Gransnet forums

Health

What if...?

(60 Posts)
BlueSky Fri 31-Jan-20 10:19:22

I suffer from 'What ifs' and this is my latest. What if DH and I were in an accident together who would inform our children and how would they find them as they live abroad? We have no other close relatives nearby. As you can see my mind can be quite lively especially in the early hours ...confused

welbeck Sat 01-Feb-20 22:14:30

a neighbour near me used to never leave her house without taking her bus pass, other ID, and contact details for her sons.
she did this even if only going for a 15 min walk in the park across the road, even though she had her phone, and I was with her and I had my phone too.
at first I was puzzled why she needed a bus pass to walk in the park. she said it was in case we were both incapacitated.
anyway, people who are worried about such eventualities could just do old fashioned note or mini diary in wallet or handbag, with details, next of kin, GP, allergies, also in car.

Grammaretto Sat 01-Feb-20 22:24:05

I used to be on a church committee discussing funerals and what to do when someone died. One of the things we discussed was a personal request document to be filled in , while you were still compos mentis, with anything you would like such as to be buried or cremated, who to contact and so on and I suppose where to find your last will and testament. It was particularly meant for those living alone.
This document was to be left in the fridge!

I know it does sound strange but seemingly people look in the fridge and would find your list.

I can't say I've followed the advice. wink

Ellianne Sat 01-Feb-20 22:38:22

I'm not sure I understand why some of you are saying ICE is useless? I have it displayed on my phone in its locked state. No need for PIN or swiping.

Madwoman11 Sun 02-Feb-20 07:51:08

I got a card from ebay who to contact in emergency, and keep in my purse. They print your chosen details on it
I have my mobile screen locked, but I have managed to put my family's contacts In Case Of Emergency as screen saver

kittylester Sun 02-Feb-20 08:51:48

I'm baffled too Ellianne.

I've just checked my phone on the locked screen and I can access my ICE numbers without the PIN. Mine is an android.

Pittcity Sun 02-Feb-20 08:55:47

We're not saying ICE is useless Ellianne. It's just that some people have ICE in their contacts hidden behind a lock. We are pointing out that this needs to be accessible info without having to unlock the phone.
I have heard of putting written details in the fridge. Can't say that's the first place I'd look.

kittylester Sun 02-Feb-20 09:07:29

I think the individual settings are wrong if ICE is inaccessible without a pin.

Pitt, The 'Message in a Bottle' link I provided above is recognised by all the Emergency Services. It has small stickers which are placed near the front door to alert Paramedics etc that it is in the fridge. They contain details of contacts and current medication.

I think they are available, free, nationwide.

kittylester Sun 02-Feb-20 09:10:50

www.lions105sw.org.uk/district-projects/message-in-a-bottle/

The link again - really worth checking out.

Pittcity Sun 02-Feb-20 09:19:12

Yes Kitty, it's comparable to having it under E for emergency in your address book instead of having it on the front page.

Thanks for the link.