Gransnet forums

News & politics

A big thank you to those who voted for Brexit

(790 Posts)
Dinahmo Thu 07-Jan-21 16:03:15

I've just been reading about the additional charges that people buying goods from the UK are having to pay on purchases arriving in EU countries. So much so that many retailers are no longer selling to people in the EU. The list is long but includes M & S, John Lewis and Fortnums. I buy a variety of things from the UK, including clothing and health supplements. I am no longer able to do this. But it's not just me and other Brits living abroad, it's everybody in the EU.

So, those cheesemakers will have a hard time and I will no longer be able to buy the very good quality cheddar from my local supermarket (which the French like to, not just Brits) because it will be too expensive.

MaizieD Sat 23-Jan-21 09:11:01

More on the Cheshire cheese story. UK investment being transferred to France and UK jobs to be lost.

EU member states must be rather pleased about the investment and jobs Brexit is bringing them.

amp.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/23/cheshire-cheesemaker-says-business-left-with-250000-brexit-hole?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other&__twitter_impression=true

MaizieD Sat 23-Jan-21 09:32:03

Even more on the cheese story. Read it and weep.

Take a note of the 'amendment' of 18th Jan. EU countries are able to export animal based products to the UK with no restrictions at all. Our negotiators did a great job there, didn't they?

Also note that all the EU countries have their own specific and varied requirements for imported animal based products from 3rd countries. That looks rather like national sovereignty to me ?. You know, that thing that we apparently had to leave the EU to 'get back'.

westcountrybylines.co.uk/quadruple-cheese-brexit-w^hammy/

Dinahmo Sat 23-Jan-21 10:09:57

One reason , perhaps the only one, why the likes of Rees Mogg and the press barons were anti the EU, was the EU's plans to crack down on tax evasion.

Good news!

"The European parliament is pushing for UK overseas territories including the British Virgin Islands, Guernsey and Jersey to be added to an EU tax havens blacklist after the conclusion of the Brexit deal.

Sending a signal that tougher action on tax avoidance was required in response to the coronavirus pandemic, MEPs voted overwhelmingly in favour of adding more nations and territories to the list of non-cooperative jurisdictions.

The resolution, passed earlier this week by a vote of 587 to 50, included measures calling for the automatic inclusion on the blacklist of countries which use a 0% tax regime. Among these are the UK overseas territories, viewed by transparency campaigners as havens for tax avoidance.
EU blacklist names 17 tax havens and puts Caymans and Jersey on notice

Several jurisdictions have been taken on and off the list since it was first launched in 2017. However, those linked to EU member states have typically avoided inclusion, and the UK had lobbied to protect its overseas territories from past scrutiny."

From the Guardian

MaizieD Sat 23-Jan-21 11:24:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MaizieD Sat 23-Jan-21 11:29:13

MaizieD

Even more on the cheese story. Read it and weep.

Take a note of the 'amendment' of 18th Jan. EU countries are able to export animal based products to the UK with no restrictions at all. Our negotiators did a great job there, didn't they?

Also note that all the EU countries have their own specific and varied requirements for imported animal based products from 3rd countries. That looks rather like national sovereignty to me ?. You know, that thing that we apparently had to leave the EU to 'get back'.

westcountrybylines.co.uk/quadruple-cheese-brexit-w^hammy/

Sorry everyone, I quoted the wrong post in my last (I have asked Gnet to remove it, but heaven knows when they'll do it)

The link in my cheese post was corrupted. This is the correct one. It works, I've tested it

westcountrybylines.co.uk/quadruple-cheese-brexit-whammy/

MayBee70 Sat 23-Jan-21 18:41:53

muse. Can I ask if the seed supplier you use are having difficulty selling their seed to the EU? Or if any seed suppliers are? If so, what are the problems?

MaizieD Sat 23-Jan-21 18:59:59

Back to the seeds

These companies and others like them could go from strength to strength. What is wrong with that MaizeD?

The Italian seed company sells seeds of varieties not grown in the UK. I have even bought some of their seeds myself, up here in the benighted North. I don't consider t to be a good thing that our choices will now be narrowed.

