Gransnet forums

News & politics

Petition asking for Public Inquiry into Grooming Gangs

(108 Posts)
George4444 Fri 14-Aug-20 09:58:02

Can you take a moment to sign this petition asking the Government to have a Public Inquiry into Grooming Gangs.

Here is the link to the petition: petition.parliament.uk/petitions/327566

Click on the link and it will bring you to the parliamentary website for petitions. Click to sign and then click the email they send you to confirm your support.

Feel free to share the link.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help with this nationally important issue.

Warm Regards

George

GillT57 Mon 17-Aug-20 13:42:34

Would you believe that Keir Starmer didn't take this child abuse seriously ? I can never forgive that man for going against Nazir Afzal during the Rochdale gang grooming

Actualy, this is not true and has been disproved time and time again. The interview on Channel 5 was edited to misrepresent what Starmer said and was then circulated by 3 Tory Mps including Nadine Dorries. They were reprimanded by the Tory party and withdrew their tweets where they shared the video.

But this footage, which dated from Starmer’s time as director of public prosecutions in 2013, had been doctored by far-right activists. Starmer had originally been talking about how not to approach victims of grooming gangs

A quick Google will prove evidence. This does not of course mean that I am not disgusted by what happened to the girls, how let down they were, but the case is not helped by spreading inaccuracies.

Iam64 Mon 17-Aug-20 13:56:22

GillT57 - thanks for your post that confirms Keir Starmer did take the child grooming and sexual abuse cases seriously.
I wrote a very similar post after reading EllanVannin's comment, but now I've looked back, it obviously didn't post for some reason.

B9exchange Mon 17-Aug-20 14:02:29

If 10% of Gransnet signed the petition we would push through the 10,000 point easily.

Really, are there really well over 100,000 users of GransNet? I had no idea?

George4444 Tue 18-Aug-20 17:03:03

There are already 6600 signatures. So 10% of the membership signing from Gransnet would definitely help get us to the 10,000 mark. Plus I am promoting this petition as much as possible to other organisations and spots on the internet.

At 10,000 the Government will provide a written reply.

Gajahgran Tue 18-Aug-20 20:18:35

Signed

Blinko Tue 18-Aug-20 20:32:33

Signed. I didn't realise it was still going on. There can be no excuse for this not being investigated, if so.

nanaK54 Tue 18-Aug-20 21:18:31

Signed

MerylStreep Tue 18-Aug-20 21:52:09

A sad reflection of this site that a thread on a cold cup of tea generates 11 pages in 4 days and this one is only on its 3rd in the same time.
I suppose it's just the truth that not enough women care.?

Chewbacca Tue 18-Aug-20 21:58:50

Well, to be fair MeryStreep that other thread only got to 4 pages because someone kept quoting posts and therefore artificially elongating the thread! At least all of the posts on here are supportive and positive of the aims of the petition.

George4444 Fri 21-Aug-20 10:00:35

Hi Quick update: The petition asking for a Public Inquiry into Grooming Gangs has reached 6779 signatures.

Its making steady progress with about 50 new signatures per day being received. The number of signatures per day is increasing. Only two weeks ago the average was 20 signatures per day.

The most important target is 10,000 at that point the government will be asked to make a written reply.

I am aware that there was a similar petition in 2018. I believe now is the right time for the government to trigger a Public Inquiry. So this petition is vital to show that there is genuine public concern on this issue.

Sign and share the link. petition.parliament.uk/petitinos/327566

Thanks

George

George4444 Wed 26-Aug-20 13:09:27

The petition to get a public inquiry regarding grooming gangs has now reached 7,000+ signatures.

The petition is backed by the Maggie Oliver Foundation which is a charity that supports survivors
Petition written by a business person with no association with any political party or group.
Once we reach 10,000 signatures the government will reply in writing with their response

This is about protecting children, preventing harm and supporting survivors.

The link for the petition is petition.parliament.uk/petitions/327566

Washerwoman Wed 26-Aug-20 13:23:15

Signed.Very close to home as one of the largest grooming gangs from my area.Thank you for this thread.

25Avalon Wed 26-Aug-20 13:36:38

Last I read Tommy Robinson had cleared off to Spain because he and his family had received hate mail. He should not be the reason for not signing this petition for an impartial public enquire. Sometimes these petitions do have effect.

Once there were thousands of starfish washed up on the beach and a man throwing them back into the sea. “ why are you bothering? There are so many, it won’t make any difference”
“ It does to this one” the man replied as he threw it in the sea.

25Avalon Wed 26-Aug-20 13:40:32

7120 now

EllanVannin Wed 26-Aug-20 13:43:15

The police were called racists when they first got involved with Rochdale and as a consequence were then fearful at being branded racists.

