Gransnet forums

House and home

Need a new mattress! Sorry it’s boring!

(93 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Sat 28-Apr-18 07:51:24

For years we have enjoyed our pocket sprung mattress but lately my back is aching after lying in it for a few hours. Always have back trouble but this ache reminds me of the kind you get when on holiday and you long for your bed back at home. Can anyone recommend a really comfortable pocket sprung bed and where you got yours? Also, how did you get rid of your old mattress as it is heavy one. We have one of those wooden slat beds so only need the mattress. (My husband thinks it’s okay but it was bought in the eighties and we have always loved it. He says my back is old age).

Auntieflo Sat 28-Apr-18 08:31:11

Some say that IKEA beds can be good.

ninathenana Sat 28-Apr-18 08:44:04

I read the other day that you should replace your mattress every 9 years.
So maybe it is time for a new one smile
We bought ours with the bed frame from Dreams. Our local council will collect large items for disposal for a small fee.

Greenfinch Sat 28-Apr-18 08:52:03

We love our IKEA bed .They would deliver the mattress and take the old one away for a small fee.

Sar53 Sat 28-Apr-18 08:52:04

We recently bought a new mattress from Bensons. We tried them all out in the shop. So far seems comfortable but it is all a matter of personal choice.
Benson's recommended a local man who for a small fee came and took our old mattress away.

Greyduster Sat 28-Apr-18 09:04:40

I hope you find one that stops your back aching - there’s nothing worse. We are in the process of changing ours - the council took the old one (which wasn’t very old and was very heavy) yesterday and the new one will come on Wednesday, but I have a very bad, expensive record with mattresses. I have chosen the last three mattresses we have had and then hated all of them. They have all been very good makes. We have gone from pocket springs to memory foam and then springs with a memory foam topper, and are now going back to pocket springs. If I don’t get this one right I will be in permanent exile in the garden shed! DH takes very little part in mattress choosing as he says he can sleep on anything and, it seems, he can.

aggie Sat 28-Apr-18 09:09:12

No one can test a mattress for you nor can they say what is right for you . You need to go to a reputable shop and try it out . Too firm a bed is now said to be bad for your back , it has to have a wee bit of give to support your spine in the right places . We had an orthopaedic mattress for years but it was wasn't comfortable and the last one I bought is much better , from a local bedding department in an independent furniture store

Charleygirl Sat 28-Apr-18 09:52:01

Normally I would go from shop to shop testing then I bought a memory foam topper which I liked. Not long afterwards I bought a memory foam mattress on line and I love it. I still have the topper because without it the bed would be a tad low.

Greyduster Sat 28-Apr-18 10:12:13

Laying on a bed in a shop doesn’t tell you a great deal either, but you can get caught out going to the other extreme. We used the same holiday cottage several years running and the mattress really needed changing - then one year, hey presto, a new mattress! We spent a week sleeping in blissful comfort and decided that when we got home, as our mattress needed changing, we would buy the same mattress, so we took all the details off the label and went to a considerable amount of expense to secure the same mattress. There were only two shops in the city that stocked them. Three days into sleeping on this thing we both felt as if we were being cooked, it generated so much heat. The people we bought it from contacted the bed manufacturer who sent a rep out to see us. She couldn’t come up with any explanation, except to tell us to put a cotton mattress cover on it and sleep in cotton if we could. Talk about preaching to the converted! So we were stuck with it, until we moved here and it was relegated to the spare bedroom. When we ask guests if they slept well, they always say yes, but your bed is a tad warm!

GrandmaMoira Sat 28-Apr-18 10:22:18

I agree with the comment that you should not have a firm bed if you have backache, particularly for smaller women. The "orthopaedic" mattresses are too hard and I get painful shoulders with them. I made this mistake and next time will buy a medium mattress.

Nanah67 Sat 28-Apr-18 17:59:18

Just been out and bought a third mattress in as many months.I have two slipped discs and was getting severe hip pain from old mattress. The first one was a firm one. I ended up crippled. The next one recommend by my orthopedic consultant succes at last. He said the word orthopedic should be banned in realation to mattress. It is a respa gel 1700 pocket sprung medium to firm grade 3 bed and has a cooling gel in topper. No more night sweats either am sure getting a great nights sleep. The only drawback is they need extra deep sheets so have had to buy them to fit. Today we bought another one for spare room cost £650 but worth every penny..make sure to try before you buy the first one I gave to new hostel opening close by it cost £950.

hildajenniJ Sat 28-Apr-18 18:48:14

9 years?,

My mattress has recently developed a very annoying squeak. Every time I turn over it squeaks. I had it in my previous house, and moved here 15 years ago. It's well past it now if 9 years is the current life of a mattress! I must look in to changing it.

tinaf1 Sat 28-Apr-18 19:33:08

Bit off topic but has anyone got one of those adjustable beds (the ones you can make rise up and down) was thinking about one of these as I like to read in bed but find resting on pillows causes me backache.

