Gransnet forums

Health

Needing new glasses ?

(28 Posts)
Floradora9 Tue 08-Mar-16 11:35:12

I have recently had dealings with
www.reglazemyglasses.com
and cannot praise them highly enough. You ask for a pack to send them a pair of frames which you do not need but are happy with and they replace the lenses with whatever prescription you send them . It must be a recent prescription . I just hate choosing new glasses so found this great and they cost a fraction of the price of glasses from my optician . I have distance glasses , reading glasses and sunglasses and had lots of frames which were no longer in use . They contact you when they receive you glasses with a price list for you to choose from regarding thin lenses scratch resistant lenses etc. You can see the prices on thier website. For spare pairs of glasses I refused all extras and with a discount got reglazed glasses with recorded delivery return for under £15. If you are not happy with the quote they just return you glasses and it has not cost you a penny.
If you use this code you get £10 off your first order " Cardref10 "
I have no axe to grind regading this company but they have been so good to me changing the tint on my sunglasses and more that I though it was worth a mention.

M0nica Thu 23-May-19 16:43:31

But how can an online optician adjust your glasses to make sure the centre of focus is exactly where it should be and that they fit perfectly?. We all have different shaped faces and the frames lie differently on each.

Like Mumsy I go to an independent optician that I have been using for nearly 40 years. They are fantastic, every pair of glasses is tested on you before they are issued to make sure that the glasses are level, the focus is right and that the fit is perfect. Recently DH's glasses were sent back because there was a ver slight difference in the anti glare tint on each lens. A blind man would ahve been glad to see it.

Franbern Tue 28-May-19 10:09:57

I am fairly new to having to wear glasses. Have used them for sometime for driving, but when I had my cataracts done - I discovered that for the first time in my life I now need glasses for reading, etc.
I have one pair of varyfocals, a pair of reading glasses and my driving (long distance) glasses.
I am still in total shock at the cost of these - I do use a high street optician - they are very good, but horrendously expensive.
It seems crazy to me - as I am on Pension Credit, I get most of my dental treatment without any extra payment, my hearing aids are supplied free of charge by my local audiology centre, yet have to pay out such large sums for my sight.
Indeed, I have now made up my mind that varyfocals are just a luxury too far for me, and will not have them updated after my next eye test (should they need to be done). Will keep reading glasses, distance glasses for driving and that will be it.
As my family have used this optician for some 40years I am reluctant to just ask for the prescription - and TBH, would not be sure what to do with that and where to go.
How much do people here pay for their varyfocals? - I do think mine are vastly overpriced.