Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Changes to the Highway Code

(57 Posts)
ayse Sun 23-Jan-22 18:46:09

From the 29th of January the Highway Code changes giving additional priority to pedestrians and cyclist.

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1037306/table-of-change-to-the-highway-code.pdf

Callistemon21 Mon 31-Jan-22 18:06:05

EllanVannin

Great ! Another accident waiting to happen.
Like the " smart motorways ".

Yes, I agree.

Bring down the speed in towns and villages but pedestrians should not have priority over motorists on the road.

What is wrong with pedestrians using a zebra crossing, or learning Stop, Look, Listen and Keep Looking and Listening.

Bring back Tufty.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 31-Jan-22 18:07:45

I couldn't agree more.

PamelaJ1 Mon 31-Jan-22 18:54:56

Everybody should be courteous to and responsible for all other road users.
Motorists and cyclists and pedestrians should be aware of the rules of the road.
Pedestrians have the right to hope that they will be safe. There is no denying though that in a collision between human and vehicle the pedestrian will, generally, come off worst.
I will keep taking care and evoking Tufty and the Green Cross Code. It’s all very well but if one presumes that all drivers will suddenly take the changes on board one may well end up injured or worse.
I’m not pushing my luck.

Larsonsmum Mon 31-Jan-22 18:57:10

The fact that so many people are claiming not to know anything about the new Highway Code rules is concerning.

I really think there will be the risk of drivers of vehicles behind bumping into the vehicle in front when that driver is allowing a pedestrian to cross at a junction.

Also, I see a potential issue if it is a junction with traffic lights. If a driver allows a pedestrian to cross, that motorist could then be left sitting in the junction when the lights have changed to red, if the pedestrian is perhaps less able to cross quickly.

foxie48 Mon 31-Jan-22 19:35:13

Drivers just need to start changing the way they drive and I speak as a car driver. We should all drive according to road conditions, weather conditions and where we are driving. I have a single track lane behind my house which runs parallel to another wider road. I never use it when driving but I do walk, cycle and ride a horse along it. It has several blind bends and I have lost count of how many head on crashes there have been in the 20 years since we moved here. Surely if drivers choose to use a lane like this they should realise that they might meet a cyclist, horse rider or pedestrian (probably walking a dog) ? No, they don't, they drive too fast and are completely unaware of who else might be using the lane. If you drive a car, it is your job to keep yourself up to date with Highway code changes, ignorance is no defence. Car drivers need to more aware of who else is using the highway and drive accordingly.

foxie48 Mon 31-Jan-22 19:36:36

I should have also said, meeting another car!