Gransnet forums

House and home

Vacuum Cleaners

(74 Posts)
lindiann Thu 02-Feb-17 15:44:52

Hi can anyone recommend a good vacuum cleaner. I have pets so needs to suction well and fairly light as my old one was very heavy. Thank you smile

lindiann Thu 02-Feb-17 15:46:32

Also what do you think of cordless V Corded and recharge times?

J52 Thu 02-Feb-17 16:40:49

After having a Mele, which was very good for many years we switched to a Henry. It's just as good and nowhere as expensive. We've just bought a Dyson hand held rechargeable, V6 animal which is brilliant for a quick tidy up and the stairs.
Don't know how I lived without it!

whitewave Thu 02-Feb-17 16:41:55

Yes we have a Miele and have been looking at a cordless.

radicalnan Fri 03-Feb-17 09:14:27

Henry will pick up things and not be temperamental, I use him once a week for everywhere then during the week have one of the G Tech ones, which is light and easy but does not give it the welly that Henry does.

Henry is also useful as sort of grabber when things are out of my reach............

Deeana1 Fri 03-Feb-17 09:18:52

I have the Miele Cat and Dog, it's the best Cleaner I've ever had. I have a Henry at work, and it's a pity party compared to the Miele. I'd had just about every make on the market before the Miele, and I would never ever go back to any of the others. This is the jewel in the crown of Vacuum cleaners..I've had it for about 5 years now, and it's never once gone wrong

Teddy123 Fri 03-Feb-17 09:21:26

My favourite is my HENRY - efficient simple and just pulls along behind you. The small nozzle is great for soft furnishings. Loads of power.

I have one upstairs and a second downstairs .... Just to save on carting it up and down.

I even use mine for hoovering up the leaves which which collect outside the front door! It's very strong ..... Which is why builders use them!

Highly recommended.

glammanana Fri 03-Feb-17 09:22:09

I have the Dyson Animal and just love it,my DD has the Miele and would not part with it she classes it as her best friend.

Neversaydie Fri 03-Feb-17 09:23:11

My DH who does the vaccing is wedded to his Dyson .
I like a Henry myself but it's harder on the back so DD1 has ours .She is renovating a property and it copes with real grot.
I'd like one of those G tec Air ram ( ?) Ones to live upstairs as I believe that are very light but effficient, but it seems a bit extravagant

lionpops Fri 03-Feb-17 09:24:58

I have a Bosch which was Which recommended. The library normally has issues of it. Otherwise go to John Lewis and they sticker the products Which recommended.

Iam64 Fri 03-Feb-17 09:25:50

Never, the Dyson cordless I bought was extravagant but it means I don't need a hoover upstairs, as I can nip up with the light cordless. So - cheap as chips really smile

mernice Fri 03-Feb-17 09:27:58

Sebo is a wonderful upright cleaner.

vwaves Fri 03-Feb-17 09:29:49

My daughter and I have miele. Very good and light. She has compact but I have size up which I prefer. It stores the tools inside.
My parents have a cordless which is great but I think you need normal Hoover as well.

carol49cat Fri 03-Feb-17 09:35:31

I swear by my Oreck upright, now over 10 years old and still going strong, even with cats. It came with a handy small cylinder cleaner for stairs and corners etc. Big plus for me is that it only weighs eight and a half pounds. Downside is the price of the bags but they hold a lot and seal as you remove them so there is no mess.

charliebb Fri 03-Feb-17 09:35:46

I have a Dyson Animal, brilliant cleaner but as I get older I am finding it too heavy to push around and lug up the stairs. Thinking of selling it, still works perfectly after 7 years but I need something lighter!

nannypiano Fri 03-Feb-17 09:38:55

I invested in a Dyson a few years ago, good cleaner, but oh so heavy. I recently bought a Vax cordless, used it 3 times and it wasn't picking anything up at all. Vax refunded me fully, thank you to them, couldn't fault the service. Have now reverted back to my lovely boy Henry, good for car, stairs and never refuses any task .... Bit of a gobbler though if pointed at the wrong thing. But I love him and won't change again ever.

Cindy Fri 03-Feb-17 09:49:36

I have a cordless Dyson & think it's brilliant. Lightweight but very efficient getting into all the nooks & crannies & also ideal for the car. On full charge, lasts for 20 minutes but also has an intense clean which is great for ground in dirt. You may be able to get a part exchange through Dyson, because they offered me one a while back.

Elenkalubleton Fri 03-Feb-17 09:49:41

I've had a few different vacuums over the year but as I've got older I found I was dreading the vacuuming,and asked husband to do it he didn't mind at first.But then when Friday came round which is the day I give it a good doing,he started say " oh it's not that day again".so we went and bought a stick Dyson,it's brilliant I use it and it's almost a pleasure.It only cleans for 20 mins, which is enough for our size house.You can leave it on charge all the time so it's always ready.

Charleygirl Fri 03-Feb-17 09:53:48

I have a Miele Cat &Dogs for upstairs and a much lighter Miele for downstairs. I have had both for many years and they are great.

Crazygrandma2 Fri 03-Feb-17 09:54:06

Cordless Dyson Absolute v6. Only wish I'd bought one earlier. Finally a machine that I can actually handle. I believe the new Gtech maybe worth a look as it turns all the dust into little packets which made it easy to empty. Dyson can be a bit tricky at times on that front, but otherwise a superb piece of kit.

Doreen5 Fri 03-Feb-17 09:54:15

SEBO without a doubt! Also used by the Royal Household.

Bluesmum Fri 03-Feb-17 09:54:29

GTech Air Ram for the floors, light, super suction, does a fabulous job, and i already had the Dyson stick that converts to a hand held for all the other jobs. Really cannot be beaten. My friend speaks very highly of the GTech hand held too.

jacalpad Fri 03-Feb-17 09:56:27

I love my Dyson upright. Best picker-upper I have ever had. It is 10 years old, and after a recent 'service' by hubby is as good as new. After falling down the lower half of the stairs with said Dyson in hand 16 months ago, I now have a cordless Dyson 'Fluffy' to use upstairs. Very lightweight and very efficient. Love it, but I do have to keep recharging it (obviously!), which took some getting used to! smile

Sheilasue Fri 03-Feb-17 09:58:08

I want to get the cordless dyson, my daughter has just bought/brought one said it's great.

Purpledaffodil Fri 03-Feb-17 09:59:20

I have a Dyson cordless I bought specifically when DDs two long haired cats were in residence. Long battery life, very light and picks up well. Pricey but I love it!