Gransnet forums

House and home

Mini heaters? Any good?

(31 Posts)
Ro60 Wed 05-Oct-22 01:19:03

I've seen various mini heaters that claim to heat the whole room. Are there any that are worth getting and save on electricity?

biglouis Sat 08-Oct-22 10:08:40

Nephew says they are ideal for working at a desk or in a particular area/room and dont want to put the main heating on. However he doesnt feel the cold as I do. His flatmate has one in his room and is quite pleased with it.

They are not a replacement for the central heating - just something to put on for a particular part of the house. Or as one poster stated use when the central heating had been turned off.

Ro60 Sat 08-Oct-22 11:08:37

Energyguide.org.uk has a new guide (5 October)
They're suggesting infra red heaters are cheapest to run for small spaces. (I've got one of those tucked away too!)
Oil filled radiators still in the running £1.04 per hour.
The dehumidifier is 26p per hour so will make use of this more aswell.

Esspee Sat 08-Oct-22 12:51:16

This thread is discussing very different types of heaters. Anyone recommending one or telling us they’re useless needs to make it clear exactly what type they are referring to.

FannyCornforth Sun 09-Oct-22 09:57:34

Yes Esspee! I do wish that they would.
I am trying to do some research into heaters, so returned to this thread hoping to see some helpful recommendations.
I’m going to see if I can find out what Which? have to say

hollysteers Sun 09-Oct-22 12:51:28

I wouldn’t be without my halogen heaters, which I believe, using all bars, cost around 5p an hour to run.
With an extension lead, I heat up the bathroom before a shower and my spare room for visitors.