Gransnet forums

News & politics

Recall Parliament now

(58 Posts)
varian Sun 18-Aug-19 13:00:42

This is a national emergency. There is no mandate for an undemocratic no deal #Brexit. Reckless Johnson + unelected Cummings want to gag our democracy. We have written to the PM to demand Parliament is recalled. RT if you believe @BorisJohnson should #RecallNow

Tom Brake MP, LibDem brexit spokesman

twitter.com/thomasbrake/status/1162985890672762881?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

growstuff Mon 19-Aug-19 15:53:24

The big players in the EU have already negotiated. They agreed to a deal and it's not their fault the HoC rejected it. If you think Johnson is some knight in shining armour, I think you're going to be in for a big disappointment. Undoubtedly, you'll find some way of blaming the EU.

The Irish border issue was mentioned repeatedly before the referendum, but it was all part of Project Fear. More like Project Reality!

growstuff Mon 19-Aug-19 15:57:51

Urmonstgran, The Civil Service has had leave cancelled. I know that from the horse's mouth (as it were). It still doesn't mean they have clear guidelines and if Dominic Cummings doesn't like what they come up with, he'll use them as scapegoats. There is no way that there's enough time to avoid sever disruption. 6,000 civil servants were returned to their original departments after the last deadline failed to happen. Some of them left and all will have to be retrained.

gangy5 Mon 19-Aug-19 19:26:25

I quite possibly was exaggerating in my last thread about the 'few years' of disruption. We must leave on 31st October eiher with or without a deal. The silence from EU fans will be deafening and something to look forward to.

varian Mon 19-Aug-19 19:28:41

"we must leave on 31st Oct"????

Nonsense

Why must we leave when most of us know very well, and have known for more than two years that leaving will damage our country?

POGS Mon 19-Aug-19 20:42:46

Recall of Parliament.

16 days before Parliament reopens. Happy to be corrected

Corbyn is reportedly off to Ghana for 4 days, fact finding mission.

Johnson off to Europe.

What at this late stage would be the advantage and what would it cost the tax payer for compensating MP's and wages for staff etc.

I have no idea of the cost but I assume arrangements to open early must have a cost. Does anybody know?

GagaJo Tue 20-Aug-19 07:37:56

They know the chaos they're about to cause. For a lot of people on the knees financially, caused by their policies, and don't care.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/18/number-10-furious-leak-document-predicting-no-deal-brexit-shortages?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&fbclid=IwAR3OCAT9_N_70kaSiemjMawTqKYHtKHl3SRy3WgJTmxcv801HMkVqGXgdBk

varian Tue 27-Aug-19 12:27:06

£28,000,000,000 in investment funds has left the UK since Boris Johnson became PM.

www.fnlondon.com/articles/no-deal-brexit-fears-push-investment-fund-outflows-to-28bn-20190812?mod=topStories