Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

New to Gransnet?

(805 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 13-Sep-18 10:53:26

Any new joiners? smile If you've recently signed up to Gransnet or have been around a while but haven't got round to posting anything yet, please pop over to Welcome to Gransnet to introduce yourself and have a virtual cup of cafe or wine.

Charleygirl5 Mon 09-Mar-20 18:59:12

GrandmaMia1 welcome. I doubt if you will get a reply because it is not really the correct thread. If you start your own thread stating "Anybody fancy a meet up in North Devon for coffee" and see what happens. Scroll down the threads because I am almost sure there is a meetup in that area soon. Good luck.

SadafGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 10-Mar-20 11:31:31

Great to see regular posters welcoming our new users! GrandmaMia1, Charleygirl5 is absolutely right, please do feel free to start a new thread in our meet up section:

www.gransnet.com/forums/meet_ups_where_are_you

rayhansen60 Tue 10-Mar-20 13:29:37

I've just joined today and looking for friends to talk to

CherryCezzy Tue 10-Mar-20 14:10:39

Welcome Betty65, Maybelater2020, Grangmamial and*rayhansen60*, I'm a newbie too - joined 9 days ago. Nice to meet you all, maybe we'll bump into each other again soon.

CherryCezzy Tue 10-Mar-20 14:12:21

Sorry meant rayhansen60

Charleygirl5 Tue 10-Mar-20 15:41:42

Two of the more gentle threads are Good Morning and Soop's Kitchen. You will be welcomed in both and then you can put your tow in the water and dabb le further.

rayhansen60 Tue 10-Mar-20 16:00:14

Thank you for the welcome Cherry Where are you from?

Charleygirl5 Tue 10-Mar-20 16:08:39

Welcome rayhansen60 and any other newbies.

Isitlightyet Wed 11-Mar-20 12:12:34

Hi all, My first post as a newbie and maybe not the right place but wondered if anyone can help re difficult decision re covid-19. I’m booked to fly to south of France tomorrow to spend 6 weeks in a language school. family members, friends have different views about whether this is a good or bad idea. Feeling dizzy and overwhelmed after overthinking on this. Main concern is travelling through an international airport and then the plane and any potential hazards there. Next concern is that during my stay I’ll be travelling daily on buses and trains. What would you do? Thank you for any thoughts on this dilemma!!’

Charleygirl5 Wed 11-Mar-20 12:49:38

Welcome Isitlightyet. This is not really the thread for a specific question. If you scroll down the threads you will see Coronavirus ad nauseum and you will receive many viewpoints. I personally would not go- would you be able to get back easily?

Grannytails Thu 12-Mar-20 08:34:35

Hi everyone. Just joined today. I have 2 little Grandsons aged 4 and 6. Bouncy boys who keep Granny on her toes!!

SadafGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 12-Mar-20 10:41:19

Welcome Grannytails! We hope that you get to find lots of company and support on our forums.

BlueBelle Thu 12-Mar-20 17:03:11

Welcome grannytails isitlightyet reyhansen and any others I may have missed I hope you enjoy your stay on GN some stay for years some pop in and out and some disappear I hope you ll all belong to the former

Maybellex Wed 25-Mar-20 09:35:40

Hi everyone i just joined late.yesterday evening and think this place will save my sanity in these dreadful times. Out of this time of worry, loss, confusion, anger and frustration (all out of negatives) there will come heroism, acts of kindness from unexpected sources, appreciation of what I and my family have, patience, a habit if taking positive action instead of thinking about it, and brilliant cooking whilst rationing. At the moment I'm missing my little granddaughter aged 15m and worrying about my unborn grandson due in 6 weeks. Also appreciating not only NHS staff but all others deemed key; delivery drivers, shop workers, nursery and schools, bank workers, scientists, and the many others who have no choice about work.

SadafGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 25-Mar-20 12:01:55

Welcome Maybellex these are indeed difficult times and we're sure you'll find the support and companionship to help you through flowers

Maybellex Wed 25-Mar-20 15:10:14

Thank you SadafGransnet

almostelderly Tue 07-Apr-20 09:10:59

I am new to the site and having difficulty posting messages. There are 2 conflicting instructions in the FAQ's. I hope this message is received.

almostelderly Tue 07-Apr-20 09:24:44

I am new to the forum and am having difficulty posting comments. There appears to be conflicting instructions. I hope that this time I succeed.

DiscoDancer1975 Sat 11-Jul-20 09:22:22

I am sort of new. I was here about six months ago with a different username which I didn’t like in the end. I browsed more than posted, but hope to get more involved this time. I mostly like the menopausal, health type threads, having been a nurse many years ago. Hope to get to know some of you.

Charleygirl5 Sat 11-Jul-20 09:48:08

Welcome DiscoDancer there should be many threads which you will enjoy. If life ever returns to normal, you may well fancy one of the meetups, depending on where you live. In normal times I join two a month and we all get along so well.

DiscoDancer1975 Sat 11-Jul-20 11:01:55

Thank you Charley, yes ‘normal’, I forget what that was! Maybe see for real one day?

DiscoDancer1975 Sat 11-Jul-20 11:03:13

see you for real! You see, I’ve become rusty! Need to post more?

honeyrose Sat 18-Jul-20 18:31:59

Hi. I’m new to Gransnet - only joined this week. I am loving it and wish i’d joined it earlier. Still finding my way around it all and keep discovering more things of interest. I’m not normally a fan of any kind of social media (although I enjoy some aspects of it), but loving Gransnet as it’s right up my street! I have commented on a couple of topics, but also posted a piece called Lockdown Grandparenting - a subject that’s been bothering me. So far i’ve had about 10 responses and they have been very helpful - some people empathising me, but some taking a bit of a firmer view. All very useful - different ways of looking at things. I know it’s not an Agony Aunt facility, but the responses have given me a more balanced view. The range of topics on Gransnet is many and varied too - still to fully explore it, but feel excited to do so. In these days of uncertainty and tentative emergence from lockdown, it’s going to be my go-to website. Thank you Gransnet.

Didsbury Sun 16-Aug-20 20:54:26

I have just joined. I know it is called Gransnet but I am not a Gran or Grandad and I am over 60

Charleygirl5 Mon 17-Aug-20 09:08:49

Welcome Didsbury- one does not need grandchildren to join- I do not have any and I have been a member for many years. Ages do vary and I "know" one lady who is very computer literate and 88.