Gransnet forums

Health

What are you doing to boost your natural immunity?

(93 Posts)
effalump Sat 02-Oct-21 10:32:36

This is for people who, generally, think themselves fit and healthy. Which supplements do you use? Are there certain foods you find helpful? Do you have age-old family remedies that you still use? Do any of you eat fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir or kombucha and how effective are they for you? How about essential oils, do these work for you?

LtEve Sun 03-Oct-21 11:21:54

I try and maintain a good variety of gut bacteria, I buy as many cheeses made from unpasteurised milk as possible and eat as many different coloured vegetables as I can, particularly those inulin rich ones like leeks, onions and the dark green leafy veg. I do buy kefir and eat sauerkraut. A moderate amount of red wine and dark chocolate helps boost antioxidant levels.
I started eating a more Mediterranean diet like this at the beginning of 2020 on the advice of my NHS physio as I had tendinitis and he suggested an anti inflammatory diet. The tendinitis went and I’m convinced the change in diet for both DH and me helped us get over Covid in May 2020 with relative ease. We don’t take any supplements.

muse Sun 03-Oct-21 11:59:14

I'm outside when the weather's good. Lots of gardening, walking the dog and do pilates. Even done the pilates outside on the warm/hot days we sometimes get.
We have a fairly balanced diet, full of veg and fruit, fish for me and occasional meat for DH. I love cooking and use lots of different herbs and spices and try to keep the biscuits and cakes to small amounts. Could do with loosing about half a stone. Current favourite cakes are my beetroot brownies?.
Never smoked but I do like a G+T.
Try to minimise stress but don't always succeed with this.
We both have all recommended vaccines. I stopped having steroid injections last year in my thumbs and now have turmeric tablets daily. It's working?. DH takes magnesium tablets to help with terrible night cramps. They are working too?. No other supplements.

kittylester Sun 03-Oct-21 12:05:14

I take a Wellwoman 70 multivitamin which provides at least 100% RDA of everything so I don't take any extras. DH takes the male equivalent.

Kali2 Sun 03-Oct-21 12:15:31

Curcuma as an anti-inflmmatory for joints but also as a preventative for Alzheimers. And will probably start taking Vit D again when the weather turns.

At the moment, spending as much time as possible outdoors, walking in woods, getting as much fresh air and sunlight as possible.

Kali2 Sun 03-Oct-21 12:16:06

Oh and Gi-Gung- switching exercises now to prepare for winter.

M0nica Sun 03-Oct-21 15:45:59

I follow the mantra 'Eat well, not too much, most of it plants' and its corollary: 'If it is made from a plant eat it, if it is made in a plant (factory) don't. I have always led an active and healthy life and I take a broad spectrum of supplements drawn up by Dr Paul Clayton, an expert in nutrition and supplements, plus Vit D in the winter.

I am 78 and so far I am not on any medication and I do not have any health problems. That could of course change suddenly, but so far so good.

kittylester Sun 03-Oct-21 17:09:57

I'd be interested in the evidence about curcuma being a preventative for Alzheimer's disease, Kali2, could you provide a link?

Callistemon Sun 03-Oct-21 17:19:43

My arthritis has flared up really badly so I throw every anti inflammatory I can into the blender!
What natural anti-inflammatory would you recommend, Maybee70?

We will start taking Vit D again now but tend not to take it every day.

Curcuma as an anti-inflammatory for joints
Do you find it helps, Kali2?

I'm sure some foods make it flare up but can't work out which, wondered if it could be tomatoes.

MayBee70 Sun 03-Oct-21 17:48:45

The papaya is anti inflammatory. As is the turmeric and I’m pretty sure pineapple is, too. There was something for sale on the internet for arthritis and I made a note of the ingredients. It mentioned biotin but I haven’t got that.I’m not sure if freeze dried stuff is as good as fresh but I can’t buy papaya and pineapple all the time. I should take ginger as well but it doesn’t go with the other things. I’m sure my Shakti mat is helping, too.

