Gransnet forums

News & politics

Diane Abbott quits the shadow cabinet.

(334 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 23-Feb-20 23:10:50

She’s stepping down, no matter who is selected as the next leader of the Labour Party.

I think it’s a vote catcher quite honestly.

Callistemon Mon 24-Feb-20 10:08:11

No, not at all Grandad

That is just what I was saying, different times,as posters were discussing Diane's son's education.

She's nearly my age and did extremely well and gained a place at Cambridge, I think.

Anniebach Mon 24-Feb-20 10:09:38

Big difference between the 1950’s and the 1990’s

She chose private education for her son in 2002.

Grandad1943 Mon 24-Feb-20 10:11:51

Callistemon, in case you have doubts in regard to the truth of my post @09:45 today, the black girl I sat next to in primary and junior school was either the daughter of granddaughter of this famous Bristol boxer. If you wish to understand the Prejudice of that those times just read this link:-

www.revolvy.com/page/Dixie-Brown

Callistemon Mon 24-Feb-20 10:11:54

shock I've just googled to check his age
Perhaps she has quit to give him more support.
I didn't know that.

suziewoozie Mon 24-Feb-20 10:13:55

I agree she shouldn’t have educated him privately but why keep beating her with that stick?

suziewoozie Mon 24-Feb-20 10:14:51

Call I’ll PM you.

Luckygirl Mon 24-Feb-20 10:16:54

I do not think she was ever up to the job. Just because someone is highly intelligent and well-educated does not mean they are suited to being a shadow minister.

I am glad that she is going to step down before she was ignominiously pushed by the next Labour leader. I wish her well and hope that she can use her talents within her constituency; and that her health improves.

Grandad1943 Mon 24-Feb-20 10:17:56

Callistemon, Diane Abbotts approach to her sons education may well have been based on her own experiences of prejudice in Britain from earlier times.

Anyway have just heard I am being asked to go into the office for a couple of hours. So, see you later to continue this discussion.

Thought I was going to get the whole day off too. ?

Callistemon Mon 24-Feb-20 10:18:55

why keep beating her with that stick
Because one poster said that she has always stood behind her principle beliefs.

She has not.

I don't dislike her, I admire what she has achieved, she's a clever woman but she does come out with some priceless comments sometimes.

trisher Mon 24-Feb-20 10:27:21

I'm sorry she feels the need to step down and hope that her health improves with less stress.
As far as the racism on council estates goes we moved when I was 7. When my mum went back to our old house to check for post she was shouted at by the neighbours for "Letting your house go to one of them". Yes a black family! (Incidently a family which was rehoused because they had lost a child). Diane Abbott grew up in those times. Her son grew up in London when some schools were sink schools. No doubt her experiences influenced her decisions for him.
Those who dislike her might like to at least acknowledge her acheivements. First black woman to become an MP. From a working class background she has carved her own path and career. She is someone we should be proud of.

Anniebach Mon 24-Feb-20 10:42:24

She had been the MP in Hackney for 15 years before she chose
not to send her son to a school in her constituency.

She now supports taking away from parents the rights she had
in choosing private education.

suziewoozie Mon 24-Feb-20 10:45:01

Oh just leave off

Anniebach Mon 24-Feb-20 10:46:05

No

suziewoozie Mon 24-Feb-20 10:47:10

People like Blair just played the system to get his sons into a highly selective state school

suziewoozie Mon 24-Feb-20 10:48:23

Meanwhile, back with the actual Home Secretary....

Anniebach Mon 24-Feb-20 10:52:49

A Roman Catholic State School , his children were brought up
Roman Catholics

JenniferEccles Mon 24-Feb-20 10:54:28

It’s worth remembering that Theresa May has the more serious type 1 diabetes and she was running the country at a time when she was dashing back and forth to Brussels.

I have no idea what DI’s ‘personal problems’ might be but she was never up to the job, was she?

Sparklefizz Mon 24-Feb-20 10:57:11

I don't think she's been well for a long time, and seeing her speak very slowly the other day, the early stages of dementia came to mind..... but I don't think she was ever up to the job. Remember when she couldn't do the maths for the police that time.

Ilovecheese Mon 24-Feb-20 10:57:25

suziewoozie makes a good point, in my opinion, it might be nice to back off from the bitchy comments now that Dianne Abbott is taking a step back. She has received more abuse during her career than probably any other M.P. Why carry on now, or do some posters just enjoy being unpleasant for it's own sake.

Oldwoman70 Mon 24-Feb-20 10:57:29

Didn't she justify sending her son to a private school by saying "I'm a West Indian mum and West Indian mums will go to the wall for their children"

If she wanted to send him to a private school that was her decision however, my only problem with that was her statements regarding private schools which smacked of hypocrisy

Anniebach Mon 24-Feb-20 11:01:29

No one is posting abuse , she is an MP and is being criticised by some for her choice of private education for her son but
wanting to take this choice away from other parents .

growstuff Mon 24-Feb-20 11:12:51

Type 2 diabetes isn't reversible. It can be very well managed without the need for medication (in some cases), but it is not reversible.

It also has side effects which people don't understand, such neuropathy in hands and feet (sometimes leading to amputation), eye problems, fatigue and brain fog. Many people with T2 diabetes also have metabolic syndrome and have to take a cocktail of medications, which can cause side effects.

I could happily punch on the nose people who think T2 is a mild form of diabetes and is reversible.

PS. I have no idea what symptoms Abbott has - just saying!

growstuff Mon 24-Feb-20 11:15:43

Hah! JenniferEccles Another one who doesn't understand Type 2 diabetes. hmm

growstuff Mon 24-Feb-20 11:17:54

Anniebach There are loads of Catholic secondary schools in London, but the Blairs chose London Oratory, which really isn't a run-of-the-mill state school. It has backdoor selection policies and, if it were to declare independence, parents would still pay thousands of pounds to send their children there.

growstuff Mon 24-Feb-20 11:19:01

Unfortunately, it would appear so ilovecheese.