Gransnet forums

News & politics

Not voting- 1 of many reasons

(183 Posts)
Armynanny Tue 26-Nov-19 20:06:41

Electoral promises are meaningless because politicians are able to lie to gain the favour of the electorate, and then do exactly what they want once they have it. Then there is no accountability or recourse, other than waiting another 5 years or so to vote them out and replace them with someone else who will follow the established template and do the exact same thing.

notanan2 Wed 27-Nov-19 07:04:10

If you don't vote then you cannot complain about what happens in politics - that's what I was brought up with!

You can complain that nobody offered any viable alternative

notanan2 Wed 27-Nov-19 07:05:58

Ppl saying vote tactically arent getting the point that this time there isnt an easily identified worst to vote against. They have all become abhorrant. All offer a hideous distopia one way or another.

Ginny42 Wed 27-Nov-19 07:16:59

Yet not to vote is heading for anarchy. Without a government we would have no enforceable laws, no one in charge of the economy and overall charge of education, health etc. We have to vote for someone.

notanan2 Wed 27-Nov-19 07:31:47

Oh calm down! There has been in a surge in people registering to vote so clearly some at least have someone in mind they can in good cinscious vote for.

Me not voting is not going to lead to anarchy.

Ginny42 Wed 27-Nov-19 07:37:02

Don't leave it to someone else.

TwiceAsNice Wed 27-Nov-19 07:37:59

I would never not vote to do so makes a mockery of the people who fought and died for you to get the right to do so.

Also if anybody is voting because you think you’ll get another referendum I think you’re kidding yourselves, that’s never going to happen

notanan2 Wed 27-Nov-19 07:53:08

The fight was for our right to chose.

And no its not leaving it to someone else unless you have a preference. If you cannot rank them if theyre all just awful then other people who do have preferences arent doing anything for you. Theyre voting for themselves

MaizieD Wed 27-Nov-19 08:01:32

Perhaps you should start a notanan party. Then you could cast your vote for your very own personally tailored policies.

Auntieflo Wed 27-Nov-19 08:15:46

There may have been a surge in people registering to vote, but will they actually do so?

I had heard that some people think that if they have registered, that is it, and not bothered to actually cast a vote.

MaizieD Wed 27-Nov-19 08:22:04

In which case, Auntieflo, do we really want the terminally stupid influencing a vitally important vote?

Iam64 Wed 27-Nov-19 08:24:22

The freedom to vote was hard won for working class men, later by women who fought so hard for our right for equal voting rights.

I agree with those who suggest voting least worst in this particular election. The leaders of both main parties are the only ones who can become PM and neither of them fill we me anything other than anxiety, Mr Johnson tops the list for me in terms of anxiety but I accept many feel as strongly about Mr Corbyn.
I wish we didn't have FPTP but we do so I'll use my vote to support my current constituency MP who I like and respect. If I didn't have that choice, I'd vote for the party best representing my views (Green at the current time)

GracesGranMK3 Wed 27-Nov-19 08:26:34

Rather like Jura I feel I have been on the defensive where Corbyn is concerned for years because so many chose to attack absolutely everything about him. As it turns out I like the Green New Deal and they seem to be the only party attempting to deal with the racism in the country while other talk about it being everyone's fault but theirs. I have seen the attacks from big money and those with very regressive views and had to ask myself why. Perhaps, in the end, I am going for Labour in spite of Jeremy Corbyn.

I know not all policies will be carried out but the Labour Party, in some ways my second choice after the Greens, has more chance of setting the direction of travel for the Green New Deal.

I don't vote because if what my ancestors did, although I am glad the radicals of their day fought in all the ways they knew for democracy. I vote, come what may, as my fight for continued democracy. That, to me means a "no vote" is an abdication of our promises to future generations and I prefer to look to the future rather than the past.

notanan2 Wed 27-Nov-19 09:05:15

When Corbyn gets a grilling in interviews or press his supporters cry "BIAS" even when its an interviewer or press outlet who grill everyone and dont flatter any party!

notanan2 Wed 27-Nov-19 09:08:34

That, to me means a "no vote" is an abdication of our promises to future generations and I prefer to look to the future rather than the past.

