Gransnet forums

Menopause

Happiness

(84 Posts)
Loobs Mon 13-Mar-17 06:56:11

I was lying in bed this morning thinking about life in general (as you do) and I realised that I have never felt truly happy since the menopause. I am aware that there is so much sadness and suffering in the World and that I have a good life in comparison - 2 lovely daughters, 4 gorgeous grandchildren and yet! It's as though a portion of happiness has been removed, almost as though my joy of life has lost the top layer?? I am nearly 61 and can say that I haven't felt that true, joyous happiness since my mid 50's, which was when I started the menopause as well as becoming Hypothyroid and anemic. I have both those things under control so why am I not fully joyful?? I am not depressed, reasonably healthy but I just don't seem able to feel complete contentment/happiness/joy. I am aware that pre the menopause I had more feelings, it is as though I have been de-sensitised to life? So, is it just me or do others suffer from this - any ideas how to get my mojo back?? I have thought about taking up running - I used to walk 5 miles every morning before breakfast but that has fallen by the wayside (there is always an ache somewhere to give me an excuse not to) - is it that simple though, can exercise make that much difference?? I take supplements, tried |HRT which didn't help - surely the rest of my life won't be this continual 90%?

Jane10 Mon 13-Mar-17 07:42:38

Sounds a bit like a low level depression. Get out there for some walks in the fresh air. There's evidence that being out in 'nature' can have a positive effect on mood.
Otherwise, try not to ruminate. Easier said than done I know. Happiness is a funny thing -in can creep up on you while you're busy doing something else! Contentment is more easily maintained.

PRINTMISS Mon 13-Mar-17 08:33:22

I agree with Jane10 the fresh air does a lot of good, have a look at nature, the lovely flowers that are just making their presence known, and just for a moment, think how lucky you are to be able to do that.

Teetime Mon 13-Mar-17 08:42:55

Yes I agree as well. I'm off to golf this morning (I don't suggest this is for everyone) and I don't want to go as I am feeling much as you do at the moment Loobs but I know I will feel better as I do it and certainly the feeling of achievement is a nice moderate high. So get out those running shoes and off you go. flowers

annsixty Mon 13-Mar-17 09:23:32

Only much sympathy from me as I have the same feelings BUT I am nearly 80 and have much sadness in my life. So give yourself a good talking to, count your blessings, try to see the GC more, that is always good for me, and get out more and make your own good times.

bettyboo22 Mon 13-Mar-17 09:29:41

Hi get a dog really does help it will get you out walking meeting people I to am going through menopause and all the crap that goes with it hot flushes sex drive What sex drive that's gone and general lows but I've got my dogs and they keep me happy Good Luck smile

radicalnan Mon 13-Mar-17 09:30:56

Dysthymia is very debilitating............depression that just sucks the joy out of life. I agree with everyone else exercise, fresh air, nature, if you don't do sporty type things then I find the garden is an answer. Gets you out of the house.

Just a walk a day ............

I have just had so many sad things happen to me that lack of joy is my default setting....and dips from time to time into something very much worse...........look after yourself.

Grannybags Mon 13-Mar-17 09:38:32

I agree with all the comments so far. I try and walk every day, and tell myself off when I try and convince myself that those little niggles are far too bad to walk with! I feel so much better by the time I get home, even if the weather hasn't been too good. I wish you all the best flowers

Tingleydancer Mon 13-Mar-17 09:40:49

It does sound as if you have mild depression. You do need to take care of yourself and if your low mood increases see your GP. Exercise and the outdoors can help; what about joining a walking group? Also make sure you have a good diet and perhaps a vitamin supplement. There is joy in life after 60 but you need to optimise your situation so that you can find it! Sometimes anti depressants can help too.

Lewlew Mon 13-Mar-17 09:45:39

I started early with peri-menopause at 38 and at 67 am still suffering and take a low dose of HRT, using gel + progesterone tablets. It's helped a lot. Without HRT I would be seriously struggling.

