Gransnet forums

News & politics

The idiot Trump!

(237 Posts)
phoenix Thu 12-Jul-18 18:12:44

Well, according to him, we have voted to "break up the EU"

Erm, no, the vote was just for leaving. Just goes to show how much of a grasp he has.

I despair, that such an ill informed person is in such a position

I feel sorry for the Queen, having to be polite to such a predatory, sexually assaulting, obnoxious oik.

Jalima1108 Sat 14-Jul-18 19:38:40

Personally I think he makes Kim Jon Un seem like a pussy cat
I think that is stretching it a bit far; does he starve the population to keep them suppressed? Or refuse to let them leave?

I do sometimes think that, with the hatred of Trump at such high levels, people are losing sight of the atrocities perpetrated around the world by other leaders.

Jalima1108 Sat 14-Jul-18 19:40:31

and I don't think he is at all OK, BlueBelle

Neilspurgeon0 Sat 14-Jul-18 21:37:23

Hit the nail right on the head fennel he really doesn’t care a jot what anyone thinks of him - “I’m alright Jack” springs to mind

maddyone Sat 14-Jul-18 23:51:12

Quizqueen, your post of 15.52, thank you for your excellent contribution to the discussion. Also, good post AdeleJay at 14.59.

starbox Sun 15-Jul-18 00:05:21

Goodness, Bluebelle, what a silly post! Having read several memoirs by N Koreans (concentration camp conditions, starvation, terror, torture, kids in jail...) I can assure you that it's a bit worse than Trump's USA! (Mexicans break INTO USA!) Check out 'Dear Leader' by Jang Jin-Sung, you will be surprised and informed.

maddyone Sun 15-Jul-18 00:08:38

Jalima, you are so right, I started out feeling that I didn’t much care about the blimp and the ridiculous marches re Trump, but I’ve changed my position because the position so many people so many people have taken, including many on Gransnet, is truly ridiculous. The man is not someone I’d choose for my best friend, and frankly, apart from his money, I have no idea what Melania sees in him, but the description many people give of his ‘crimes’ make me think that they have absolutely no idea of what goes on in the rest of the world. Yes, he’s rude, objectionable, he wouldn’t win any beauty contests, he’s arrogant, and full of himself. He’s not a tyrant, if anyone thinks he is, they should try looking the word up in a dictionary. As for racist, I think we have a few here in the UK. A misogynist, along with a few million others I think, including many from different cultures where to be a misogynist is normal. Separation of illegal adults from their children, it’s been going on for years, and in particular, under Obama.
Perhaps people should get off their fashionable, liberal high horses and behave in a truly dignified way, what has always been called the British way, the stiff upper lip, a bit like the queen, love her or hate her, she behaved with quiet dignity yesterday when meeting Trump, what a shame the rest of us can’t.

maddyone Sun 15-Jul-18 00:10:18

Starbox, quite!

maddyone Sun 15-Jul-18 00:12:21

Bluebelle, you’re last post is ridiculous.

OldMeg Sun 15-Jul-18 03:46:31

What Melania sees in him? Simple! A meal ticket and a life style she could never aspire too. But I bet she never realised the true cost.

OldMeg Sun 15-Jul-18 03:47:52

There’s a lot of truth in BB’s post. I might not go along with the bit about Kim Jong but it’s not ridiculous or silly.

Beau Sun 15-Jul-18 06:14:53

maddyone, very good post. Sick of the criticism of Trump particularly when we host fascists here and there are no demonstrations.

Lilyflower Sun 15-Jul-18 07:11:19

I hold no torch for Trump but he is the POTUS. The level of childishness and ill bred ire on this thread is incredible.

And the Queen has met some genuine despots and tyrants so I think she can take a mere boor in her stride.

maryeliza54 Sun 15-Jul-18 07:20:02

If DT behaved like a POTUS, if DT respected the office of POTUS then perhaps we would treat him like a POTUS but basically he’s a pig ignorant racist, sexist,homophobic, narcissistic bigot who is putting the world at risk and I seriously question the values and morals of anyone who thinks he deserves anything but the utmost contempt.

maryeliza54 Sun 15-Jul-18 07:23:10

And the utter utter stupidity of comparing him with other leaders - what on earth is that about?

OldMeg Sun 15-Jul-18 07:26:49

Remember his awful election speeches? He is more than a ‘mere boor’

I’m going to be allowing a probable Trump supporter into my house for 10 days in August. I’m dreading this. So I’m going to make it clear that in the interest of harmony his name is not allowed in my house.

