Gransnet forums

News & politics

Do the Tories care?

(130 Posts)
grannypauline Sun 08-Dec-19 10:16:16

Do they care about anyone other than their rich friends?
Let's hear it in their own words:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssjiTVmem1g&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3-ugT4oQy6Ohm1hfUPJEeYq_wdW24ypafbfMRwVb2Rgr3_EED6EsAJdf0
OR Dominic Cummings:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgVgLAKt2rM
OR:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEHfTS25pzo

jura2 Fri 20-Dec-19 14:27:25

If people vote for a party that intends to make the poor poorer, and widen the inequalities even more- why do they get all uppitiy if they are called 'uncaring'?

Urmstongran Fri 20-Dec-19 14:48:37

MPs have voted on the government’s withdrawal agreement bill at the second reading. With Boris Johnson’s 80-strong majority, the bill was passed by a comfortable margin, with 358 voting for and 234 against.

124 votes majority, not 80.

More than just the Tories voted for it then!

Labaik Fri 20-Dec-19 14:54:03

This is a different withdrawal agreement to the previous one I understand. Johnson can make whatever he wants of it now he has such a huge majority. Lets see if caring about anyone comes into it now [I very much doubt it....].

Jane10 Fri 20-Dec-19 14:57:03

FFS the main aim of the Conservative party is not to make the poor poorer. This cartoonist view of modern politics misses so much and by such a wide mark.

AllTheLs Fri 20-Dec-19 14:57:22

Even now, I'm still feeling huge relief that it's all finally going through...

quizqueen Fri 20-Dec-19 15:00:35

I think most people are going to need continually reminding that the Tories won by a huge majority because the Labour Party was so incompetent!!

Greta Fri 20-Dec-19 15:12:01

I'm not sure of that, quizqueen. I agree with you that the Tories won by a huge majority for the very reason you cite. However, to me it does seem rather an unsatisfactory reason to vote for the Tories, i.e. the lesser of the two evil.

jura2 Fri 20-Dec-19 15:14:50

Aim? perhaps not - although ...

The proof will be in the pudding, and can be predicted with fair accuracy- and it is the poorer and most vulnerable who will pay. That was very clear to all.

LadyGracie Fri 20-Dec-19 15:36:52

I too am relieved!

Labaik Fri 20-Dec-19 15:39:03

I don't think this Conservative will be like any previous Conservative governments. Johnsons ignorant, boorish behaviour in parliament already sets the tone for what is to come.

Grany Fri 20-Dec-19 21:14:33

@WarmongerHodges

Look at the state of that Tory front bench. You could find more trustworthy people to run our country in Wormwood Scrubs.
twitter.com/WarmongerHodges/status/1208126585024524289?s=20

@nooouch

A GP has resigned because he can no longer be part of the DWP Tory system for inflicting fear and cruelty on sick people .
The Tory election win was a kick in the teeth to all medical staff .

@doctor_oxford

No spare beds.

A full A&E.

35 patients on trolleys in corridors.

Unsafe, unfair & wretched for patients & staff alike.

An indictment of this government’s NHS track record.

Just how many lives are you willing to risk,
@BorisJohnson
?
twitter.com/doctor_oxford/status/1208090051135057922?s=20

Labaik Fri 20-Dec-19 22:02:41

I really thought Rees Mogg would be back on the back benches after his Grenfell comments sad….

Grany Fri 20-Dec-19 22:18:28

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

GagaJo Sat 21-Dec-19 01:03:40

As if they would be anything else. True to type. The 'Just Us' party of the haves, not caring about the 'Have Nots'.

newnanny Sat 21-Dec-19 01:18:00

Well said M0nica. I see this is another Conservative bashing post. It is time some of the posters on here took on board that the majority of those who voted chose Boris and many traditional Labour voters could not bring themselves to vote for JC.

M0nica Sat 21-Dec-19 07:39:42

The constant stream of hatred expressed in political threads on Gransnet, almost entirely from the left, aimed at those who disagree with them, does them no favours at all, and is more likely to push those who read them to avoid voting for the party they support. Insulting voters who chose, for good reason or bad, not vote for them will not win them votes.

Labour lost the last election because voters chose not to vote for them in droves. The majority made this decision after considering the issues and the alternatives and that so many core Labour voters changed how they voted, should tell them that they got something very badly wrong.

After the worst election result in over 80 years to go around saying 'Our policies were popular, and everyone loved our leader' just makes you look ridiculous. No they weren't and they didn't.

