Gransnet forums

House and home

Undecided to keep Christmas gift from husband

(70 Posts)
MooM00 Sun 12-Jan-20 00:37:32

Hi, my husband doesn’t usually buy me a gift at Christmas without asking what I would like. This year I asked for money but he went out on his own and bought me a necklace and earrings with my birth stone garnet. The problem is I don’t really like them but feel guilty as I would like to change them but don’t really want to hurt his feelings as I know he put a lot of effort into choosing them. Should I come clean or just be grateful and wear them when I go out with him.

Evie64 Sun 12-Jan-20 00:44:41

Oh MooMoo, I don't envy you. That's a difficult one. I suppose if it was me I'd just wear them to avoid any hurt feelings. Life's too short to upset the people you love.

BradfordLass72 Sun 12-Jan-20 01:42:30

I think this is where "It's the thought that counts" is very important.

Accept them with the same love as they were chosen and given.
It's a small deception but a considerable grace.

rosecarmel Sun 12-Jan-20 01:46:03

Agree .. smile

gmarie Sun 12-Jan-20 02:16:24

I think I'd just wear them, too, on special occasions when it's just the two of you and something else at group events.

mumofmadboys Sun 12-Jan-20 05:08:57

You may grow to like them more as you wear them

BlueBelle Sun 12-Jan-20 05:36:15

I would definitely keep them and wear them it would be so hurtful to change them .... but the only problem is he may buy you the bracelet to go with them for your birthdays ?

Tanjamaltija Sun 12-Jan-20 05:49:13

I's wear them. Not only when I am out with him, but on other days, too, just to show him that I do not only wear them when I am with him... After all, it's not as if they are your only jewellery, so you can alternate them with what you really like.

GrandmainOz Sun 12-Jan-20 06:30:10

In a situation like this, where genuine love and thought has gone into the gift I'd grin and wear it. He researched your birthstone so it was meant to be significant present. I have the most alarming steampubk pendant on a heavy chain bought for me by my husband. It's such a bad choice but he thought I'd love it as it's unique and "different from anything else you have". I make sure to rotate it in once a month at least. Does me no harm. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valour.

Oopsminty Sun 12-Jan-20 07:01:09

grin and wear it

Brilliantly put, GrandmainOz

I'd do the same

ladymuck Sun 12-Jan-20 07:15:26

He would be desperately hurt if you changed them. Just wear them and be thankful you have such a thoughtful husband. Not all of us are so lucky.

Nortsat46 Sun 12-Jan-20 08:06:00

Moo I have been in your situation many, many times over the years. Sometimes I have kept things which are not to my taste, because my partner chose them with love.

However I remember an expensive bracelet that he bought me one Christmas from a jewellery store that had loads of lovely things. I really didn’t like the bracelet and given the cost, decided to be honest and explain.

We went back to the jewellers together and exchanged the bracelet for one I much preferred. That was in 1986 and I still love and wear the replacement bracelet.

I think the thing that made the difference was the cost, it would have been sad to have the expensive, unloved bracelet, languishing in its box. I don’t remember my partner being particularly upset at the time, I think he was happy that I ended up with something I loved and wore a lot.

Calendargirl Sun 12-Jan-20 08:11:20

I would keep them and wear them now and again. I think he would be a bit hurt if you said you didn’t like them, not worth upsetting him.

sparkii Sun 12-Jan-20 08:46:05

Maybe you could wear them, not as a set Particularly the earrings,unless they are very bling.

sodapop Sun 12-Jan-20 08:59:42

It was a very thoughtful gift from your husband MooMoo put your own feelings aside and wear the jewellery. It would be very hurtful to reject his gift.

ninathenana Sun 12-Jan-20 09:03:25

I showed DH several pieces of jewellery with rubies and diamonds that I would love to have recieved for our 40th anniversary.
He chose to go and buy drop earrings (I never wear drop style) because he didn't want anything other than ruby and gold. They are also very fiddly to do up.
I tried hard not to show my disappointment. I think I've worn them 3 times in 5 yrs. I wouldn't take them back though.
I did exchange another pair of earrings he once bought me though, as they were toddler/baby size loops.
We laughed at that.

Septimia Sun 12-Jan-20 09:14:08

I had a similar problem with a nightdress my DH bought me. I'm sure he bought it because it was pretty but to me it looked like an old lady's nightie. I cried buckets because I felt he thought it was the type of thing I would like and it definitely wasn't! But I wore it - he was the only person who saw me in it anyway - until I could decently discard it. I've never told him, so I hope he doesn't read this!

crimpedhalo Sun 12-Jan-20 10:39:22

I must admit I wouldn't wear anything I didn't like.

LeeN137 Sun 12-Jan-20 10:40:58

You know your husband best - would he really be hurt if you tactfully explained you don't like them? If yes, then maybe you should just accept them. If you think he'd understand, you could take them back and pick out something you do like together.

The big problem with just accepting them is that he'd be more likely to make similar mistakes in future - and where do you draw the line?

Also, how hurt would he be further down the line when he asks you why you don't weare them that much?

Beanie654321 Sun 12-Jan-20 10:49:14

Alot of men find it difficult to buy surprise gifts for their loved ones so I would feel extra special receiving these gifts. He has thought about what to get you so embrace the gesture and wear now and again. Xx

ctussaud Sun 12-Jan-20 10:54:32

Is it too late for ... “Oh, how very kind, you know I love that store; I was walking past the other day and saw something utterly lovely in the window” and manoeuvre a change via that route?

Theoddbird Sun 12-Jan-20 11:01:46

How lovely to have a husband who went to such trouble. Keep and wear occasionally.

Horatia Sun 12-Jan-20 11:16:20

You may grow to love it.

Dottydots Sun 12-Jan-20 11:18:23

I had a boyfriend who always bought necklaces that were so fine you could hardly see them on my neck. The first time I received one I knew I didn't like it but gushed over it to save his feelings. Of course, then I kept getting similar necklaces.
After I had received several I used to wear them all at the same time, which to me looked better, as I prefer something more chunky.

blossom14 Sun 12-Jan-20 11:22:30

ninathenana My DH has done the same with emerald earrings for 55th anniversary. I had also told my daughter that I dislike drop earrings as I am sure she was involved. I have come to the conclusion that no one listens to what I try to tell them grin