Gransnet forums

House and home

Do you make your bed as soon as you get up?

(66 Posts)
Kandinsky Fri 17-Feb-23 11:17:44

Question of the week grin

Sometimes I just leave it ( although I really dislike getting into an unmade bed )

I love a beautiful made bed but it does take time.
excuses excuses.

Theexwife Fri 17-Feb-23 11:28:17

No, I fold the duvet back and smooth the bottom sheet, open the windows and let it air. It stays like that until I go to bed.

It is not advised to make a bed immediately, you will be trapping sweat and heat, a great environment for bedbugs.

Granny23 Fri 17-Feb-23 11:30:06

Definitely not. Duvet & throw thrown back to air when I get up. Bed made and Electric blanket on half an hour before bed time.

Aveline Fri 17-Feb-23 11:31:04

I prefer to air it first

Shinamae Fri 17-Feb-23 11:32:09

Theexwife

No, I fold the duvet back and smooth the bottom sheet, open the windows and let it air. It stays like that until I go to bed.

It is not advised to make a bed immediately, you will be trapping sweat and heat, a great environment for bedbugs.

This…

TerriBull Fri 17-Feb-23 11:35:15

No I pull the duvet right back to air the bed, in doing so, I believe millions of bed bugs die from being exposed to a lower temperature yuk! I do smooth the bed over and plump up the pillows, I make it good a few hours later, I don't like looking at an unmade bed.

Grandmabatty Fri 17-Feb-23 11:36:31

I air it for a few hours then make the bed. I would hate to have an unmade bed all day

IrishDancing Fri 17-Feb-23 11:38:10

Air it well with window open then make it, don’t like an unmade bed all day.

Abitbarmy Fri 17-Feb-23 11:41:41

Definitely give it a good airing, bedroom window open, make bed at some point later in the day. It’s annoying if for some reason it doesn’t get done till bed time but it only takes a minute.

Oldnproud Fri 17-Feb-23 11:46:21

I leave the duvet right back until the bed is cool again. Whether or not I get around to 'making' it depends on whether or not I am back in that room again during the day with time to spare. If not, it doesn't bother me.

Regarding bedbugs - if there were already any in the bed, I think you would know about it and would have a big problem on your hands, and I really dont think that just airing the bed would eradicate them.

PinkCosmos Fri 17-Feb-23 11:47:00

Turn the duvet back to air and make the bed later in the day.

This usually ends up being when we go to bed if it is a work day. At weekend I would make it in the afternoon.

ExDancer Fri 17-Feb-23 11:47:08

I was taught to air it, but must confess it often gets forgotten until bedtime, and then (daft cow) I make it before I get in sad

Fleurpepper Fri 17-Feb-23 11:51:12

Depends if the cat is on it- couldn't possibly disturb him, could I? (as this morning). I always air if the weather is good- the proper way, on the window sill and turn over regularly smile

V3ra Fri 17-Feb-23 11:57:53

I used to work with a woman who slid out of bed and made it straight away.
She said it "kept the heat in" 😬

Ours are aired, with a window open, at least until the mattress and pillows feel cold!

tanith Fri 17-Feb-23 12:01:28

Mines aired with open windows quilt turned back and pillows off usually till lunch time but its always made before bed.

kittylester Fri 17-Feb-23 12:24:53

As fleurpepper says, not if, Maisie, the cat is on it! When she appears somewhere else I would turn it back for a while but I don't like it remaining unmade all day. I didn't pay a lot for a beautiful quilt cover to hide it. grin

Forsythia Fri 17-Feb-23 12:28:54

Like others, I air it for a good few hours and usually make it in the afternoon.

sodapop Fri 17-Feb-23 12:32:02

I turn the covers back, open the window and leave the bed to air for a couple of hours. I don't like to see an unmade either but it's easy for me to do it as I'm retired now. I can remember leaving my bed unmade when I was working.

Palmtree Fri 17-Feb-23 12:36:37

Like a lot of us here I always air it for a while, with window open, before making it. Funny though, I always look out my window as I open it and nobody else down the road ever seems to open their windows!

AGAA4 Fri 17-Feb-23 12:38:24

I pull the duvet back, plump the pillows and straighten the sheet and it stays like that till I go to bed.
This helps to kill the mites that flourish in a warm damp bed. They don't like fresh air.

Mollygo Fri 17-Feb-23 12:44:27

Theexwife

My way too. Especially if you have a memory foam mattress or topper. That’s what it advises, so sweat can evaporate.

eazybee Fri 17-Feb-23 12:45:36

I generally do because I dislike an unmade bed at the end of the day.
However, after reading this I have pulled the duvet back, plumped the pillows. opened the window and shut the door on it. At least it will be a tidy unmade bed so it looks as though have made an effort!

NotSpaghetti Fri 17-Feb-23 13:04:39

No. Like most others here, I air the bed. I "air" it until the evening and then make it tidy an hour or two before I go up.

Jaxjacky Fri 17-Feb-23 13:27:46

No, duvet pulled back a bit, folded back up when the electric blanket’s put on before bedtime, the small window is permanently open.

BlueBelle Fri 17-Feb-23 13:30:38

I make it as soon as I get out of it always have