Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Unfair Will

(120 Posts)
grapefruitpip Thu 03-Oct-19 14:19:06

I can't say too much about the details but lets just say I have been stitched up like the proverbial kipper by my mother and another family member.

Has anybody else any experience of this type of hurt?

Fiachna50 Thu 03-Oct-19 19:16:06

Difficulty comes with relations who think they are entitled to a bequest. I've also met many who think their parents/grandparents estate is their money, house etc. No, it isnt, it belongs to the estate of the deceased. The sense of entitlement with people nowadays is beyond belief. No one is entitled to anything when a person dies, family or not. For myself, I rather have had my parents alive and well. No amount of money or goods will ever replace my parents. I miss them every day.

grapefruitpip Thu 03-Oct-19 19:37:41

Possibly after what I have been through ,I am entitled but I'll say no more on a public forum.

I knew it was risky putting this out there, those who have kindly messaged I thank you.

GabriellaG54 Thu 03-Oct-19 19:40:47

Caring and love are good bedfellows.
Caring and money are not.

Be content with what you have and what you can earn for yourselves because, at the heart of some relationships, is money.
If you lend but don't get it returned.
If you give and give and get no acknowledgement of your giving.
If you or a relative expect a slice of someone else's money and it's not distributed as you think it should be, or was once promised, things can and do turn sour, nasty, griping and ugly thoughts and past misdeeds are dragged up which have nought to do with the matter at hand.

One has only to read MN and GN to know the truth, that money and relationships are, for many, a bumpy ride resulting in injuries.
Even the wealthiest don't easily turn down bequests.
Rise above it.
Don't let someone else's greed or disregard of your feelings, taint your life otherwise it's a double blow.

GagaJo Thu 03-Oct-19 19:58:05

Yes. Repeatedly. First my uncle, aunt and cousins conspired to take all of the inheritance of my grandparents (there were 2 children, 4 grandchildren).

Now, my awful SiL, brother and neices are doing the same with my mother.

I'm sick of my family.

gillybob Thu 03-Oct-19 22:48:45

Easy to say let it go. But when you don’t have much and a small promised inheritance could have made a huge difference to you and yours it is very hard to smile and just accept it . I have never inherited a penny in my life and don’t ever expect to, but feel so sorry for those who genuinely thought they were due to, or expected, an inheritance and have been cheated by those they love and thought they could trust .

GagaJo Thu 03-Oct-19 23:01:30

To be honest, the inheritance from my grandparents wouldn't have been much. A LOT more than nothing, but not enough to buy a house or a car. But it was the principle. The greed. People who I grew up loving. Horrible.

BradfordLass72 Thu 03-Oct-19 23:46:42

When my Mum was dying, she initially wanted to divide her considerable estate between me and m sister.

The solicitor came to her bedside to talk it all over and advise.
Mum and I had previously discussed several options and between us and solicitor, decided 50% for my sister (who had already told Mum 'now you're dying, sell up and send me my share) and 50% divided between my two sons.

And that's what happened. They got a lump sum and more when her house was sold 2 years later and I got nothing, from choice.

Well, actually not strictly true now I think of it. The crematorium asked if I wanted the garnet ring Mum was wearing when she died, so I do have that.

LondonGranny Thu 03-Oct-19 23:51:10

Sometimes the biggest rows are not about monetary legacies, but the sentimental things. I saw seething animosity between my aunts and mother about the little box my grandmother always had on her bedside table. It wasn't silver, it wasn't jewelled, it was a small carved box bearing the words
A Present from St Ives.

grapefruitpip Fri 04-Oct-19 08:59:24

The whole arena, I now see is fraught with difficulties. I was naive and trusting.

Smileless2012 Fri 04-Oct-19 09:06:58

My mum and step dad had mirror wills, leaving everything to the other and on the death of the survivor dividing their estate equally between myself, my brother and our step father's son.

When my step father died, my mother altered her will and disinherited my stepbrother. I was annoyed and told her so as she'd gone against my step father's last wishes.

A few years later she disinherited me too, leaving everything to my brother.

TBH I was upset at the time but it doesn't bother me now. Her money; her choice.

Daisymae Fri 04-Oct-19 09:54:21

Oh yes, there's nothing like money for people to show true colours. It's important not to let it get to you. Doesn't buy happiness.

Fiachna50 Fri 04-Oct-19 09:58:19

Daisymae agree completely. For many people money is their God. For those people , they never seem to be happy. Always wanting the new things or the best things.

Guineagirl Fri 04-Oct-19 10:31:38

Sorry grapefruitpip. Yes I was not the executor of my Mams will she chose daughter in law. I looked after her, did everything for her she did nothing. I felt stupid in this instance.

Jishere Fri 04-Oct-19 10:41:30

It's very sad because you don't often see this coming but people have no scruples when it comes to money. Because of greed it breaks families.