But if you vote for a bad party just for the sake of voting (and they are all bad at the mo IMO) and then they do bad things you have supported someone who will do harm to future generations.

Withdrawing my support from parties I have previously supported and voted for on occassion is an ACTIVE choice

GracesGranMK3 Wed 27-Nov-19 09:11:09

This is a question about voting or not voting notanan not about other GNetters. You have said you won't vote so you really have nothing more to say on the subject and, in my book, you certainly don't have the right to make personal attacks on those who will.

I am now putting you on 'ignore' as you seem to have nothing positive to say.

MaizieD Wed 27-Nov-19 09:12:24

Who's shouting 'Bias' on this thread, notanan?

EllanVannin Wed 27-Nov-19 09:13:23

I no longer recognise this once beautiful country as all it's become is a cesspit of greed and dog-eat-dog.
Therefore if I bother voting at all, I'll have it voided in some way by writing NONE on it.

I hate this " every man for himself " attitude in politics as none of them are for the public. I've never known/seen such poverty in this country and nobody seems to care, particularly in this the NW of the country. It's criminal !!

JenniferEccles Wed 27-Nov-19 09:23:10

We must do all we can to keep Corbyn out of no. 10!

I honestly don’t think he would get in but I am worried that enough people might just fall for his idiotic promises.

Whether you voted Leave or Remain I am sure everyone now realises that the best thing for this country now is to Get Brexit Done so that politicians can concentrate on other important issues.

Urmstongran Wed 27-Nov-19 09:24:20

My vote will be for Boris. Easy for me as the Tory party is the only one promising to deliver the result of the 2016 referendum.

notanan2 Wed 27-Nov-19 09:32:20

I honestly don’t think he would get in but I am worried that enough people might just fall for his idiotic promises

He might! But how to vote against him without voting for someone just as bad?

MaizieD Wed 27-Nov-19 09:38:58

What 'idiotic promises' would those be, JenniferE? Do explain...

Grany Wed 27-Nov-19 09:41:22

Vee O'Brien #VoteLabour2019
@VeeBrien

26 Nov
Replying to
@billybragg

@earthygirl011
and
@JideHowardChase

That's people like me Billy. I'm 69 and I joined the Labour Party because of Jeremy Corbyn. It's been a very, very long time since I had faith in a politician prior to that. Always believed they were all the same. Jeremy has not disappointed.

janipat Wed 27-Nov-19 09:58:11

I will vote, and yes in my constituency I'm voting really for the "least bad", but unfortunately there isn't a single party or candidate that would acknowledge that any vote for them was less than hearty endorsement! You know, how every vote was a total endorsement of every single line of their manifesto. I'm not saying they shouldn't enact their manifestos, just don't give the version that every vote was a vote for every single line. A little humility would go an awfully long way to taking some of the nasty edges off party politics.

Urmstongran Wed 27-Nov-19 09:58:12

And news flash:
Michel Barnier says if Boris gets in he will ensure a speedy deal with the EU.

Good.

He knows Boris means business. All the Tory MP’s are signed up to Brexit. No more Grieve, Hammond, Rory Stewarts as Tory MP’s. Barnier knows with a majority government ‘No Deal’ can be left on the table this time around and the EU (like us) won’t want to trigger that - so they will negotiate seriously - no more half hearted attempts whilst they hope for another ‘Surrender Act’ to thwart it.

#get.brexit.done

GoldenAge Wed 27-Nov-19 09:58:15

The Pankhurst girls lived at the back of my grandmother’s house and went to Manchester High School where my daughter went - for me their vision and sheer dogged determination and that of all the others who fought for women’s suffrage far outweighs the fact that just at this moment in time we have poor politicians - I guess that some of us on this site might remember rationing, we might have known people who bore a number crudely tattooed on their arms - right wing politics is responsible for the holocaust and we’re on our way down that path again - I might not feel that the leader of the left is someone I instantly warm to but I do know that the leader of the right is a liar and has so much privilege that the party behind him will have no qualms about resurrecting the politics of the 30s in Europe - it’s a disgrace not to use a vote when it’s been fought so hard for.