Gransnet forums

News & politics

Pollsters predict shock Tory Losses

(185 Posts)
GracesGranMK2 Tue 30-May-17 22:42:27

YouGov estimate points to hung parliament with 20 fewer seats for May

Its only one poll but a very large one predicting a Conservative Party loss of 20 seats and Labour gain of nearly 30 leading to a hung parliament.

Ana Wed 31-May-17 11:25:26

(to wombat)

Irishrose Wed 31-May-17 11:27:12

I hope the Torys are booted out. What an unfair society we live in The labour party is for the people while the Torys are all for keeping the rich richer at the expense of everyone else. If everyone in the N H S voted labour we might be able to keep the gem of a health service we have.They conservative folk in Dowing Street should be made to watch the Ken Roach film I Daniel Blake maybe they might just see how many have to live .

Nemo Wed 31-May-17 11:27:54

Seem to be finding a lot of hair when I was or brush it ?. I'm 67, any suggestions for what to do please?

quizqueen Wed 31-May-17 11:34:37

Although I obviously hope to leave an inheritance for my children, the previous figure which you had to get down to before the state took over paying for your care was less than £25,000 so the figure in the Tory manifesto is now 4 x times that.

What people should be more concerned about is that those who don't attempt to provide for themselves in any way will be the ones to benefit the most. If people think Labour will be able to pay for all they are promising they will be very disappointed. They almost ruined the economy last time they were in government or have you forgotten the 'There's no money left' note.

grabba Wed 31-May-17 11:35:52

Lets hope it's a landslide away from the present Government.

Teresa May is alleged to have said she will go after this election. Kind of puts a different slant on the Brexit negotiations if she isn't going to be handling them. Rumour has it they will have Boris doing that job.

radicalnan Wed 31-May-17 11:36:47

JC has said that no Uni fees 'will begin this autumn' if he gets in so the kids may turn up and vote him in.

They are all the same sort of animal, I loathe all politicians with a passion normally reserved for Kale and other un natural stuff.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 31-May-17 12:22:50

It'll be interesting to see if any of these polls are right. I gather that TM called this election because she thought there'd be a landslide, thus giving her more power. Pride comes before a fall, as they say.
OTOH if all the Tories take the poll seriously they'll all go out and vote. We shall see.

durhamjen Wed 31-May-17 12:47:50

Corbyn has also said he is on his way to Cambridge to take part in the debate tonight. He's challenged May to go as well.

Blinko Wed 31-May-17 12:51:08

Wombat grin

Sheilasue Wed 31-May-17 13:02:13

Think I am getting to like Mr.C liked the interview on the one show.

Anya Wed 31-May-17 13:12:04

Nice one Wombat!

Anya Wed 31-May-17 13:13:29

Interesting that the only empty chair will be May's tonight....or will she have another U-turn hmm

Tegan2 Wed 31-May-17 13:15:51

Could put a tub of lard there or, in May's case a pair of kitten heeled shoes....

daphnedill Wed 31-May-17 13:37:58

quizqueen Don't assume that people who don't have £100,000 in assets haven't attempted to provide for themselves.

daphnedill Wed 31-May-17 13:40:21

PS. Labour must have been massively more influential than I thought, if they managed to crash the whole world's economy. It was nothing to do with sub-prime mortgages in the US and Lehmann's crash, of course.hmm

whitewave Wed 31-May-17 13:44:34

Who on earth said Labour was responsible for the crash!!!! grin. As Trump would say FALSE NEWS!!!

FarNorth Wed 31-May-17 13:54:06

Here's an example of Boris Johnson's excellent debating skills :

www.thecanary.co/2017/05/30/realising-jeremy-corbyn-might-actually-win-boris-johnson-loses-national-television-video/

Jaycee5 Wed 31-May-17 14:05:28

Lilyflower Where are you getting those figures from because I cannot find them anywhere.
Land value tax is not a 'granny garden' tax. It is a tax which has a great deal of support from economists:
Adam Smith 'Nothing could be more reasonable'
Milton Freeman (who is far from left wing) 'the least bad tax'
Winston Churchill
The OECD, IMF, IFS, New York Mayor, etc.
Over 30 countries have some form of Land Value Tax. Many exempt householders.

One of the main reasons that Labour wants to bring in a Land Value Tax is that it would be fairer than business rates. Anyone who has run a business will know that these can often be one of the highest expenses a business has to pay. They have had made discussions with small business organisations and business rates are one of their biggest problems.
Land Value Tax would replace council tax so that figure that you quote would have to be compared with the amount currently paid for that.

daphnedill Wed 31-May-17 14:19:32

The Land Value Tax (Garden Tax) headlines are pure Daily Mail scare mongering and lies!!!!!!!!

Readthis (it's quite safe to open):

evolvepolitics.com/right-wing-press-lying-labours-land-value-tax-heres-truth/

whitewave Wed 31-May-17 14:21:50

The gutter press is beginning to scrap the barrel.

Ana Wed 31-May-17 14:23:05

About time, it needs scrapping!

daphnedill Wed 31-May-17 14:23:24

The other thing about a Land Value Tax is that land in Central London is worth loads more than (say) Middlesbrough, but council tax in wealthier areas can sometimes be more than in poorer ones. It would be more progressive.

It stops speculators buying up land or empty properties and doing nothing with them. It's also difficult to squirrel land away offshore!

daphnedill Wed 31-May-17 14:25:50

Beginning? The gutter press has been scraping forsolong that I'm surprised it hasn't worn through the wood.

Ooops! I meant council tax in wealthier areas can sometimes be less than in poorer ones.

whitewave Wed 31-May-17 14:25:50

It sounds an eminently sensible policy.

I think that the Tories have run out of ideas, not that they had many in the first place except bash the poor who are a drain on the system, and austerity.

whitewave Wed 31-May-17 14:26:30

grin dd