Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Birmingham meet up....

(265 Posts)
Tegan Thu 27-Aug-15 11:33:45

...some of us are keen to have another meet up. I think the art gallery was a good place, especially now it has been re vamped. I'm away on and off quite a lot over the next couple of months, but if any of the 'locals' arrange something I'll do my best to fit in. The good thing about the art gallery is that there's no need to book a table so numbers can be more flexible.

Alea Thu 27-Aug-15 11:36:13

smile
I met up with my "newly discovered" half brother and his wife there recently, still promising myself I will look at the paintings one of these days!

Elrel Thu 27-Aug-15 11:44:06

I need to go before 6th September as I want to go to an exhibition which ends then. If anyone wants to join me in the tearoom for coffee that would be good.

Tegan Thu 27-Aug-15 13:34:00

Given that, when I returned to the gallery I forgot to do the exhibition, please tell me that it's rubbish, Elrel [by the way, there's a lot of stuff about Warhol on BBC4 at the moment.He actually lived with his mum#notveryrock'n'rollthatisit and got someone to travel to The Factory each morning disguised as him so that it would look as if he got up in the morning#imighthaveimaginedthatbitthough]

Elrel Tue 01-Sep-15 23:12:15

Tegan - going to the gallery tomorrow (I'll tell you it's rubbish if you like!) and also going to bag a few more owls! Hope you had a good trip north!

Elrel Thu 03-Sep-15 23:28:31

Went today to William Morris/Warhol exhibition which ends on Sunday. Spent much longer than I expected there. Interesting parallels drawn between them both. Also found a room of little owlets less than 1m tall, beautifully decorated , mainly by schools.

Teetime Fri 04-Sep-15 08:43:49

Are we getting a date fixed for October soon please?

Teetime Sun 06-Sep-15 09:48:42

15th or 22nd October would be good for me.

cranberry Sun 06-Sep-15 11:02:52

I would love to meet up again, the dates mentioned, 15th or 22nd October are fine with me, I am happy to try and fit in with whatever suits everyone else.

Teetime Sun 06-Sep-15 11:36:18

Thats good news Cranberry - can we hear from the other Gransnetters please before my diary is highjacked by someone else (DH)?

Elrel Mon 07-Sep-15 22:57:31

15th would be good for me, 22nd also looks possible.

lana1946 Sat 12-Sep-15 10:02:35

The 15th or 22nd would be good for me too. So looking forward to my first GN meet up.

Tegan Sat 12-Sep-15 14:01:12

Just back from Northumberland. 22nd would be best for me as I'm probably going to be away on 15th, but stick with 15th if it's best for everyone as there is a teeny tiny question mark over the 22nd pour moi.

Elrel Sat 12-Sep-15 23:13:11

Looks like either 15th or 22nd are ok for most of us. Tegan - we could go for 22nd for you but when might you know whether the teeny tiny question mark develops into something to stop you coming? Hope it doesn't as it would be good to have you with us!

cranberry Sun 13-Sep-15 09:31:29

Yes Tegan! it would be so good to have you with us, fingers crossed here!

Teetime Sun 13-Sep-15 10:31:20

As time is going on and the diary fills up 15th is now not the best time for me as I have an evening appointment so can we now firm up on 22nd October?

Tegan Sun 13-Sep-15 10:38:20

That would be fine by me. Would the tea rooms be ok for people again?

cranberry Sun 13-Sep-15 11:03:49

Fine for me on both counts!

Teetime Sun 13-Sep-15 12:56:36

Does it have to be the tea rooms? I really don't like that place I can never find anything to eat. Not sure they would have anything for kittylester either she needs to have gluten free and I think their menu would be very limited.

Tegan Sun 13-Sep-15 13:39:18

Perhaps one of the 'local ladies' could suggest somewhere; I don't know Birmingham very well these days.

Elrel Sun 13-Sep-15 20:19:58

I'll see what I can find. Tearoom is somewhere big enough for us to stay for hours without buying much but I take the point about gluten-free.

Elrel Sun 13-Sep-15 22:18:07

Who knew? To my surprise the gluten free places are almost all chains, from Nando's and Wetherspoon's to Wagamama and Bella Italia. Interesting but not helpful.

Teetime Mon 14-Sep-15 09:46:30

I know kitty likes Carluccios as it provides well for a gluten free diet as does Jamie's Italian and both are in the main shopping precinct not too far from the station. they don't mind how log you sit there either.

Alea Mon 14-Sep-15 09:49:52

I thought Carluccio's was at Brindleyplace, not the Bull Ring? The one I know certainly is there, near the Ikon Gallery.

Elrel Mon 14-Sep-15 11:35:22

Just a thought - how about meeting for coffee at BMAG tearoom then at lunch time those wanting a meal could move on to the Carluccio's which is a 5/10 minute walk away in Brindley Place. I like Carluccio's but am unsure whether it's a place to sit around for a chat.

Or maybe meet at the Ikon for coffee as it is so near Carluccio's. It's not very big and never having been there in the morning I don't know how popular/crowded it is!