Exercise does really help! Even if just a walk as it releases the endorphins. So even if I start out blah... I end up a lot better. Not dancing a jig, but more relaxed and able to cope.

There are a few books out there. Dr Rosemary Leonard has written a good one, but it won't be published till next year? Why so long from the promo in a magazine to publishing?

Here's the piece in Sunday Express (I only buy it for the magazine, really!!)

www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/774184/menopause-health-tips-hot-flush-sweat-hormones

Anyways, there are some on Amazon UK, and am sure you can find them in the high street bookstores, too. The one at the link below had good reviews. Many offer natural remedies, like St John's Wort (Leonard did too in her promo piece). That is up to you. But they help to get familiar with the symptoms of menopause 'uglies', it's empowering not to be in the dark. And you cannot just snap out of it, so talk to your GP about HRT if it's for you.

Read some of the book descriptions and reviews on menopause books, maybe you will fine one will strike a chord give you some support. I noticed the reviews on this one were very good. I always read reviews and see how many are high vs low stars. Also I look for British authors.

So...That's Why I'm Bonkers!

www.amazon.co.uk/Thats-Why-Bonkers-surviving-menopause/dp/1518801463/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1489397377&sr=1-3&keywords=menopause&tag=gransnetforum-21

flowers wine flowers

Jayanna9040 Mon 13-Mar-17 09:46:09

Also I would say take a look at the people you spend time with. Stimulating company always makes a difference!

Kitspurr Mon 13-Mar-17 09:47:17

Would you consider a full medical, just to rule out anything that might be lurking? Do you think you'd benefit from counselling. Sometimes talking helps to sort things out in your head.

I agree with walking being a tonic. I've been through a difficult year and walking most days helps to clear the cobwebs. It doesn't change what's happening, but just seems to ease the anxiety a little bit.

rocketstop Mon 13-Mar-17 09:49:28

Dear Loobs,
I feel sorry that you feel this way, but PLEASE try to grab life with both hands. I am quite a lot younger than you, had to have a hysterectomy and they found a cancer. I was plunged into surgical menopause which is violently unpleasant, everything you are feeling in a natural menopause is times ten.Added to that, since my operation I have had several complications and infections that are ongoing and every day is a struggle, but when it all gets too much, I look outside and am so thankful for the chance of more time, seeing my family's faces, seeing the sun, the flowers, nature. Some days I hate myself and am DEFINITELY not who I was before, it is sad, but look at the alternative. I'm not preaching, and I understand we each have our own upsets, who can know what is REALLY going on in another person's life. Just be open to new experiences and happy thoughts, I wish you well, and if you like, I'll happily swap !!!

TerriBull Mon 13-Mar-17 09:51:25

I sympathise Loobs, I too still have menopausal symptoms, feeling overly hot mainly and have an under active thyroid for which I take Throxine, which has never really been a silver bullet as far as energy levels are concerned. In America they prescribe something call Armour which is derived from pigs' thyroids I believe. From I have read this treats our condition more effectively, but NICE haven't approved it here, it's more expensive to produce than synthetic Throxine. When Hillary Clinton had her fainting episode and made her medical notes available, I did read that she was taking it for her under active thyroid.

I also tried HRT patches which did help, but when one doctor at my practice took my blood pressure recently she told me it was raised and this was probably due to the HRT and advised me to come off it When I went back to see the original doctor who prescribed it she told me that reading was not concerning and when she took my blood pressure again it was perfectly normal and told me I shouldn't have come off it. Conflicting advice hmm so now I am considering going back on HRT, anything to get some more energy and a good night's sleep. It seems for many women the menonpause and an under active thyroid diagnosis arrive simultaneously which doesn't help, and both can affect mood.

I hope you find some solution that lifts your spirits, I agree with others regarding fresh air and nature, particularly on a sunny, warm day.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 13-Mar-17 10:00:42

Loobs
Is there no man in your life?
Not the be all and end all of what makes life interesting, but, and NO not with someone else's man, a new relationship beats a five mile morning run any day.

