Gransnet forums

House and home

Feeling like your home isn't yours due to other relatives

(58 Posts)
Zorro21 Sun 04-Mar-18 16:45:44

I wondered if other Gransnetters have a husband who has relatives who ask to use the house they live in for other purposes ?

I was invited and went to my husband's grandaughter's baby shower yesterday. One of his daughters has just started training to teach yoga. She will need in the future to have a place where she can do this. She does have her own large house, but one of his other grandaughters (they are twins) said why not ask Grandad if you can use a room in his house. This was not said in jest. I would love my husband and I to live our own life, and he was not pleased when I told him what went on. Especially as he is 80. Any advice ?

silverlining48 Sun 04-Mar-18 17:01:29

Sorry, no. would be the honest response. (Are you sure they werent joking about? ).

Niobe Sun 04-Mar-18 17:02:12

Just say no! Or alternatively ask if you can watch the lessons and keep up a running commentary . She wil soon have no clients.

Auntieflo Sun 04-Mar-18 17:02:44

Can you possibly just say no! You must talk it over with DH, but there will be times that you are both out, and will not want others to be in your house,.

SueDonim Sun 04-Mar-18 17:12:03

Say no, if you don't want it in your home.

There may well be house insurance and council change of use ramifications, too, if she's running a business.

Oopsadaisy12 Sun 04-Mar-18 17:29:38

As suedonim says it will invalidate your home Insurance also what happens about toilet facilities for her clients?
I wanted to start a business in my own home, gave it up as everything made our home into a ‘commercial property’ any excuse to wriggle out of a claim and get more money out of you.
The pitfalls are many!
Put your foot down with a firm hand.... and say No.

Chewbacca Sun 04-Mar-18 17:40:04

No is a complete sentence. Just that.

BlueBelle Sun 04-Mar-18 17:50:47

No of course not for all the above reasons don’t even consider it she can book a church hall like most others do or start of in her own home but NOT yours you can’t possible consider people trampling around in your home very unfair to even consider it Maybe she was just joking but just be prepared to say a big NO if it does drop up as a genuine question

Cold Sun 04-Mar-18 18:22:54

There are a lot of implications of running a business from a private house and I would not be happy to allow it. Your home insurance probably does not allow it to be used for business purposes and what would happen if one of her customers was injured at your home?

Then there is the issue of not knowing who is coming in and out - what if damage was done or something was stolen by a customer?

Also you may find that your neighbours complain to the council if it creates parking problems.

I would just say NO if she is serious

M0nica Sun 04-Mar-18 18:35:42

Say NO, NO, NO.

There will be all sorts of problems if you give way. Your house and contents insurance will be invalidated, even if the claim does not arise from the classes being run in your home. Your house will need to be inspected by the council to check it meets fire standards and has adequate fire extinguishers, exits etc. What about parking? Is there an adequate amount of parking. will it cause neighbours problems.

I had a neighbour who used, on occasions, hire her barn out for classes of about 10-15 people and it caused us and other neighbours endless problems, we were constantly having to yank people out of the class because we were blocked in. The only reason we didn't go to the council was because it was only 4 days a year.

paperbackbutterfly Mon 05-Mar-18 09:36:20

I think that's really cheeky! Does she intend to pay you rent for the space? I would say No as my privacy is important to me.

Witzend Mon 05-Mar-18 09:45:06

Crikey! No way, would be my response, maybe put a tad more politely, but still exceedingly firm.
This is what on MN they call CF behaviour!
(Cheeky **cker, in case anyone is unaware)

icanhandthemback Mon 05-Mar-18 09:45:35

You haven't said what you replied when this was mentioned. If you responded negatively, you'll probably not hear anything more about it. It may well be they were just testing the water or it could have been an innocent remark from a young person who hasn't really thought it through. You have perfectly valid reasons to say no on the grounds of insurance issues and so should have no problem in gently declining.

