Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Wills and leaving to grandchildren

(132 Posts)
Thoro Wed 13-Jan-21 18:11:21

Would really like GN’s thoughts on this. I have three children and the will I made a few years ago leaves my estate to be divided equally between them (their father died many years ago and present husband and I keep our own finances).
The two older ones have passed the age of having children however the youngest one has an almost 3 year old and his wife is due to give birth to twins any day now!
Any thoughts on changing my will to give my youngest additional support if I do pass away (I am 70 and quite healthy but you never know). Not over keen on leaving anything in trust but don’t know how the other two would feel if I left more to their younger brother. Any thoughts please. (I’ve got some savings plus half the house)

ReadyMeals Sat 16-Jan-21 09:51:57

Only if you gave the same amount to the others during their lifetime when they were having their children. Unless one of your children has a special need or disability, or unless one of them has been specifically nasty to you (in which case they don't really deserve anything) imho you should treat them the same in your will. Also if you write your will on the basis they have a 3 year old, you'll have to be ready to change it when they no longer have young kids

Taliya Sat 16-Jan-21 09:53:27

Divide it equally. If you give one more than the other it could cause resentment.

JanetWestYorks Sat 16-Jan-21 09:54:15

In their lifetime my parents gave a substantial savings account to our daughter for her 18th birthday. It was agreed that I would look after it so it was not frittered away but would be used fir anything as long as I agreed. My Dd bought a really nice handbag and a few other things. Then whilst at Uni she got the opportunity to go to China for 3 weeks, living with a student at a similar Uni. We couldn’t afford it but her 18th savings money did. It was an experience we are so glad we could allow. Once my parents passed away they left 25% of everything to my daughter and 75% to me. Fortunately we are both only ones so easy. We will do the same when our time comes but it will be split between our 2 grandchildren.

Marjgran Sat 16-Jan-21 09:56:39

We left our will as equal, but we are very generously helping the AC with the most need now, in our lifetime. The ACs know this and accept it. The future of the high income AC is unknown and I would hate our will to cause unhappiness when we die

Moggycuddler Sat 16-Jan-21 09:58:35

mumofmadboys

Would it be easier to leave a set sum to be divided between all your grandchildren on the event of your death and to be kept in accounts which can't be accessed till they are 18? That way more money isn't left to your youngest son and you want to avoid any ill feeling if at all possible.

This is the best and fairest way.

Incafarmer Sat 16-Jan-21 09:59:36

I have 2 sisters. I have 2 children, one sister has 2 children and the other has 4 children making 11 of us over the 2 generations. My parents split everything into 11. I always felt this was unfair but have ‘got over it’. I am going to leave my things 50:50 between my own children with 15% of each child’s portion going to their children (my grandchildren) I think this is fairer.

vampirequeen Sat 16-Jan-21 10:00:43

I can't help thinking that your older children would be left thinking that you loved their younger sibling more which could cause bad feeling between them all.

As others have said...can't you help your youngest whilst you're alive but share your estate equally.

GagaJo Sat 16-Jan-21 10:02:34

I don't begin to know how to safety proof anything I leave. My grandparents thought they had done that, with the money going to their children (my dad and uncle) and the proceeds of the house divided equally among grandchildren (my brother and I and 2 cousins).

But my uncle managed to work it so he and his children got everything.

I would like to leave some dedicated money to my grandson. I really must look into it. I keep putting it off because I am busy, but it is important, particularly with Covid.

4allweknow Sat 16-Jan-21 10:05:16

If you hold them all with the same regard then No. Just because one has young children at the moments surely doesn't give you cause to treat him more special. Take it the others haven't had children.

barbiann57 Sat 16-Jan-21 10:08:18

Our will is divided equally between our two daughters. We have five grandchildren and two great grandchildren, which we spend money on now, so that we can enjoy helping them. Our daughters have wills, leaving their estates to their children, so the children will benefit in the end. The best thing is fairness in these matters.

