat haggis but I would not touch anything made in the argy. The vast majority have never been introduced to soap and running water, hot or cold.

Keeper1 Tue 02-Jul-19 12:28:12

Hi, I am new to this site and I am busy getting to know all the different threads. I hope to get to know you all in time x

Grannycool52 Tue 02-Jul-19 18:58:53

Hi, I joined last week and am really enjoying getting to know Gransnet. There is such an interesting variety of members and viewpoints that I imagine I'll learn a lot as well as enjoy myself. Thanks, Ladies.

lara56 Wed 03-Jul-19 13:27:26

Hello to you all I'm Laraine, 62 and in the U.K I have a daughter, two stepsons and 7 grandchildren. Me and hubby are retired, enjoying our freedom from work and having more family time. Its good to be here on Gransnet!

Charleygirl5 Wed 03-Jul-19 14:18:30

Welcome Grannycool and lara. I spend far too much time on GN but since I joined years ago I have "met" some really nice people and I have also gone to some meetups which were excellent- meeting really lovely people.

Juno56 Sat 20-Jul-19 19:52:18

Hello, new joiner here. I am 63, wife (same hubby for 38 years), mother to a daughter and son and, my newest title, grandma to a little girl who is due to make her appearance at the end of November. Looking forward to 'getting to know' you all and reading the multitude of threads. X

FreddieB Sun 21-Jul-19 12:04:06

I’ve just joined Gransnet & am so pleased to have found such a great resource & group of people. I live in a small village in Wales, so am looking forward to chats on line & making new friends.

EllanVannin Sun 21-Jul-19 14:35:35

Are you a gran too FreddieB ?

Merseybelle2 Thu 01-Aug-19 17:35:43

Hello everyone. I only joined yesterday as I’ve been looking at the site for ages but was plucking up the courage to join. I really enjoy reading all the posts and look forward to meeting new people here. smile

Manhatten Thu 01-Aug-19 18:02:04

Hi, just joined today, found gransnet by happy accident. My first time on a chat forum. Have part time job which is slowly on its way out and husband who isn’t particularly sociable, So look forward to some chatting

Grammaretto Fri 02-Aug-19 11:21:12

Welcome Merseybelle and Manhatten !!
I hope you both find your favourite parts of Gransnet.
I have been on here a little over a year and am relaxing more. It isn't private though. Remember that your posts can be read by anyone so PM people if you want privacy.

dragonfly46 Fri 02-Aug-19 11:25:12

Welcome Manhatten and Merseybelle.

lilydily9 Fri 02-Aug-19 11:33:56

Hello everyone. I joined today! I tuned in to Radio 4 and listened to a discussion on writing for older women which is how I learned about Gransnet and the writing competition which must feature a female who is over 40. I love writing and am now thinking of entering.

My darling Grandson, Harry, passed away 2 year's ago. He was 13 and to say I miss him every day doesn't even come close. I am so proud to call myself his 'nan'.