MayBee70 Sun 03-Oct-21 17:49:46

Tomatoes are definitely bad for arthritis. And I always feel better if I don’t eat bread.

Callistemon Sun 03-Oct-21 17:56:22

Thanks Maybee70
Yes, I find bread doesn't help and did wonder if eating tomatoes and stinging joints was not just a coincidence either.

Papaya is known as a contraceptive - not that anyone should trust that alone - but perhaps it has something to do with hormone levels. I'm not keen on papaya but might look for dried or powdered versions.

Kali2 Sun 03-Oct-21 18:00:45

The work of Professor Hostettman, from Geneva and Lausanne Uni, working with Chinese and Indian Universities. Will try and find links in English.

Kali2 Sun 03-Oct-21 18:01:34

Curcuma is a powerful anti-imflammatory, which acts on the brain too. They also have had excellent results with people already affected by this awful disease.

Kali2 Sun 03-Oct-21 18:05:34

This one is in French- he mentions green tea and coffe too.

www.revmed.ch/view/541013/4359496/RMS_459_251.pdf

Kali2 Sun 03-Oct-21 18:09:24

Another from a different research team.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2781139/

Big Pharmas have been trying to stop this kind of research, as there is little money in providing support or cures provided by natural ingredients which can be sourced for little money.

Money and profit being the reason.

BlueSky Sun 03-Oct-21 18:52:17

Wow M0nica 78 and not on any medication! That’s fantastic, you are a lucky lady!

M0nica Sun 03-Oct-21 19:15:01

My aunt, not by marriage, lived to 96, without medication until close to the end when her dementia was causing her to have hallucinations and to be always fearful. She was then on drugs to calm her.

BlueSky Sun 03-Oct-21 19:23:12

Good genes M0nica! When I’ve been asked in hospital what medication I’m on, and I say just BP tablets, they seem rather surprised as if expecting a long list!

M0nica Mon 04-Oct-21 10:33:00

BlueSky I agree, good genes.

I do always keep reminding myself that things can change and rapidly and for no obvious reason, I have seen this happen to so many, so I just live for the day.

Naninka Mon 04-Oct-21 11:47:40

Magnesium, tumeric, centrum 50+, nettle tea.
You only need 6 Brazil nuts a month to get the right amount of selenium.

Babs758 Mon 04-Oct-21 11:50:46

Vitamin D from 1 October onwards, regular swimming, lots of fish and vegetables, wearing a mask (!), and sleep with windows open..
Some interesting comments re arthritis here.. I do eat a lot of tomatoes and quite a bit of bread..

inishowen Mon 04-Oct-21 11:53:28

I take vit D over the winter. Also Evening Primrose Oil which was recommended by a doctor.

Dee1012 Mon 04-Oct-21 12:02:56

I was recently diagnosed with an autoimmune condition and during my last appointment with the Consultant, asked about this.
His advice was a varied diet, a good quality general vitamin / mineral supplement, vit D and vit' B12 plus folic acid.

I've always taken a general supplement but since adding the B12 and folic acid, feel an improvement. Hair and skin have improved and I'm sleeping better!
Perhaps psychological but I'll take that if it works for me grin.

Frogs Mon 04-Oct-21 12:15:59

I notice that many have mentioned Vitamin D supplements. I have suffered from acid reflux for about 10 years and have tried many ways to try and control this naturally by diet, not eating late, raising the end of the bed, cider vinegar (which made it worse) etc etc but more recently have been taking Omeprazole.
However when I was prescribed Vitamin D supplements by my GP my acid reflux went into overdrive. I had no idea it was these tablets that was causing this til the GP pointed it out. It took months afterwards to settle down.
Has anybody else had this and perhaps been able to overcome this side affect ?

lil57 Mon 04-Oct-21 12:16:28

Vitamin D and Actimel