Gransnet forums

News & politics

Oh dear Harry and Meghan

(1001 Posts)
MawB Wed 11-Mar-20 08:29:20

In this morning’s DT
THE Duke of Sussex has been duped into speaking about his decision to quit the Royal Family by hoaxers pretending to be Greta Thunberg, it was claimed last night.
The Duke was pranked by Russian jokers who convinced him he was speaking to the teenage climate activist and her father, according to The Sun. He alluded to tensions between his wife and himself, and the rest of the Royal family and also criticised Donald Trump, who he said “has blood on his hands.
The two phone calls were reportedly made to the Duke at his rented home on Vancouver Island, Canada, on New Year’s Eve and January 22, by Vladimir Kuznetsov and Alexey Stolyarov, known as Vovan and Lexus
Do you all remember how “Sheik gate” put an end to Sophie Wessex’s career plans? I fear that without the protection of a Royal Press Officer Harry risks being a bit of “an innocent abroad “

Jabberwok Thu 02-Apr-20 18:19:44

Prince Michael of Kent renounced his claim to the throne when he married Princess Michael as she is a Roman Catholic. Prince Harry could have done the same.The run up to the wedding was strange, but, they appeared to be such a devoted couple and everyone was so pleased to see Harry clearly extremely happy and settled that the preacher(!!} the Hollywood flowers, even the pure white dress were at the time not an issue. They were popular, glamorous, attractive, a great asset to the RF and the country, particularly the Commonwealth, which we all thought was going to be their special interest, and most of us wished them well. Tbh its all very sad.

Lucca Thu 02-Apr-20 18:29:55

“Even the pure white dress was not an issue”

So why is it now according to your previous comment :

“Incidentally what was all that white wedding dress about?!!!”

If the lady has made errors of judgement behaved in a way you don’t approve of, fine but why pick on absolutely everything to criticise?

Anniebach Thu 02-Apr-20 18:34:46

I was happy for Harry , the clinging irritated me, but the solo
walk down the aisle caused me to think , oh oh and I did say so
at the time on this forum, not later when they decided to leave
the country and walk away.

maddyone Thu 02-Apr-20 18:49:07

Lucca I don’t know whether H+M have a glass of wine and a few cashews at six o clock or not, but it sounds yummy, maybe I’ll join you.

maddyone Thu 02-Apr-20 18:51:22

I found the preacher toe curling aswell, and I was amused by various royals trying to not laugh. Lord knows what the American celebrities made of it.

trisher Thu 02-Apr-20 18:54:31

Stepford Wife is a widely used term. It originated with the film but generally defined as The definition of stepford is a term used to refer to someone that is so obedient and perfect that he or she seems almost like a robot. A woman who is extremely subservient to her husband and who meets his every need in an overly-perfect manner is an example of a Stepford wife
Just like the Royals.

Artdecogran Thu 02-Apr-20 18:56:54

Are they subservient to the husband or to the dictates of the RF, which is a different matter.

GagaJo Thu 02-Apr-20 18:57:15

Janipat, the real Christians I know go to church to worship their lord. ‘Gather together in my name.’

There is a Christian in the dormitory I live in at school. She believes she has a relationship with her god and prays daily.

That is a Christian.

quizqueen Thu 02-Apr-20 18:59:07

....and along came the pandemic to take the attention off their launch into the American celebrity world. How incovenient for Meghan!!

Calendargirl Thu 02-Apr-20 18:59:22

The preacher at the wedding- making the most of his fifteen minutes of fame, or in his case, the thirty or so cringe making minutes.

Anniebach Thu 02-Apr-20 19:01:05

The Queen Mother, The Queen, Margaret, Anne, Fergie, Sophie, Kate, meets their husbands every need, extremely
subservient, I think not .

maddyone Thu 02-Apr-20 19:14:53

Ha ha, I’m trying my very best to imagine Anne and Camilla as Stepford Wives grin

Greymar Thu 02-Apr-20 19:19:33

Inward memory cringe. The faces of the Royals, used to such a measured and predicatable, formal style. It could have been a great chance but he was way wide of the mark. Actually, didn't like the choir either, more toe curling.

Anniebach Thu 02-Apr-20 19:29:24

Yes maddy and Fergie’s overly perfect manner ? , did Stepford wives say ‘naff off ‘ ?

Summerlove Thu 02-Apr-20 19:47:27

What’s a Hollywood flower?

maddyone Thu 02-Apr-20 19:57:00

Yep, Fergie was a perfect Stepford wife grin
Not even Diana could be called a Stepford wife. Certainly not the Queen. In fact I’m struggling to think of any royal who is a Stepford wife.

maddyone Thu 02-Apr-20 19:57:46

Can’t help you with that Summerlove I haven’t the first idea.

maddyone Thu 02-Apr-20 19:59:01

Annie but Anne did grin

Anniebach Thu 02-Apr-20 20:10:06

Yes maddy and Diana was fond of f**k, , the females in the
royal family are tough ladies.

Kate and William work as a team and do their own thing.
Seems mutual respect isn’t recognised by some

Calendargirl Thu 02-Apr-20 20:15:51

Oh Greymar I liked the choir, but probably because they sang ‘Stand By Me’.

Quite appropriate as things have panned out.

trisher Thu 02-Apr-20 20:16:01

Diana didn't last, Fergie didn't last. Meghan has left with Harry. Any more examples of ones that didn't fit?
Only women who marry in can be considered so the Queen isn't appropriate. Find me one woman.who married into the family and stayed who still has any sort of a career.

maddyone Thu 02-Apr-20 20:16:32

Indeed Annie

maddyone Thu 02-Apr-20 20:22:37

I didn’t know we were discussing them having a career, I thought we were talking about the Stepford wife image. Are we saying all women who choose to not have a career are Stepford wives? That’s very disrespectful towards women who choose to stay at home. I stayed at home for ten years when I was caring for my young children, I didn’t consider myself a Stepford wife.
The women who married into the royal family are marrying into a firm. They join the firm and work for the firm. In return they have a very nice life with certain disadvantages. All jobs give a return (pay) for certain disadvantages (going out to work every day.)

Anniebach Thu 02-Apr-20 20:24:56

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

trisher Thu 02-Apr-20 20:26:54

Thought you couldn't find one. There may be women who stay at home by choice but in the RF it's just assumed and calling it a "Firm' doesn't make it one. It's a hereditary dynasty. They just hope calling themselves that will make them more acceptable

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion