Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Scammers may cost me £9000

(65 Posts)
crazyH Fri 15-Jul-22 17:52:18

Had a text this morning from Santander saying, unless I transferred more money into my account, they would not pay/honour any of my standing orders or Bills. My main Bank is Barclays, but I do have an online 123Account and an old ISA with Santander. I rang them and they said that I had paid various people (they gave me a list) and that there was only £2 or so left in the account. They had even takeThe names they gave were totally unknown to me. On further talking to this Bank person, he said that this matter will have to be investigated further but he cannot guarantee that I will get my money refunded. When I rang the local Santander, they said because it was an online a/c they couldn’t help me.
If there’s anyone who is in the know about these things, could you please advice me? Thanks x

MerylStreep Fri 15-Jul-22 18:02:50

Can I ask why you called your local branch and not the number given for this type of issue.

crazyH Fri 15-Jul-22 18:06:37

Merylstreep - because this lad on the phone said he couldn’t help but someone would ring me next week. Frankly, I was just trying to do anything I could to get some answers

Smileless2012 Fri 15-Jul-22 18:12:18

Oh crazy that's awful. No personal experience but wanted to respond. Are you saying that payments have gone out of your online account and the names of those paid are not known to you?

If so, you clearly haven't authorised these payments and if the instructions for those payments are new, and the total amount paid out is £9000 how can it not be Santander's responsibility.

On their online Fraud and Security page they say "our online and mobile banking commitment gives you a peace of mind guarantee that we'll refund money taken from your account as a result of fraud.

Gosh, I'm so pleased that we don't bank online. I hope you get your money back. Please let us know when you hear from them.

Doodledog Fri 15-Jul-22 18:14:29

I wouldn't leave it till next week. Did you contact a number that was in the text?

If I were you, I would use the 'contact us' facility on the website and speak to someone as soon as possible. It'a always a good idea to ask them to confirm the last three transactions, or three people on your DD list - anything that will show that they can see your account and are legitimate. If they ask you these questions and you answer, you are just giving them further information.

saltnshake Fri 15-Jul-22 18:15:29

Do not ring the number that the emailer asked you to ring. It could well be a scam. Ring Santander Fraud line to check if this email was actually from them.

Grannynannywanny Fri 15-Jul-22 18:25:49

How awful for you CrazyH. My immediate thought was could the text be part of the scam. I read this recently by Martin Lewis. There is a dedicated hotline that takes you straight to your bank. It’s 159. Apparently a scammer can stay on the line and intercept your call if you hang up on them to dial your local branch. Then pose as a bank employee. This is a safe way to contact your bank if you suspect fraud.

www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2021/09/stop--hang-up--and-call-159-if-you-re-worried-about-bank-scam-ca/

NotSpaghetti Fri 15-Jul-22 18:25:52

www.santander.co.uk/personal/support/fraud-and-security/how-to-report-fraud

Expect you have seen this.

Chestnut Fri 15-Jul-22 18:29:52

Definitely do not respond in any way to a text or e-mail or ring any numbers they suggest. First log in to your Santander account to see what is going on. Unless you have compromised your account in any way (giving out passwords) your money should still be there. If money has actually disappeared then go to the bank's official website and check which number to call re fraud and tell them what has happened.

crazyH Fri 15-Jul-22 18:33:13

Smiles - yes, I will update
I was so silly to ring the number that was texted to me. He was probably part of the scam. TBH I didn’t realise there was a dedicated Fraud Line. I will ring them and go to the main branch tomorrow. Thanks all x

MerylStreep Fri 15-Jul-22 18:35:53

CrazyH
I assume you didn’t check the Santander account very often.
As Santander is our only online banking I check it everyday, sometimes more.
What length of period did these transactions cover?

MerylStreep Fri 15-Jul-22 18:37:43

CrazyH
You don’t have to wait until tomorrow. This fraud line is open 24/7. Get on it now

welbeck Fri 15-Jul-22 18:44:55

why not ring them now.

welbeck Fri 15-Jul-22 18:45:09

Santander Business Online & Mobile Banking will be down on Saturday, July 16th after 8:00pm for routine maintenance. During this time, you can still bank by visiting an ATM. Thank you for banking with us

Sago Fri 15-Jul-22 18:46:12

Can you explain more clearly please.
Did you transfer the 9K?

rosie1959 Fri 15-Jul-22 18:55:54

If you have online banking ring customer services the number will be on your statement much easier than ringing the branch think they are available 24/7

crazyH Fri 15-Jul-22 19:25:33

No Sago - I did not transfer any money - it looks like a scammer has accessed my account ( I honestly don’t know how) and taken out various amounts in the names of different people, making a total of approximately £9000. While I’m writing this, I’m ringing the Santander Fraud Line and it’s continuously busy. Will update later

Jane43 Fri 15-Jul-22 19:34:17

There is usually a contact number on the back of debit cards but from your last post I see you have the Santander Fraud Line number. I find it shocking that it is continually busy. I hope you get through soon.

rosie1959 Fri 15-Jul-22 19:45:56

A bit odd every new payment that goes out of a Santander account has a verifying number sent to your mobile which has to be entered on to the account transfer page before the transaction can be completed

welbeck Fri 15-Jul-22 19:48:58

are you able to check, do you do online banking, that what the person said has actually happened.
sounds like part of an elaborate scam set up.
good luck.

MerylStreep Fri 15-Jul-22 19:53:03

CrazyH
This article might help you to understand what you can do
You have to be strong and tenacious.
The bank will be all sweetness and light with you, but remember, they are not on your side.
As long as your certain that you did everything to protect your account you have a good case.

www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/beatthescammers/article-10084537/Fight-fraud-refund-fall-victim-scammers.html

Shandy57 Fri 15-Jul-22 20:06:54

I hope you get through this evening CrazyH, how frightening for you. I've photocopied all my cards, front and back, so I have the right numbers in my 'money' file. Worth doing.

crazyH Fri 15-Jul-22 20:20:17

Still can’t get through - I’m having severe neck pain - so, got a heat wrap on , ibuprofen, sleeping tablet. First thing tomorrow one of the d.i.l. is driving me to the big branch in Cardiff so I can show them the text They can’t take any more money from that account - they’ve cleaned me out. Unless they attack my Barclays a/c , and my other savings. And I think you are right…the guy who I spoke to this morning is probably part of the scam. That’s why I hope to see someone face to face

crazyH Fri 15-Jul-22 20:21:32

Thanks again ?

Callistemon21 Fri 15-Jul-22 20:25:01

The lad you phoned is probably part of the scam if the number you phoned was taken from the text message.

Phone Santander's fraud helpline and also inform ActionFraud.

Your local branch should have been more helpful and advised you what to do.