Gransnet forums

News & politics

Government is lying about lack of availability of CV testing chemicals

(167 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 01-Apr-20 13:33:45

I'm not surprised. But hugely disappointed. I understand politics and that a Tory decision isn't the same as a Labour decision, but at the moment, SURELY the only thing any government should be doing is whatever helps the country and its people the most?

www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/uk-government-forced-to-lie-its-way-out-of-trouble/01/04/?fbclid=IwAR2gVbt6bvLFNw31W7Pz8aV6GYYjzjOEjwXT5Qrtq0YbaixDBZkIXiblgqk#.XoRhTd9Xvj0.facebook

Eglantine21 Thu 02-Apr-20 17:23:14

Oh Im not exclusive. I despise anybody that uses other people’s misery to further their own agenda.

Whatever that agenda is.

notanan2 Thu 02-Apr-20 18:15:52

Up to 1 in 3 CV tests in NY may have given false negatives.

Other european countries are sending their tests abroad to be analysed due to lack of reagent.

We are not actually the ones lagging behind.

Nobody is getting it exactly right in the balance between SWIFT testing, and ACCURATE testing.

Maxval Thu 02-Apr-20 19:22:08

At the grand age of eighty-two and often informed, by a progressive technologically savvy and educated breed, I need to get with it and sign up. Do you mind if I ask how it is that the country arrived at this difficult situation so seemingly unprepared? In my ancient world, the Civil Defence Corp with current practise the frontline insurance, and essential manufactured equipment made, acquired and stored in preparation. Who took the metaphorical eye off the ball – or more importantly was it ever on? What price the busy “official talker” against that of practical doer already signed up with a shovel to put the country back together.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 02-Apr-20 19:34:54

On Tuesday Gove excitedly announced that the “first of thousand of ventilators about to roll off the production line and be available by this weekend”

How many available this weekend?

Callistemon Thu 02-Apr-20 19:35:30

Do you mind if I ask how it is that the country arrived at this difficult situation so seemingly unprepared? In my ancient world, the Civil Defence Corp with current practise the frontline insurance, and essential manufactured equipment made, acquired and stored in preparation. Who took the metaphorical eye off the ball – or more importantly was it ever on?
In our times, this has been unprecedented in severity and in scale, as well as in timescale.
If stored indefinitely in the event of such occurrences, material, chemicals etc may be rendered unfit for purpose.

One could says that the SARS outbreak was a warning but this barely touched the UK, with only about 4 cases.

Viruses are always one step ahead of humans as they can emerge and mutate rapidly. What may start as a zoonotic disease, limited in scope, could change suddenly to human to human transmission.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 02-Apr-20 19:37:42

So pleased to hear the government recognise the contribution migrants make to our NHS.

Only 4 months ago they were mostly classed as unskilled labour, or prohibited because they didn't warm enough

Whitewavemark2 Thu 02-Apr-20 19:39:17

One thing I’m a bit puzzled about? Why is Hancock out of isolation only 6/days after his covid diagnosis?

Callistemon Thu 02-Apr-20 19:49:44

Maxval perhaps we could resurrect all those WW2 gas masks, they may come in handy at the present time.

Oh dear, DH just checked his and it has perished.

M0nica Thu 02-Apr-20 21:04:36

The British government, like governments everywhere are struggling to deal with a situation they have never dealt with before, with a virus previously unknown to medical science.

Like all governments they are at times getting it badly wrong, but anyone who thinks having a different party in government, would have made any difference is living in cloud cuckoo land. A different government might not make the same mistakes, but make mistakes and on big issues they assuredly would.

tidyskatemum Thu 02-Apr-20 21:12:48

To me it’s another demonstration of how shambolic NHS management is. Eg to turn staff away from a testing site because although they are on a list it’s not the “right” list is just bonkers when the testers are otherwise sitting around doing nothing. It’s an insult to the staff working their guts out to keep people safe.

GagaJo Thu 02-Apr-20 21:20:35

M0nica, I don't think this is about party politics (I can't speak for others of course). I think it's about wanting WHOEVER is in power to step up and govern and lead well.

They had so long to prepare for this. They saw it happen overseas. Yet they didn't. Did they genuinely think it wouldn't hit us that hard?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 02-Apr-20 21:40:55

When dealing with such a threat it can never be about party politics.

Criticism of decisions should not be confused with party politics.

Hetty58 Thu 02-Apr-20 21:55:31

GagaJo, of course they saw it coming. They just couldn't do very much in the time they had to prepare.

Boris's often repeated 'will take the right steps at the right time' (as if to convince himself) sounds like an absurd, hollow joke.

Sparkling Thu 02-Apr-20 22:20:11

So all the world experts doing their best can't put an end to this Virus, but there seems there is a lot if armchair critics who have the answers. it's in everyone's interest to find the solution, the scientists and medical profession are doing their best, you cannot expect miracles. We will follow Spain and Italy

mcem Thu 02-Apr-20 22:29:12

Was pleased to see on tonight's news that our local hospital is leading the way in testing those staff members in isolation and by establishing that they test negative have got significant numbers back on the wards.

GagaJo Fri 03-Apr-20 00:04:04

Actually, there's ARE places that have managed to deal with it well. There are also places that haven't.

So the common sense would be to follow the example of those that are coping.

growstuff Fri 03-Apr-20 08:10:09

Very pleased that Matt Hancock has found a Magic Chemical Tree after Rishi Sunak found a Magic Money Tree. We live in strange times!

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Apr-20 08:23:05

I was thrilled that at long last the Tories have recognised the extreme burden they have been placing on the NHS throughout their enforced period of austerity and written off the untold billions of debt that was such a massive milestone around the NHS neck.

Now the really sensible thing to do will be to fund it appropriately with a dedicated tax which reflects the standard of health care we would all expect.

Hancock whilst being his usual Tiggerish persona at the start of the press conference actually appeared to lay his job on the line, by promising that 100000 tests would be carried out by the end of the month. We don’t know what sort they will be, but he is prepared to do or die which I suppose is a step forward.

SirChenjin Fri 03-Apr-20 08:25:26

Don’t hold your breath - I seem to remember something about Boris and a ditch...

growstuff Fri 03-Apr-20 08:55:05

I'm not holding my breath … 100,000 tests will be hard in addition to 40 new hospitals and 50,000 new nurses!

It's still better than slimey denials and lies. It's a bit like watching a long tennis match, pinging and ponging between advantage points.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Apr-20 09:00:26

Still not clear how he escaped isolation though?

SirChenjin Fri 03-Apr-20 09:03:57

Yes it seems like a very short isolation confused

growstuff Fri 03-Apr-20 11:20:41

Maybe he's found the Magic Isolation Tree too! wink

notanan2 Fri 03-Apr-20 11:32:05

Is he mixing with everyone or just other cabinite members who also tested +ive?

Pikachu Fri 03-Apr-20 11:33:48

Trouble is it’s only a fortnight since Hancock was saying he’d been in touch with supermarkets about keeping the food supply going, and when reporters asked the supermarkets they said no one had been in touch with them.