Many of these monsters were caught and jailed with some having their citizenships revoked-----only to be seen again on our streets !! It's utterly futile sending any petition to parliament.

As mentioned before, Nazir Afzal was up against Starmer in 2011 as Nazir opened up the case against grooming and Starmer's reply was " insufficient evidence ". FGS ! Young girls harmed by alcohol, drugs and even pregnancy by these subhumans. There are many documents under PII in this case.

I signed a petition years ago for the release of files/photo's/ documents on a suspected MOJ, after 3 court orders made to produce same, there's still no sign.

JenniferEccles Wed 26-Aug-20 14:16:55

I must admit I usually groan when yet another request to sign a petition appears but I feel very strongly about the terrible grooming in Rochdale and the subsequent lack of action by the cowardly authorities

Therefore I have gladly signed.

George4444 have you considered putting this on Mumsnet? They have a much larger membership than Gransnet, and as many mothers on there would have daughters of the age of the poor Rochdale kids, I think a lot would want to support this petition.

Galaxy Wed 26-Aug-20 14:26:24

It has been posted a number of times on MN, some of the women were asking questions about the petition but not sure if george hasn't seen those questions.

JenniferEccles Wed 26-Aug-20 14:32:31

Oh ok. I thought it probably would have but if George is new here he/she may not have thought of MN.

George4444 Wed 02-Sep-20 10:45:48

Hi,

The Petition reached an important mile stone yesterday it passed the 7,500 signature point. That means its three quarters of the way to reaching 10,000 signatures and the government providing written response.

A public inquiry is important because its completed independently free from political interference. The subject of grooming gangs is so emotive that clear action to be prevent this type of crime has been slow.

If you can sign and share the link for this important Petition. The petition body will send a link to your email address which you then click to record your signature.

Thanks to all on Gransnet who have signed the petition.

George

George4444 Mon 07-Sep-20 15:07:51

The petition asking for a national public inquiry into grooming gangs is now at 7,896 signatures. At 10,000 the government will be asked to provide a written response.

Benefits of a public inquiry:

It will raise awareness
It can compel witnesses
The findings and recommendations are published

A public inquiry will determine what happened and make recommendations to prevent harm from grooming gangs in the future.

There is good police work happening in different parts of the country but consistency of awareness and approach may be lacking. A public inquiry would help.

The petition is supported by the Maggie Oliver Foundation which is a charity set up to help survivors of grooming gangs.

George4444 Mon 14-Sep-20 09:46:05

News. The Petition asking Boris Johnston's Government for a Public Inquiry into Grooming gangs passed 8,000 signatures today. At 10,000 the petitions office in parliament will trigger a communication to the Government to give a written response.

Click on the link to read the petition petiton.parliament.uk/petitons/327566
sign and share the link

George4444 Tue 29-Sep-20 15:51:28

Petition update and first radio appearance

Petition is now at 8662

How to sign the petition asking for a public inquiry into grooming gangs click on the link petition.parliament.uk/petitions/327566

Go to the parliamentary website. Click on sign, enter your name and email address. The site will send an email which you click on to confirm your signature. Only take a minute.

Out of interest I thought I would try getting on a radio station to raise awareness of the petition. Its one of those things you keep at the back of head, its would be good but a little scary. There is always the risk of saying the wrong thing.

So Monday morning I phoned a well know London based radio station. They were chatting about pubs closing with Covid. I though now or never I will call them. I though I would talk to a receptionist first and likely be told not the topic for Monday morning. but no after hearing the presenter speak to someone else. I got straight through to the presenter.

So what do you think about pubs closing? she says. I say well they are popular and they will be around in 10 years probably 100 years time. She says ok, I ask if i can talk about grooming gangs. She asked if I was ok. I say yes, and that there is a petition asking for a public inquiry into grooming gangs.

She says no our conversation this morning has to be about pubs closing due to Covid. I say well the petition is for a important issue for the country, pubs are important but if your listeners would like to heard about the petition. Is this a crank call she asks. I'm going to have to cut you off. That was it.

NannyJan53 Tue 29-Sep-20 18:24:25

Signed! Now 8665

Nannee49 Tue 29-Sep-20 19:07:59

Signed and WhatsApped. This vile abuse of vulnerable girls can NOT be tolerated nor be able to hide behind cultural sensitivities. Pain is pain whatever direction it comes from.

George4444 Mon 05-Oct-20 13:45:57

Thanks NannyJan53 and Nannee49 for signing. I 100% agree with your comments on this issue Nannee49.

Over the weekend the petition took a jump in support and is now at 9,486

Thanks for all who have signed from gransnet

ps

How to sign the petition asking for a public inquiry into grooming gangs click on the link petition.parliament.uk/petitions/327566

Go to the parliamentary website. Click on sign, enter your name and email address. The site will send an email which you click on to confirm your signature. Only take a minute.