GabriellaG Mon 05-Mar-18 09:47:20

Haha...there is no question about it.
NO NO and thrice NO (as Frankie Howerd would have said)
If you REALLY fancy hordes of yoga pupils trooping into your house for lessons and perhaps even your kitchen, in pursuit of drinks/smoothies plus using your toilet facilities, then go right ahead.
I guess that you don't, therefore the polite answer is 'NO, we need to have some peace at our age'. No apology needed. I think it's more than cheeky to even ask, as you say that she (or her parents) has a large house of her own.

razzmatazz Mon 05-Mar-18 09:47:52

Definitely NO. I think it is a cheek.

Apricity Mon 05-Mar-18 09:48:41

What puzzles me is why the fairly straight forward and obvious answer of saying NO is so difficult? Leaving aside all the possible insurance, legal, rent or any other ramifications, it is your house and it doesn't suit you. End of conversation. Why is saying NO so difficult? Are there other issues at play here?

Jaycee5 Mon 05-Mar-18 09:53:20

I knew someone who worked as a mortgage broker and he tried to start from his own home but it was the parking that caused the problem. He got reported to the Council and fell out with his neighbours.
At least he had something to gain but you would have all sorts of problems and would gain nothing except keeping a granddaughter happy (although people often fall out when they enter into that sort of arrangement so you could end up falling out with her as well).
Hopefully she won't ask you, but if she does you can just say your insurance doesn't cover it and hopefully leave it at that.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 05-Mar-18 09:56:34

I'm assuming your DH doesn't want a yoga class in your home either from what you said.

Is the problem that he does not want to be the one to say NO and that you are the step-gran and automatically the one behind the refusal in his family's eyes?

If you and DH are in total agreement then all you need is to write done all the valid points the others who have read this have mentioned so you have them to hand if the grandchild tries to argue when you and DH say no.

Zorro21 Mon 05-Mar-18 09:58:32

I did say "No" to the person who suggested it at the time. My problem is that although I am the wife, all of them go to Grandad and get granted all kinds of favours, due to guilt over past divorce. He will deny them nothing and they know it and play on it.

GoldenAge Mon 05-Mar-18 09:59:33

Zorro21 - you just say no - and you don't wait for the request to be made formally either - take the first opportunity to say in a casual manner something like 'by the way, just wanted to say if you were thinking seriously about asking to run your business from our home, that if would be out of the question' - do not add things like it would invalidate your insurance etc., because if the granddaughter is keen she may offer to pay for business insurance and the additional council tax - you have to tell the truth and say this would be an imposition on your lives.

Teddy123 Mon 05-Mar-18 09:59:46

What made uncomfortable reading for me is that they referred to it as "grandad's house" as though you didn't have a say in the matter. Most likely a slip of the tongue ....
Just say "No" .......

lilihu Mon 05-Mar-18 10:00:22

The comment may have been said without any previous thought?
Some great answers above- tons of reasons to just say no!
The government web site offers plenty of advice and links here: www.gov.uk/run-business-from-home
There are so many things to check out - perhaps acceptable if you are needing to start a home business yourself but definitely not for the faint hearted.
The link may be useful for the granddaughter if she decides to start at her own home.

Zorro21 Mon 05-Mar-18 10:01:52

We already had a problem where he agreed to a small camping evening in the garden for his grandson - I wasn't consulted. Numerous boys and girls turned up - too many to handle and due to the noise the neighbours complained. I of course got the blame for agreeing with the neighbour. This is an example of how he won't say no.

EmilyHarburn Mon 05-Mar-18 10:06:59

Say no for all the reasons the contributors to this thread have already expressed.

The best place to set up practice is with a group of wholistic therapists already functioning. You then rent space on certain days & evenings. As has been mentioned this facility is then already covered by public liability, has the right amenities and your relative has to have her own personal insurance for her practice.

MissAdventure Mon 05-Mar-18 10:10:08

Saying no isn't going to work if you're constantly overruled, which seems to be the case.
Are you happy for this to continue for the rest of your life, or is it at least bearable, say, if you were to totally refuse to give an opinion?