Gransnet forums

Health

I feel worse now.

(93 Posts)
morethan2 Thu 25-Apr-19 17:18:22

I’m a big listener of radio 4 while I’m doing housework. I’ve just listened on catch-up an interview with Clarke Carlisle (who I’ve never heard of) talk about depression and his attempted suicide. It was really interesting and he mentioned something called the Goldberg depression test Out of interest I googled it and up popped a questionnaire. So I did it, I answered the questions truthfully. I thought my answers were fairly positive so thought I’d get a your reasonably ok result, but no the result was Your moderately to severely depressed. I’m really shocked. I don’t really feel depressed or rather I didn’t before I took the test now I want to cry! I wonder if anyone of you fancy taking the test and sharing your result and how you feel about it. Ps I also bought the children’s dvd mentioned in the radio so maybe I’m just gullible.

BlueSapphire Fri 26-Apr-19 08:16:27

6%, depression unlikely, but then I knew that.

dragonfly46 Fri 26-Apr-19 08:20:49

I got depression unlikely and considering I have cancer and I am quite worried about it it doesn't seem to be a very reliable test. Although I have to say I am usually a very positive person.

harrigran Fri 26-Apr-19 08:30:39

My result was 0% and not depressed, very reassuring. I know that I am not that way inclined despite all our major health problems.

silverlining48 Fri 26-Apr-19 09:06:22

Morethan I am also a keen R4 listener but didn’t hear this programme.
Out of curiosity I have just taken the test and come out at 22% mild to moderate. While we, like you, have had worries, I thought my answers fairly positive so am rather surprised at the result. I shall ignore. Suggest you do too.

MandyRaff Fri 26-Apr-19 10:19:03

11% - if I had taken this test a couple of years ago I would not have had the same result though. If you feel depressed please get help. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem!! sad

Gothnana Fri 26-Apr-19 10:20:20

I scored 65 with a suggestion to seek immediate help. Good job I have a therapist already and on medication. I guess the medication is not working as well as I thought.

Aepgirl Fri 26-Apr-19 10:20:24

I just took the test - what a lot or rot. However, I’ve been rated as not depressed. Hurrah!

GabriellaG54 Fri 26-Apr-19 10:21:04

I don't need a test to know that I don't and never will have depression- it's not in my genetic make-up.
Nothing on earth could or would make me depressed.
I do, however, feel for those who are diagnosed as clinically depressed.
I suppose some would think 'down days' are depression but I think that many experience low moods without actually being depressed. IMO it encompasses various levels of inward thinking.

JCFrance Fri 26-Apr-19 10:22:19

Took the test out of interest. Oooooops severely depressed ?. Being feeling a bit fed up and putting tiredness down to being 60 not 40 now I feel worse.

Orelse Fri 26-Apr-19 10:22:37

Ignore it ! You know how you feel , for most of us everyday is different.... ups and downs ...and that's life...feelings come and go, so don't get down in the dumps by a survey that shows you are opposite to how you feel . If you had been out and not heard the programme you would probably have been quite happy . ,

On a lighter note , I did one about how " young in attitude you are " I turned out to be 19 not 69 and reasonably fit ( I'm not lol) and very active ( chasing the grandchildren about ) ...there wasn't a part on recovery time from having the grandchildren lol .
As someone else said, the interpretation of the results of your test has to be reviewed with a mental health professional who has also seen you 1 to 1 so don't fret .?

Gonegirl Fri 26-Apr-19 10:25:38

It's not rot. It's a very good indicator.

M0nica Fri 26-Apr-19 10:25:58

Scored 22 but two of the answers that gave me this score, were the result of my dyspraxia, not depression, so treat these tests with a certain amount of caution and think what else may be the cause of some of the symptoms you admit to. Few are unicausal.

GabriellaG54 Fri 26-Apr-19 10:28:43

Clarke Carlisle tried to end it all on more than one occasion. The last time he stepped in front of a lorry...selfish man.
Not thinking of his family OR the driver.

