Gransnet forums

News & politics

is this acceptable from YOUR elected MP's?

(58 Posts)
paddyann Tue 12-Jun-18 21:23:43

Tory MP tells SNP MP he should go commit suicide ...during Brexit debate over devolution powers .The "esteemed "Speaker chose to ignore it.I cant see that happening if the shoe was on the other foot . The filibustering continued until time was up on the motion.Scottish powers will be taken back by Westminster and NOT returned to Scotland from the EU .Its a disgrace!

POGS Sun 17-Jun-18 21:04:02

Can somebody explain why Ian Blackford (Ross, Skye and Lochaber, SNP) asked the Speaker ' to ask that this 'House do now sit in private ' ?

What were the SNP hoping would be gained by stopping the public viewing the process of Parliament ?

My understanding of what happened, I was watching it live on t.v, the Speaker gave Blackford what he was asking for but the Speaker said after PMQ's a vote could be taken not immediately as Blackford was calling for.

I thought it was poetic justice if I remember correctly there were 4/5 questions that SNP members did not get to ask because they had all left PMQ's . Again what was the point of them doing that, what did they gain by not being there to challenge the PM?

Anniebach Sun 17-Jun-18 22:04:04

Publicity

mcem Sun 17-Jun-18 22:34:17

I believe that convention dictates that this call stops business immediately and Bercow was wrong to delay it by 15 minutes. Blackford was in effect protesting about the way that Scottish mp's had been totally excluded from the debate concerning the 'power grab'. Without getting into the rights and wrongs of how this was handled (far too late tonight)
I'd like to know why it was ok to break parliamentary protocol in this case but the Deputy Speaker stuck strictly to the rules when the ridiculous Chope shouted "object"!
Sauce? Goose? Gander?

Granny23 Tue 19-Jun-18 23:01:46

Mhairi Black explaining the Westminster system

www.thenational.scot/news/16300034.WATCH__Mhairi_Black_brilliantly_exposes_the_ridiculous_Westminster_system_in_this_viral_video/?ref=mr&lp=1

POGS Wed 20-Jun-18 09:20:43

Can I ask what the PM meant by :-

" If the right hon. Gentleman is concerned about the legislative process the House has followed, he should really ask why the Labour party used procedural manoeuvres last night to ensure that there was no debate on the amendments that referred to Scotland. "

It's all very complicated and I am not arguing for or against the point the SNP are making but I think the protest by the SNP only stopped them from asking the question during PMQ's and making their point in Hansard for all to see and hear.

It was a stunt that backfired to some , to others it was a genius move to stick 2 fingers up to Westminster .

You takes her pick.

mcem Wed 20-Jun-18 10:04:07

Thanks for the link granny23.
VERY interesting!
My tablet froze so I think I missed the question session but what a fascinating/frustrating look at HoC 'procedures'.
The contrast between the voting systems (and timing) of Holyrood and Wasteminster were particularly interesting!

varian Wed 20-Jun-18 18:54:31

My MP is a brexit supporting Tory. He does not represent me or most folk I know round here. He might as well be the proverbial sack of potatoes wearing a blue rosette.