Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Why can't they cope?

(111 Posts)
paganqueen Sat 15-Dec-18 16:01:26

I am struggling to find sympathy for my AD. She has one 18 month old son but she constantly moans that her partner doesn't do anything/enough to help her. She is a stay at home mum and her partner works. I have him once a week. She was moaning today that she went out with her friends on Thursday night and her son slept the whole time she was out but when her partner went out last night her son was awake until 10pm and that's not fair because she didn't get her "Me time". I just keep thinking, when I was your age I had 2 kids under 4 and a husband who did 12 hour shift work, I never went out and when I had 4 kids, the youngest was 2 weeks old when my husband went away to work for 3 months, only coming home at the weekend. My baby was ill, passing blood and I had to take 3 kids to and from school, walking, and look after a sick baby all day and night all alone. Why can't they cope these days? I just don't know what to say to her when she whines on about how bad it is. I want to tell her to get over it but I have to be supportive.

Urmstongran Mon 17-Dec-18 09:34:06

Chord. Oops!

Febmummaofaboy Mon 17-Dec-18 09:56:19

I honestly think it is social media! The baby group of 10 girls I was in all seem to have been on multiple baby free holidays, weekends away as couples, spa days. They put all these photos on social media then a few days later another member of the group will post. E.g. One girl went to a spa day, next had a spa weekend, next had weekend away in hotel with hottub. I say to my husband all the time, social media is killing our generation, money is all spent and not saved and everyone is saying 'me time' or 'mummys night off'. I have a 10 month old, except for work and a operation we haven't been apart. I can't even imagine going out spending money on alcohol (even a cheap night out is usually £30) that could be saved for family time or savings for a house!

Urmstongran Mon 17-Dec-18 10:42:28

Chord.

Margs Mon 17-Dec-18 10:52:00

It sounds as if she's cultivating a martyr complex and I think the clue is in the whinge about "me time!"

Yeah - me!me!me! A wee bit of growing up is called for here, methinks.

JacquiG Mon 17-Dec-18 11:00:25

Old fashioned I know, but is it a wife's job to look after the family if she prefers not to work? (My daughter thinks this too, and she is a career woman who made sure she was at home for her children.)

There is the importance of parenting children properly, too.

oldbatty Mon 17-Dec-18 11:47:20

It is the job of 2 people i.e. the parents.

M0nica Mon 17-Dec-18 14:41:23

It takes two to make a bargain and two to bring the bargain up. Both parents as far as possible should share the bringing up of their children - and that includes cooking cleaning and laundry.

MissAdventure Mon 17-Dec-18 15:46:15

If one person is working and the other not, then I think its only fair that the at home one does the lions share of the 'at home' work.

Razzy Mon 17-Dec-18 22:18:50

If one person works outside the home and the other inside, then they should both get equal time off. I think women were sold the “have it all” dream, which in reality meant doing all the childcare, housework and mental chores when not at work, plus working a full time job. On the whole men continued to just do the day job. Women have had to “nag” men to share the chores. Men feel they have to help their partners with the chores. Whereas actually not helping their wives with chores and babysitting, they are taking care of the household tasks and parenting.
Women are under enormous pressure due to this double standard, and even more pressure due to social media portraying a fake, airbrushed view of women’s lives - the edited highlights - so that women feel they should be living up to this impossible standard.
Not all of this applies to the original post though.

MissAdventure Mon 17-Dec-18 22:28:57

I remember Paula Yates getting into hot water for saying much the same.
Her view was that rather than having it all, the reality, for women is 'doing it all'.