Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Birmingham meet up....

(266 Posts)
Tegan Thu 27-Aug-15 11:33:45

...some of us are keen to have another meet up. I think the art gallery was a good place, especially now it has been re vamped. I'm away on and off quite a lot over the next couple of months, but if any of the 'locals' arrange something I'll do my best to fit in. The good thing about the art gallery is that there's no need to book a table so numbers can be more flexible.

Tegan Mon 14-Sep-15 12:37:47

That sounds like a good idea [BMAG or Ikon]. I'm planning to have a couple of days in Brum again so the 22nd will be my second day and I'll probably be in the city centre quite early. We can book a table at Carluccios closer to the date when numbers are finalised. Carluccios sounds more easy going than Jamies, which doesn't seem to open till 12. Hoping to take in the Back to Backs as well this time.

Elrel Mon 14-Sep-15 15:24:48

OK - let's meet in the BMAG Edwardian tearoom at 11, have a coffee and a chat and take it from there. I will put a GN sign on a table in a corner on the left. Looking forward to meeting everyone on Thursday October 22nd.

Nonnie Mon 14-Sep-15 15:47:17

Only just seen this as I have been away. I can do 22nd too.

I do have an alternative suggestion which is easy by train or bus and that is The Green Room which is opposite the front of the Hippodrome. I have seen reserved tables there so we could pre book. www.thegreenroomcafebar.co.uk/

By then John Lewis will be open and that is right on top of the station. They always have a pretty good selection in their restaurants.

I can get to pretty much anywhere on my bus pass. Park at DS's house and then get anywhere.

Tegan Mon 14-Sep-15 15:53:21

Oh good; we can talk graveyards grin!!!#weknowhowtoentertainpeopleinbrumthatwedo!!!

Elrel Mon 14-Sep-15 16:10:24

Nonnie - last Tuesday I was meeting friends at the Green Room for an early meal then the Sylvie Guillem production (unbelievably fluid at 50!!). I got there cold and an unavoidable hour early. My Amaretto coffee and a brownie from the dessert menu really hit the spot. I couldn't even finish the brownie - unheard of!! Not cheap but a real treat and so worth every penny! It's certainly an idea to go there either in October or another time.
For those who aren't familiar with Brum it's right by the Arcadian Centre and on Hurst Street.

Elrel Mon 14-Sep-15 16:11:50

PS so looking forward to having John Lewis at last!

Nonnie Tue 15-Sep-15 10:50:00

Eirel we were there too, wasn't she amazing? Didn't like all the choreography but SG was brilliant. Look forward to long dance chats!

Tegan Tue 15-Sep-15 10:55:03

...only after the cemetery one grin. I'm am jealous of you two seeing her envy

Teetime Tue 15-Sep-15 15:37:51

Green room sounds nice - sorry I don't know Birmingham at all is it near the station. I like the idea of JL as its on top of the station I believe and I need to get an outfit for my grandsons wedding. So are we definitely on for the 22nd?

Tegan Tue 15-Sep-15 15:44:26

Unless any of us have last minute hiccups it's definite for that date. If John Lewis is open it does sound like a good place to eat; when I was in Edinburgh last week I stupidly dawdled on my way back to the station and nearly missed my train [next one wasn't for nearly 3 hours] so I'd prefer to be as close to the station as possible! I do get a bit sidetracked when there are shops around....

Nonnie Tue 15-Sep-15 16:08:11

I agree with JL but we must check that it only has one restaurant! Anyone unable to find New St Station in Brum will get lost wherever they are! grin

Tegan Tue 15-Sep-15 16:19:35

But it's a really weird station,being almost underground. Snow Hill is a 'proper' station.

Teetime Tue 15-Sep-15 19:56:47

Ok I will check out JL

Alea Tue 15-Sep-15 19:57:12

The opening of John Lewis in Birmngham made me think of a wonderful birthday card I saw the other day, which will be perfect for DD1. It was one of those "vintage" 30's black and white photographs and said
"Oh darling , could life get any better? I've got the most handsome man in the world, perfect children, granite work surfaces, sash windows. . . . and now Waitrose is opening on the High Street!"

For Waitrose (yes she shops there too) substitute John Lewis!!

Tegan Tue 15-Sep-15 20:08:53

Crikey; it's John Lewis that someone sent me on a Birmingham facebook page that has The Eye of Sauron on it!

Nonnie Wed 16-Sep-15 16:02:41

Tegan 'weird' is far more polite than I would have used for the old New St station, I am hoping the new one is a massive improvement.

kittylester Wed 16-Sep-15 16:10:28

Nice of you to think of me but I don't think I said I could come at all! I hoping for a Market Harborough one with granjura and others from round here. grin

Elrel Thu 17-Sep-15 00:20:34

Nonnie: over the past year or so it's been remarkably easy to get lost IN New Street Station as they altered bits of it almost weekly to cope with the rebuilding!
kittylester: Sorry you won't be coming after all but I found the gluten-free research I did fascinating!
Tegan: the eye is, err, large, dominates what I assume to be the main entrance and impossible to overlook. I thought it reminded me of The Great Gatsby but suspect that you are correct re Lord of the Rings. When I saw it last week I got the impression that it was blinking ...

Tegan Thu 17-Sep-15 00:45:31

Someone on the Winson Green facebook page suggested a walk round Edgbaston Reservoir which led to us talking about the two towers and then someone put up 'The Eye of Sauron' smile.

Nonnie Thu 17-Sep-15 11:16:23

We walked round Edgbaston reservoir a couple of months ago and were the only ones walking, everyone else was running and puffing! Saw some rats, why is it they look OK in their natural habitat but not near houses?

Did I hear that the 'eye' monitors the public to see what type of person is around and advertises accordingly?

Tegan Thu 17-Sep-15 11:50:56

Then we'll all stand there in a group and see what it shows smile..could be interesting!

Nonnie Thu 17-Sep-15 11:55:07

Zimmer frames? grin

Teetime Thu 17-Sep-15 12:24:05

kitty I'll come to MH have you a date in mind?

Tegan Thu 17-Sep-15 12:30:37

Nonnie; perhaps they were water voles. I used to see 'rats' in the canal years ago and realised later they were water voles. Yes; I'd like to get to the EM meet up as well smile.

Elegran Thu 17-Sep-15 12:42:53

Did they have tails, nonnie ?