Gransnet forums

House and home

Do you act on “urges”?

(59 Posts)
MawBroon Wed 30-May-18 12:06:48

I really didn’t mean to do more than put some ironing away, but somehow I found myself bagging up sheets, pillowcases and duvet covers I no longer use and have filled two huge bags for the charity shop.
Then I started on the shoes...5 pairs (one pair looks unworn!)
Ready to go.
Better stop, although I do have an urge to polish some silver, after supper with friends the other night who still use theirs. And it reminded me of what I have got!

Eglantine21 Wed 30-May-18 12:18:53

Oh I love a good sort out and chuck away. It’s probably my favourite occupation,!

If it wasn’t for our ages I’d say you were about to give birth grin

Jalima1108 Wed 30-May-18 12:38:00

I do get 'urges' and sometimes even act on them!

That makes up for the days when I have no urge to do anything.

MawBroon Wed 30-May-18 13:09:34

Eglantine gringrin

Anniebach Wed 30-May-18 13:17:32

I do have the urges but for some reason fail to act.

Jane10 Wed 30-May-18 13:31:57

Make the most of this surge of urges then when you have an urge to do absolutely nothing you can feel smug as you sit back!

MawBroon Wed 30-May-18 13:34:23

Then DD asked me to send a baby pic so I have spent a happy hour going through photo albums.
I am sure there is something I ought to be doing?

Doodle Wed 30-May-18 13:38:39

Isn't it nice when you have the energy to just get things done. I have days when I just keep going and feel smug at the end of the day. Others when I just sit with my feet up and wonder where the day has gone ?

nanaK54 Wed 30-May-18 14:40:17

I love those sort of 'urges', just wish they came on more often smile

DanniRae Wed 30-May-18 14:58:34

I had an urge early this morning and so I washed the kitchen floor! Then I changed the covers on the cushions and cleaned a disgusting hair brush - not mine. Then it left me so I visited a friend for a chat and now I am on here. I hope it comes back again...........sometime grin

petra Wed 30-May-18 15:41:37

For those of you who want more 'urges' grin be careful what you wish for.
Example: one chest of drawers in our bedroom gets the sun on it. This bedroom is polished everyweek but when I see dust on that surface I can't leave it.
It's the same when the sun comes round in the evening and hits on the tv and all the gysmos that go with it. Out comes the duster. I must wipe water stains from the sink and surround a dozen times a day.
You have been warned grin

MawBroon Wed 30-May-18 15:55:16

Yay!
Nearly two hours later, feeling very satisfied with an attack on the tarnish, polishing no end of silver while I have watched the BBC2 King Lear which I missed on Mondaynight.
Anthony Hopkins amazing as always and Jim Carter (aka Carson the butler) as Kent.
Powerful stuff.

Sar53 Wed 30-May-18 16:09:17

I had the urge at the end of last week to take out everything that is stored under our bed and vacuum the base. Then I filled two black bags with unwanted 'things' and tidied the rest away. Then I started on the utility room. Yesterday I went to the recycling centre with a car full and I still have a load of stuff for the charity shop.
It doesn't happen very often but I do feel 'righteous when it's all done.

kittylester Wed 30-May-18 16:36:07

Maw, could I just slip my silver in with yours. I love it when it's done but very seldom have the urge to do it! blush

Jalima1108 Wed 30-May-18 16:41:46

petra shock
I don't get urges to dust that often!

However, I have just cleared out my undies drawers and nowhave a binful of knickers.

Pittcity Wed 30-May-18 20:13:48

Knickers make great dusters Jalima ?

Baggs Wed 30-May-18 20:24:23

"gets polished every week"

That's terrifying! ?

Jalima1108 Wed 30-May-18 23:35:44

I know Pittcity but the thought of cutting them all up put me off.
Actually, they are very good for silver polishing!

wot Wed 30-May-18 23:41:19

I make such a mess when I'm clearing things out!

DotMH1901 Thu 31-May-18 09:26:49

I am using the half term break and the fact that my grandkiddies are away with their other grandparents to sort out my granddaughters bedroom. They have far too many clothes (my daughter's fault) and far too many toys! I persuaded my daughter to buy another chest of drawers so I can split their clothes up and I have put a double hanging rail in so I can hang up their dresses etc. Just waiting for two toy nets to be delivered so I can get half of the soft toys up on the walls out of the way! They obviously take after my daughter as her room is cluttered too - but that's another job on the list to tackle! Only downside is I now have two loads of dirty washing that was hidden under their beds!

Coconut Thu 31-May-18 09:45:27

I often have clear outs, hate unused “ clutter” and find it very therapeutic to pass things on.

Nannyme Thu 31-May-18 09:47:38

My husband and I have decided that we need a fresh start in a new house, a lot smaller thsn we have now but the thought of the amount of decluttering scares me to death. I know we dont need most of the stuff we/I have accumulated but where on earth do I start. Can you employ someone to come in and do it for you, which seems an option but not sure I want someone stramge going through my stuff. I am in a dilema! Any sensible suggestions welcome.

Bathsheba Thu 31-May-18 09:53:10

Virtually all my 'clearing out' jobs only get done because of an unexpected urge, or a whim. I'll be emptying the dishwasher while waiting for the kettle to boil, putting cutlery away, and notice some crumbs in the knife section. I'll wipe the crumbs away and then think, no let's just take all the knives out and clean that bit properly. Which, of course, leads to the whole tray coming out, all the cutlery being washed, the drawer being cleaned thoroughly..... and then all the other drawers too.
And I only went in the kitchen to make a cuppa grin

Elrel Thu 31-May-18 09:54:43

Pittcity - I wash the discarded underwear, throw away the gussets and cut then old Sloggis in two. Still adult DS gives a squawk of horror if he sees one!

Bathsheba Thu 31-May-18 09:55:56

Of course, the drawer cleaning thing isn't really 'clearing out' in that sense is it? Everything goes back in!