Jane10 Sat 28-Apr-18 21:13:45

It's mattress companies that tell you to buy a new one every nine years. Wonder why??! hmm

Nanah67 Sat 28-Apr-18 22:39:25

I have had old mattress for 10 years and it did not last past the 9 year point.I know old mattress did go on forever but these new ones need replacing as they just wear out.

kaybomba Sun 29-Apr-18 09:33:28

I love my mattress and have no intentions of replacing it! It’s a Relyon

PenJK50 Sun 29-Apr-18 09:34:44

We’ve changed mattresses roughly every 10 years (46th anniversary soon). For the last 10 years we had a Tempur memory foam bed and mattress but I found it increasingly difficult to move once in bed and it was very warm in bed. We paid a very worthwhile visit to our local John Lewis where we received great advice and we purchased a new sprung mattress in the sale. It was expensive but worth it as it’s very comfortable. John Lewis took away our old mattress

lucky77 Sun 29-Apr-18 09:47:31

I have been buying Relaxsan mattresses for over 20 years they are so comfortable, this one is the one I buy
Relaxsan Waterlattex Vision Deluxe if you put that into Google you will find stockists, they are made in Italy. You can read about all the different types of their mattresses on the Relaxsan website, Family who sleep in my bed say where did you get your mattress from? I bought them for all my children when they were growing up and they now buy them for their beds in their own houses. A double is around £369.

yogagran Sun 29-Apr-18 09:47:33

tinafl We have an electric automatic bed. Bought a few years ago because my OH suffers with hay fever and asthma. He was always trying to prop himself up with pillows which was never successful so we opted for a new automatic bed. He likes it - I don't. We bought two single beds as I didn't want to be propped up too but that brings the problems. We make do with the king size duvet but two lots of bottom sheets as you can't have a double bottom sheet if one mattress is going to be raised up and they're not the easiest to fit when you change the sheets. There's always a risk of one of us finding the gap in the middle. On the plus side it was wonderful when I had my hip done and I had to sleep on my back for six weeks

Jaycee5 Sun 29-Apr-18 09:48:01

I think most companies now will take away the old. Carpetright does. They may charge a fee but it will generally be nominal compared to getting in a rubbish collecting company.

harrigran Sun 29-Apr-18 09:52:59

We bought a firm mattress from JL a lot of years ago, I used to wake up with awful backache, now relegated to our second home for occasional use only.
The very best mattresses we have are Hulsta, very comfortable. I also have a Hulsta adjustable bed, not all they are cracked up to be, when the head is raised you slide down the bed unless you raise the middle section under your
knees.

Purplepoppies Sun 29-Apr-18 10:10:04

I've had 3 mattresses in 3 years too trying to find the right one for my back (slipped discs). My original was a miracoil silent night & that was what I've ended up with!! It has layer of sheepskin type material on the top so no need for a topper but is still firm & not at all hot. I've slept on memory foam mattresses and they did not agree with me at all, I couldn't get comfortable and they were very warm, not what I needed to go with my night flushes.
Some bed shops have gadgets that measure where support is required when you lye on the bed, this method definitely worked for my mum. She bought hers in Benson's I think.
My mattress came from an online store the name of which escapes me ?.

NotSpaghetti Sun 29-Apr-18 10:11:29

I think it depends on your budget.
My daughter bought one she loved in the shop but was terrible at home. She put up with it for a year or more but in the end she found a company (maybe John Lewis?) who let you exchange your mattress if you don’t like it after about a month trying it at home.
Although there was a charge for this it gave her the confidence to buy again.
Might be worth thinking about.

Lazigirl Sun 29-Apr-18 10:12:56

We both have back problems and were seduced by ads for (expensive) memory foam mattresses and they did seem very comfortable in the shop. After sleeping on one for a few months we found it uncomfortable and very hot, this was winter too. It was also difficult changing the bottom fitted sheet as mattress folded when lifted. It is now in our spare room and we bought a JL natural collection pocket sprung medium, and it is brilliant.

NotSpaghetti Sun 29-Apr-18 10:13:27

Our mattress was bought after a one night hotel stay in the most comfortable bed ever!
I called them up the next week and asked what it was.