NellD Mon 13-Mar-17 10:01:26

I feel pretty much the same so you are not alone.
Since the menopause everything is a little flat, almost as if there's a blanket over my emotions. I used to be full of energy, happy and full of optimism. People used to call me 'perky'!
I don't disagree with what's already been said but I also think that telling you to buck up your ideas isn't exactly going to help that much because it's a physiological thing, it's not in your head - your body has changed.
So I am going to say this......on the plus side, you are a new person! This is a new phase in your life and it might be helpful to think about some of the positives of the new you. Are you more analytical? Thoughtful? Can you see through all the s@#t?

Try new things, don't try to be the old you. Sending you hugs!

(Oh and try to have lots of sex, it's great for the brain)

harrysgran Mon 13-Mar-17 10:04:48

I agree with previous comments for me it isn't so much not feeling happy its more I don't feel the same enthusiasm or excitement but on the plus side at 60 and not suffering as many symptoms now I feel much calmer and less stressed when I was younger I did have more enthusiasm for life but always felt a little stressed and had a much shorter temper.

Lyndie Mon 13-Mar-17 10:16:52

Loobs I know how you feel, it's like a darkness, dampening in your brain. The fact it's there stops you from wanting to go for walks etc. I try to remind myself to live in the moment and actually tell myself to enjoy it. People, the sun, children. I go through long periods when I forget but when I remember I definitely feel better. It could be other things in your life need changing. People around you might be negative. I hope this helps.

tigger Mon 13-Mar-17 10:17:29

Get into the garden asap

Beejo Mon 13-Mar-17 10:21:20

I feel much the same and often feel overwhelmed by a busy life when pre-menopause I relished it. Trying to keep on top of the necessary technology exhausts me, especially as HD leaves it to me.

Dancing is my saviour, it just makes me happy but I do worry about what will take it's place when I can't do it any longer. And friends. I've been lucky enough to make a number of new friends in the last few years (never had a lot due to moving around a fair bit) and spending time with them is always uplifting (some more than others wink)

monkeywings123 Mon 13-Mar-17 10:32:23

I could have written both posts here . . . .from Loobs and TerriBull . . . . . thought it was just me!!! Agree with the "de-sensitised" to life . . . .feeling little to nothing much of the time then thoroughly pee'd off the remainder!!Can't even remember any "happy" times - - - on a positive note - - I agree re walking - - -it does make you feel better but difficult to find motivation when every part of you aches!!

Janet14 Mon 13-Mar-17 10:33:33

Just wanted to add that I too have underactive thyroid and felt really flat. Had Vit D tested and subsequently prescribed. It made an amazing difference.
Hope you're feeling more on top of the world soon Looks.

moxeyns Mon 13-Mar-17 10:55:50

I was wondering about vit D too - such a simple fix.

Getting outside seems to be important too, for a bit of mental bounce; and it sounds terribly Pollyanna-ish, but I find a 2Joy jar" really helps - I write myself a note about things that have made my heart lift - like seeing a buzzard on the breeze - and re-read them if I'm feeling flat.

Hope things improve soon for you! sunshineflowers

phantom12 Mon 13-Mar-17 11:31:43

I feel for you Loobs. I feel as if someone flicked a switch when I hit the menopause at 51. That was 10 years ago. As I was already on medication for high blood pressure I was not allowed to take HRT. Can't say that I have suffered with hot flushes as such but the worst thing is vaginal dryness. The Dr gave me cream which didn't do a lot so sex is virtually off the menu now. Also I have been told I am diabetic although I don't need medication yet. Have to wear hearing aids(very unsexy) and have arthritis in my knees. The final straw is having to work until 66 years old. I am a library assistant so lost all of my colleagues through cuts etc. I now work with all new, young enthusiastic staff in a job that I now hate! I often wish that I could turn back the clock and be a young mum again!

rentawitch Mon 13-Mar-17 11:49:32

And check your vit D and magnesium levels. If you are not working, volunteer.