Iam64 Sun 15-Jul-18 07:43:27

Best of luck with your August house guest OldMeg. Good plan to ban the name.
maryeliza54 - maybe we should just have one of those yes/no competitions on gransnet. Is Trump fit to be Potus - v Is Trump not fit to be Potus. I know which question would get my vote.

grammargran Sun 15-Jul-18 08:56:51

I’ve staggered through these posts (OK, speed read some of the longer ones) with an unwilling fascination. What bothers me is that, for the first time in my life I think, I’ve come cross someone that I really loathe - and it does bother me. I don’t know the man apart from the public face - and I still detest him. As many on this thread say in support, he says it as it is - but, my goodness, there are ways are doing this without bullying and metaphorically smashing people into the ground. That’s the way a 12-year old would do it. I think he’s desperately insecure, particularly when faced with those who are intellectually superior (and if they are women, that makes it ten times worse) and just lashes out verbally without thinking. He must be a psychiatrist’s dream, insecure, immature, a compulsive liar - and holds our future in his hands. Be afraid, be very afraid ....

Jalima1108 Sun 15-Jul-18 09:42:46

As usual on these threads, some posters assume that every opinion should be either one extreme or another.

Because I expressed the opinion that I think that is stretching it a bit far to think that Kim Jong Un is a pussycat in comparison to Trump does not mean that I am, in any way, a supporter of Trump. I think I have made that clear in other posts.

However, I think that sometimes it is useful to look at the whole situation with more clarity than with a viewpoint clouded with hatred of a person - there are worse despots in the world than Trump although he still has time to prove that view wrong.

Personally, I think that the OP set the right tone with the heading of the thread and would add some of the other adjectives used to describe him on here.

However, the USA is a democracy and, at some point, he will be voted out or no longer eligible to stand for the office of POTUS, unlike many other leaders of other regimes.
Let's hope that his advisers manage to contain his enthusiasm for causing absolute chaos in the meantime.

Rhinestone Sun 15-Jul-18 13:59:33

No no no QuizqueenYou have it wrong. The cover of Time shows Trump looking down at a child. That was put together from two pictures, a picture of T alone and the little girl who was crying because her mother had to put her down as she was being searched by an officer. In the immigration centers they put wire fencing around the children. But no they aren’t tops on the fencing.
Obama and Bush had an immigration policy but they DIDNT separate children from their families unless a crime like drugs was involved. The children stayed with their moms if th dad was deported.
The mocking that T did was his interpretation of someone being stupid in his opinion. It didn’t look nice because he had been questioned by a person that had a disability.
GabriellaGThe problem with T speaking his mind is that he contradicts what he says. He said not too nice things about your Prime Minister TM but then said he didn’t say it when we all heard him in his own voice say it. Then he said she was a great person.
As for his third wife I know she didn’t ask to be First Lady but since she got the job she hadn’t done much. She gave a speech plagiarizing Michelle Obama’s , and her platform is to stop bullying. Personally I don’t see much depth to her and she’s all about how she looks and what she wears imo.

varian Sun 15-Jul-18 17:54:27

Thank you Rhinestone for giving us the truth which is apparent to other US citizens like you.

Iam64 Sun 15-Jul-18 18:08:26

ThAnks Rhinestone, my American friends say the same as you.
Some people say they admire Trump for speaking his mind, telling it like it is. He speaks his mind, one of the many problems with this, is his mind is all over the place. The Sun tapes an interview with him, he then accuses The Sun of fake news. He lies, distorts, bullys, manipulates - I can’t think of a single positive comment to make about him.

Nandalot Sun 15-Jul-18 18:53:23

Second all those thanks, Rhinestone. You corrected some misinformed opinions very clearly.

varian Sun 15-Jul-18 19:56:30

I do hope, Rhinestone that you will reassure your American friends that British folk harbour no animosity towards them, but are appalled by the dreadful behaviour of your President.

He has demeaned the office of POTUS to such an extent that all respect has evaporated, but most of us Brits are still keen to be close to the American people, or at least to the majority of the American people who did not vote for Donald Trump.

Vivian123 Sun 15-Jul-18 20:17:05

I agree that Trump does not come over as a very nice person, however, he does seem to put the USA (his Country) before other Countries. It would be nice if some of our lot were to put the UK top of the list instead of kowtowing to 'jolly foreigner'.

jura2 Sun 15-Jul-18 20:26:44

Vivian - the key is which one ...

would you like to kowtow Trump, or Putin? Or be strong and above equal partners in the EU, our closest allies in more ways than one.