Gransnet forums

News & politics

Time to put differences aside and help the Greek people

(96 Posts)
jura2 Tue 24-Jul-18 22:04:58

what can we do- Europe must come together to help them.

MawBroon Wed 25-Jul-18 08:40:02

Oops fire services have not “has”!

Iam64 Wed 25-Jul-18 09:25:39

What differences? The positive links between Greece and the UK are very well established. The people of this island are always generous with financial and other aid at times of disaster in other countries.
What possible doubt can there be that "Europe" won't come together to offer help to Greece. No doubt at all. There are already appeals on social media, receiving very positive responses.

MawBroon Wed 25-Jul-18 09:32:14

Was this perhaps just a convenient “bandwagon “?

jura2 Wed 25-Jul-18 09:37:56

oh Merlot 'jura, could you not just shut up about bloody Brexit for once? What has happened in Greece is horrifying and heartbreaking.

Give it a rest.'

that was exactly what my post was for - for GS! arrrghhh.

jura2 Wed 25-Jul-18 09:39:16

... and others- that was the whole b.....y point! But no...

What is happening is just heart breaking and a massive tragedy.

PamelaJ1 Wed 25-Jul-18 09:53:06

I think that simple humanity is worldwide.
Why did you narrow it down to Europe?

Jalima1108 Wed 25-Jul-18 09:59:05

I was weeping as I watched this on the news last night.

I must say that I am appalled that anyone would try to use this tragedy as political ammunition about bloody Brexit (to coin a good phrase - thank you merlot).

If we are needed the UK will be there as it always is when help is needed worldwide.

MawBroon Wed 25-Jul-18 10:03:24

No “differences” for countries to forget, Aid is being /has been sent, but if it gives you something different to emote about, go ahead.

PECS Wed 25-Jul-18 10:12:00

Maw sadly unnecessary 'austerity measures in this country imposed by our own government have left UK fire fighters & other emergency services badly understaffed too.confused

I did not think that EU communities would not support Greece in this situation. It is an emergency in a member state .. not a poltical wrangle...

MawBroon Wed 25-Jul-18 10:19:03

Not arguing with that PECS either and Greece admittedly was in a financial mess back then.
And I think there is no question that all sorts of aid is being sent so I was at a loss as to what OP was mithering on about.

M0nica Wed 25-Jul-18 11:08:19

Yes, OP was behind the news, By the time the thread was posted it had already happened.

jura2 Wed 25-Jul-18 12:05:38

I do wonder if soe of you ever read responses... but just attack nonetheless?

No differences with Greece- but differences among ourselves, and with EU- which have been massively present in thread after thread, post after post.

Some of you really will twist everythig- out of spite. SAD.

What can we do to help, irrespective of country, pro or against, left or right or in between.

Will go and look elsewhere for practical or other ways to support Greece in the current circumstances- just been to Crete, and we were treated with so much friendliness, kindness and more. Poor people.

jura2 Wed 25-Jul-18 12:07:07

mithering MawBroon - really, nasty that- especially in the circumstances. To go with the squawking and blethering I suppose. Low, soooo low. So sad.

Fennel Wed 25-Jul-18 12:24:28

jura - not spite, but why do you always have to be so melodramatic? Is it a Swiss trait?
Speaking for myself I'm more phlegmatic, a british trait?

M0nica Wed 25-Jul-18 12:54:49

Yes, but what is not being done that could be done? Surrounding countries and further afield have responded with offers of helicopters, trained fire fighters and medical assistance. The Greeks are not an underdeveloped country, we are not needing to provide temporary shelters for thousands of homeless people or food supplies for starving masses. The problem is very serious but limited to one area of the country.

jura2 Wed 25-Jul-18 13:00:11

Ah Fennel - I am sorry. Just read that a large group of adults and children have been found burn and dead hugging on top of a hill- so excuse me for being 'melodramatic' - Swiss, British or anything else. I am so glad I am a caring human being... melo XXXXXXXdramatic- now i am angry. Sorry. I feel sick. If you remain untouched by such tragedy- I do feel sorry for you- and am so disappointed in your response Fennel - even others where not expected in this awful context- but then ... OMG stop the world, I want to get off sad

Poor poor people - and sick response from some.

Elegran Wed 25-Jul-18 13:15:41

Oh, Come off it, Jura No-one is saying they are untouched by the tragedy. They are saying that your post sounded as though we were allowing our differences with Greece to influence whether we gave any help to these poor people. That is how it appeared to me, and it seems to a lot of other people, that is why my response was "What differences?"

There is a vast gulf between not accepting what appears to be the point of your post and not caring about people!

And if you are surprised that the OP was interpreted like that, it is because you may not be aware of just how censorious some of your posts can seem. No-one likes to be exhorted to do something in a tone which seems to say that they have to be shamed into it.

Elegran Wed 25-Jul-18 13:21:35

Change "the point of your post" to "your assumption". The point of your post is, of course, the needs of those affected by fire. The apparent assumption is that no-one will do anything until you tell them to.

Fennel Wed 25-Jul-18 13:27:59

Of course I find it upsetting (and thanks Elegran. )
But as others have said they are receiving practical help from many kind nations.
Perhaps when the fires are under control, and better still, it rains, we will all be able to help by making a donation for rebuilding. Many poverty-stricken people will be affected.

Iam64 Wed 25-Jul-18 13:30:15

'...twist everything, out of spite SAD'. A little Trumpish I thought as no one is twisting anything

OldMeg Wed 25-Jul-18 13:38:17

How dare you suggest any of us are untouched by such tragedy ?

I find that offensive and untrue. Get a grip jura and stop insulting people.

jura2 Wed 25-Jul-18 13:53:11

My post was totally misinterpreted, by those who make assumptions based on their prejudice. I will take NO responsibility for this.
Yes, twisiting the meaning and intention of my post - and then wondering why those tragic deaths in the most awful of circumstances, would make anyone wish to respond and do something, anything to help.
Of course I was not telling anyone to do anything- just hoping people would get together to do our best to help. And I have insuted no-one- your wrong assumptions and accusations of blethering and being melo-dramatic are insulting- very much so.

jura2 Wed 25-Jul-18 13:54:06

and again, being un-British and Trumpish - insults indeed.

OldMeg Wed 25-Jul-18 13:59:12

You are mistaken jura and I think you need to stop spitting in fury re-read what you’ve written. You have indeed been insulting to several people and if it was not meant then a simple apology would help.

I have no reason to twist anyone’s words. I quoted back what you had posted and it was quite unambiguous.

jura2 Wed 25-Jul-18 14:01:17

Re read what people have said- after their totally mis-interpreted my op and its intentions.