Nannan2 Sat 16-Jan-21 10:09:17

Yes leave an amount separately, to be divided between the GC.that way could it not just be 'added' to will? (Officially of course?)

cc Sat 16-Jan-21 10:10:40

I don't know your financial position Thoro but some years before her death my mother had set aside money in trust for her grandchildren, to be split equally between them at some time in the future. When she died her estate was split equally between her children. I believe that such a trust is considered to be outside your estate when you die, provided it has been legally set up more than seven years before your death (though I am not a lawyer).
If you can afford to do this the trust can be accessed for education, to help buy a property or for some other good reason approved by the trustees.
Even if one of your children has more offspring than the other this might avoid resentment - though only you know your family well enough to know if this is the case.

teachkate Sat 16-Jan-21 10:10:56

Altering your will is definitely a recipe for disaster! Money causes so many problems keep everything equal.
We give our grandchildren £1000 every birthday, one AC has no children but is aware and accepting that we do this however we wouldn’t dream of leaving this AC more money in our will!
Obviously the decision is yours alone but you will be creating a future wedge between your children.

Helenlouise3 Sat 16-Jan-21 10:15:07

I have 2 children and 6 grandchildren. I've set the same amount aside for each grandchild and everything else will be split between the two children. This way I think everyone has had a fair share.

Teacheranne Sat 16-Jan-21 10:16:27

I suspect my mother in laws will is going to upset her son - my ex husband! She was very unhappy about his behaviour leading to our divorce and, with the knowledge and agreement of her daughter, has left everything to her grandchildren, leaving both her children nothing.

HunnyBunny Sat 16-Jan-21 10:16:31

We have split our will equally among the AC’s. Some are financially better off than others now, but who knows what the future may bring? Also,we haven’t taken into account any GC.
Again, we have no way of knowing if there will be more GC’s.
We don’t want to be forever changing the will to accommodate that.
GC will get theirs, when the time comes, from their own parents.

Lesley60 Sat 16-Jan-21 10:21:11

I have just updated my will and have left everything to be split three ways equally between my two daughters and all the grandchildren.
I’m a little worried about leaving my eldest daughter her share as I know she will squander it but I wouldn’t dream of leaving her less

Jillybird Sat 16-Jan-21 10:23:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Soroptimum Sat 16-Jan-21 10:26:09

My mum has left everything to my 3 children, (I am an only child). I am very secure financially so suggested mum do this. Recently one of my children needed substantial financial help which mum provided. The other children were told about this. It was agreed that the sum of money will be deducted from the inheritance of that child.

Magrithea Sat 16-Jan-21 10:26:19

You say you're not keen on trusts but it's a good way to protect money you want to leave to grandchildren. I would keep your will as it is - as others have said, why should the older two AC fund the youngest's family - but allow an amount for your grandchildren. You can offer financial support now if they need it when the twins arrive.

crazyH Sat 16-Jan-21 10:26:19

My estate is to be divided equally between my 3 children. I have 6 grandchildren but I haven’t left anything for them. Will probably do a codicil, leaving bits of my jewellery for them. There’s a 13 year age gap between my oldest two GC and the youngest 4. I was very involved with the older GC, school runs etc. So, am doing a little extra for them; helping them towards their University education. I think that’s only fair.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 16-Jan-21 10:27:26

Have you thought of discussing the mater with your offspring? See how they would feel if you left more to the 3rd? If that is not possible then definitely divide equally.

JdotJ Sat 16-Jan-21 10:27:48

I would leave things as they are.

lemsip Sat 16-Jan-21 10:32:51

I think the OP is talking of her children not her grandchildren, asking if she should leave her youngest child more because he has young children.

I would leave the three children the equal amounts as she has done at present!
Surprising how OP posts get lost along the way!

Visgir1 Sat 16-Jan-21 10:35:30

My mum passed away in July my parents had a "Mirror" will. Dad died 6 years ago. They divided there whole estate between my sister and I with the caveat that we then divided between our children. If they were under 21 to put into a Trust. My sister and I have given them personal gifts which she identified years before.
This really is the fairest option, small children will benefit in the long term.
And if the other siblings are childless, these children will be fine!
OK... Anyone what to buy a flat...?