This country is desperately in need of a strong opposition party capable of opposing the governing party. The Labour party are currently incapable of that. Abusing the winning party and saying things like If people vote for a party that intends to make the poor poorer, and widen the inequalities even more- why do they get all uppitiy if they are called 'uncaring'? Is an insult to those who voted for the Conservatives because they believe that they are more likely to deliver social justice than Labour.

And who can blame them? It is very difficult to believe that a party that continually insults ordinary people as the Labour party has done both before and after the election and continues to spew out so much hate mail on sites like this could be trusted to deliver social justice to anyone.

Shelmiss Sat 21-Dec-19 07:49:13

Grany Twitter is the worst place to use quotes from. The majority of twitter users appear to be Labour supporters and as such it bears no resemblance to the majority of real life views.

Hear hear MOnica

Oopsminty Sat 21-Dec-19 07:54:18

Twitter is a pointless echo chamber

Anyone posting Tweets needs to understand it does not represent the real world

travelsafar Sat 21-Dec-19 08:09:16

Time will tell. I was so unsure who to vote for i didnt vote for anyone i ruined my vote sadand i fear there may have been many who felt like i did. All the things JC promised where fantastic but where was the money going to come from??? I have always voted conservative in the past but i worry about Boris being in charge. He is so far removed from ordinary normal folk with his bombastic un PC ways, his untruths and his desire to be the one who led us out of the EU.

Hetty58 Sat 21-Dec-19 08:22:09

I'd love to hear what does represent the real world! Obviously not the tabloids or BBC - so which unbiased information sources would you recommend? Anyone?

Oopsminty Sat 21-Dec-19 08:27:12

I think the proof will be in the pudding Hetty

A Christmas one at that

Shelmiss Sat 21-Dec-19 08:36:05

Surely the real world is the one represented by the result on election night? To read comments on twitter, for example, everyone hated the tories yet they won with a massive majority. If that doesn’t represent the “real” world what does?

M0nica Sat 21-Dec-19 08:52:49

As was commented on the radio last night, those posting on twitter are are disproportionately, young, urban and well educated.

There is another large demographic which is over 60, well educated, if not formally, have much life experience and also have anything up to 40 years of life ahead of them and are massively under represented on twitter.

Better look at GN for this group.

And Shelmiss is right, the election result is the real world.

Iam64 Sat 21-Dec-19 08:56:38

MOnica said it well.
Shelmiss also, yes the real world is the one represented by the result on election night.
I expect to be accused of not being a proper Labour voter because I remain furious with Corbyn and his team for letting us all down so very badly
Those canvassing in our area for our excellent Labour Mp all reported, the first response was "I can't vote for that man Corbyn", the second was the LP's Brexit plan. Next, would be the way the party announced yet another expensive plan every day, without any pre discussion.
I heard Margaret Becket interviewed on the policy promises, she said ok, daily announcements dominated the headlines as had been intended. It then fell apart, because no one had been briefed or involved in the new announcements.
Hopeless.
Apologies for the rant. I fear many Conservatives have no idea about what it's like to live in poverty. I don't believe their promises on the NHS and public services, the problems there are the result of their policies over the last 9 years. I do not believe that many people who voted tory are heartless and stupid. I've heard so many people say it was the least worst option, as Corbyn as PM was something they just couldn't vote for.

Grany Sat 21-Dec-19 09:25:32

Why did thousands more young people register to vote then if not for Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour Party excellent polices? Why thousands turned out at the very many rallies up and down the country to hear Corbyn speak. Why were people turned away from voting as not registered when they registered in time. Why were Tories in charge of voting Replying to
@Macerty
If this is true there is serious implications right across the UK and the organisation in UK responsible it seems is a private firm owned by tory MP and run by them. Why isn't electoral offices responsible for voting system in their areas. ????? Questions?

@PhilipJohnAdam1
Replying to
@longy0601

Indeed. Postal votes were up from 18% in 2017 to 37% in 2019, suspicious in itself, and given the Tory connection to the counting process, even more so. This smells fishier than a mackerrel warehouse. And
@bbclaurak
gets her info from where?

And why were the 2019 reporting MSM more hostile to Jeremy Orbyn more than double what is was in 2017 election campaign as research has found? We do not have a free unbiased press or BBC All that needs taking into account.

And Johnson has broken several of his promises already. See what the public think when if Brexit deal or no deal is done.