Orelse Fri 26-Apr-19 10:29:02

I just looked at the test Morethan2 and at the bottom is a disclaimer that says THIS IS NOT a diagnosis tool...
Go back and read it it says it's a basis for professionals to assess.

Chin up .... have a good weekend

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 26-Apr-19 10:31:09

I believe that when people try to end it all it's because they really think that they're doing their loved ones a favour, Gabriella so it's not really a selfish act. They're not thinking straight.

Stella14 Fri 26-Apr-19 10:32:58

Morethan2 this kind of test should really be administered by a professional who can take account of other aspects of your health and wellbeing. Sleep disturbance, aches and pains, feeling angry are all positive items for depression on a psychometric test. However, there can be sleep disturbance without depression. Age and arthritis can produce aches and pains and if the anger is about a specific, provocative event (eg Brexit) that doesn’t count either. They can be useful in a clinical setting, but if your GP administered one with you, s/he would/should have talked with you and asked various questions first.

Orelse Fri 26-Apr-19 10:34:54

Dragonfly .... that's NOT depression ... you are experiencing what would be expected from someone with a cancer diagnosis .... you wouldn't be jumping around the room would you ?. You sound very balanced to me , and coping at a difficult time . I felt the same when I was diagnosed ( 18 years ago ) .. a very normal reaction.

Good luck with your treatments ..staying positive helps everyone so be your positive usual self .... you can do this
???

Sparklefairydust Fri 26-Apr-19 10:38:06

94% severe depression, correct!

Sheilasue Fri 26-Apr-19 10:38:40

I just went in and did the test, I got 13 which they said would apply to a lot of people. I have had counselling after the death of my son, I would recommend it. It was cognetic behaviour therepy.
My son has been dead for 11 years but I still get depression and grief so counselling has helped me to manage it.

LJP1 Fri 26-Apr-19 10:41:30

I suspect that mild to moderate depression is the other side of 'some to quite a lot' of contentment / happiness so probably on the good side of normal.

Try reviewing your perception of the 'result'.

libra10 Fri 26-Apr-19 10:49:13

Score 6% - depression unlikely. What I expected, though I feel some of the questions are biased towards a positive depression response.

cathieb Fri 26-Apr-19 10:58:36

What a pointless and possibly dangerous test! It doesn’t reflect the ups and downs of mood in the everyday life of a normal well-rounded person. As someone else said... poor sleep, not concentrating well on reading etc do not necessarily have anything to do with depression. The test is angled to show that if you are not perfectly happy, speeding cheerfully through life and firing on all cylinders then something is wrong with you and you are probably ‘ill’. There are much better and more subtle tests out there, but I think most people know themselves when low mood is consistently stopping them functioning, which could be classed as depression.

quizqueen Fri 26-Apr-19 11:07:55

I just took the test and got 22%- mild-moderate depression. It's a total joke. I'm someone who thinks people who claim to be depressed, anxious etc. are of weak character and need to just get on with stuff without being a moaning minnie and I am, in no way, depressed myself. I'm just a strop, and an honest one at that, but that's something entirely different!

A lot of life's mishaps are generally bought on by the person themselves (weight issues, bad choice of partner, falling out with their families, choosing the wrong job etc.) so, if they changed their ways somewhat, they would see things improve without medication. There's too much reliance on what people see as a free health service, and a benefits system which really should only be a temporary safety net and not a way of life.

blueberry1 Fri 26-Apr-19 11:11:51

89% Severe.And I am on the highest dose of my anti-depressants!

Hollycat Fri 26-Apr-19 11:25:23

I scored 5 - no depression likely. So I’ve decided not to slit my wrists after all!! I think these tests really have to be done by a clinician, don’t read too much into them. My daughter found one on Asperger’s syndrome and we all did it completely honestly. Turns out I’m the only one who’s not on the spectrum!! I’d often wondered about the others ?