My parents live in a big house with my brother and his family they have had their ups and downs but the whole house will be theirs. I have that knowledge and have to live with it every day.
I have to believe it's not all about money because I don't want to be bitter.

Mal44 Fri 04-Oct-19 10:45:20

So sad to read these posts.On a positive note all families are not the same.Following my mum's death her will which treated her children equally was followed to the letter and there was not one disagreement.We are quite a close family and we all knew what was to happen when mum died and who the executors were to be.

Miep1 Fri 04-Oct-19 10:47:45

My father left everything to my stepmother, on the grounds that "she would do the right thing" that equalled her giving me £20 and telling me go forth and multiply.

Gagagran Fri 04-Oct-19 10:50:39

My sister disinherited me and my sister and brother in favour of her favoured three nieces and the will was prepared and sent to her for signature and witnessing but she died the day before it arrived in the post.Our other brother was the executor of the will (and a legatee) and he advised us what she had intended had the new will arrived in time.

I decided that I would honour her wishes and gave my share to the three nieces (also mine) in equal shares. I really had no idea why she had disinherited me as she had always been included in all our family life and major events as she had no children of her own. It felt like rejection and that hurt a lot and I did not want her money at all as a result. My other two siblings, who were about to be disinherited also under the new will, took their share.

geekesse Fri 04-Oct-19 11:01:37

It doesn’t have to cause problems. If a family has healthy relationships, trust and honesty, dealing with the death of a parent is a shared sorrow and any estate is fairly distributed. The issues that cause problems arise long before the death. Two big things underpin a lot of the angst. First, people have a sense that they are entitled to some inheritance. Second, family relationships are allowed to deteriorate. As grieving family members, we can address both. Don’t assume that parents owe us an inheritance. Work to build and maintain honesty and trust in relationships while our parents are still alive. We can’t enforce what we consider ‘fair’, but we can adjust our thinking and expectations so that perceived ‘unfairness’ isn’t an issue.

Sussexborn Fri 04-Oct-19 11:04:56

OH was asked to value a property at short notice. The woman had a hissy fit because the value was considerably less than in swanky parts of London. When asked if she wanted it to go on the market she reluctantly said that it had better wait until after the funeral! Old man had lived alone with help from neighbours who had never seen the daughter in over twenty years. Do some people smell the possibility of money instinctively?

My grand inheritance was a frying pan, a pouffe and two pictures. All that was left after the vultures had gathered. Amazing what my Dad had “promised” to various family members, mainly in-laws.

It must be incredibly hurtful when the person doing all the caring and running around gets shafted by the person who is too busy to even visit. It seems to happen a lot. Very sad.

paulinecnd Fri 04-Oct-19 11:07:20

My husband and his brother lost circa £250,000 each, after the step sister and her financial advisor husband altered the will fraudulently.

Skweek1 Fri 04-Oct-19 11:08:26

My estranged daughters forced my mum to sign an EPA and then shoved her into a care home as far from family and friends as they could manage. They then sold a much loved violin, an autograph book both belonging to me (the autograph book had no real value - mainly signatures and photos of 19th/early 20th century musicians but belonged to my cellist grandmother) and a few relatively valuable antiques. When mum finally died, she had very little left, most of which went to my DDs (my son got nothing, but I got £10K - her estate should have been a great deal more valuable than it eventually was, due to bad mishandling by DDs. They did not even want me or my MIL (her best friend) to be told of the funeral arrangements and were shocked when we turned up. More to the point, at the funeral, I saw my DGS for the one and only time and when I tried to build bridges with my DDs, they cut me dead. Talk about hurtful behaviour - Fortunately, DS is a gem - worth 100 of his despicable sisters, but I'm still devasted by their mean, spiteful behaviour.

curlilox Fri 04-Oct-19 11:11:57

One of my Dad's sisters moved in with her father and manipulated him to write other 2 sisters out of his will. He realised and was going to change it, but died suddenly before he could do so. My father shared some of his inheritance with the other sisters.
Anyway it came back to bite her. The rest of the family had nothing to do with her and she died alone and wasn't found for several weeks. Nobody knew who her family was, so she had a pauper's funeral with no family there. Nobody could find a will, so when they eventually traced the family her property was shared between her 2 sisters. My father was a half-brother, so got nothing.

4allweknow Fri 04-Oct-19 11:15:54

Such a horrible situation. In some parts of the UK a child cannot be left out of inheriting from a parent no matter what a Will says. Check it out with a solicitor or CAB is you can get an appointment. May not apply but hopefully it will and will scupper the collaborators.

Ngaio1 Fri 04-Oct-19 11:17:30

The deceit is what hurts. My late husband manipulated me into signing a Will which was supposed to be fair. Even the Solicitor said he would have advised differently if he had been aware of other arrangements had been made. It meant that the monies were shared in the will but their were huge Policies which benefited me not at all. He went on controlling me even from the grave.

Jillybird Fri 04-Oct-19 11:21:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.