Nor do I consider it a good thing that UK seed companies are obliged to change their practices. I would assume that for those who imported seeds there were good commercial reasons for their choice. And good commercial reasons for them not producing the seeds themselves. So perhaps they might not view the restrictions to their current way of working to be much of a benefit.

growstuff Sat 23-Jan-21 20:30:20

It's bananas! (Well, it's not I'm afraid.) Ghana has a deal with the EU to export bananas. The UK doesn't, so bananas from Ghana imported to the UK have to be imported on WTO terms, which means that the trade isn't sustainable. So far tariffs of £100,000 have been paid and the growers and import businesses are trading at a loss.

MaizieD Sat 23-Jan-21 21:09:55

Well, growstuff, if they are those straight EU bananas we don't want them, do we?

Didn't we Brexit so as to have curvy bananas again? hmm

vegansrock Sat 23-Jan-21 21:39:03

The advice to businesses from the Government’s own trade department to businesses struggling with all the red tape is now to set up an office in an EU country. One British haulage firm is doing this, getting rid of some U.K. staff and hiring staff in the Netherlands, This will no doubt be the answer for many businesses.

muse Sat 23-Jan-21 22:23:00

MayBee70
There is nothing on their websites to say there is. I do not intend to contact all seed companies. There are 84 pages of companies listed on the List of seed companies licensed for seed industry activities in England and Wales (10 on each page). A large % appear to be seed sellers.
It will be interesting to hear from gardeners if they have problems this year in getting their seeds. I belong to two gardening groups. I'll ask for you.

MaizeD - "The Italian seed company sells seeds of varieties not grown in the UK". Really! Why sell a seed to UK that won't grow in UK?
Looking through their seeds, I bought borlotti bean seeds two years ago. I grew them and collected the seeds to grow the following year.
You didn't answer my question but in reply to your last paragraph then I am all for UK 'grown' seed companies to take the reigns in suppling gardeners with 'trusty' seeds.
I'm sure there are lots of trusty companies, but I've bought imported seeds before but stopped doing so years ago after so many failures.

PennyHalfpenny Sat 23-Jan-21 22:33:11

There’s so much to celebrate in the Festival of Brexit. Not.

nanna8 Sat 23-Jan-21 22:38:10

Ah well, you’re stuck with it so probably best to move on and get someone better than Boris in charge to do some negotiating. Actually there is a ring to that, why not use it ?
Better than Boris

MaizieD Sat 23-Jan-21 23:07:51

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

growstuff Sat 23-Jan-21 23:46:36

vegansrock

The advice to businesses from the Government’s own trade department to businesses struggling with all the red tape is now to set up an office in an EU country. One British haulage firm is doing this, getting rid of some U.K. staff and hiring staff in the Netherlands, This will no doubt be the answer for many businesses.

No! No! No! grin That can't be right! One of the selling points of Brexit was supposed to be about increasing the number of British jobs and reversing globalisation. Did somebody forget to tell the Department for Trade?

Summerlove Sun 24-Jan-21 03:45:57

Maybe it’s a “you can’t quit! You’re fired! Situation?

vegansrock Sun 24-Jan-21 07:12:22

The Brexit festival will be great. There will be a stand selling rotten fish, we can wave our blue passports amidst a confetti made of customs declarations and red tape. Spitfires can airdrop food parcels to those who’ve lost their jobs.

Jaberwok Sun 24-Jan-21 07:39:35

You people can mock all you like in your usual pathetic way, but mocking spitfires? you should have a think about that and be ashamed.

Lucca Sun 24-Jan-21 07:45:46

Who is mocking spitfires ? That’s not what vegansrock meant !

Lucca Sun 24-Jan-21 07:47:00

Is it ok to address posters as “you people” and call them “pathetic’ ? Just wondered.

Jaberwok Sun 24-Jan-21 10:23:42

Oh you poor sensitive soul! People have been called a lot lot worse than that on these threads I can assure you! as for Spitfires, if you can't understand the insensitivity of using that analogy, then I can't tell you, just think about what they and their very young extremely brave young pilots actually did (no not a jolly jape) and it might give you an idea?!!

Lucca Sun 24-Jan-21 10:29:56

My uncle flew spitfires as age 19.
There was no insult to spitfire pilots, poster could just as well have said aeroplanes. As I read it poster was pointing out that a lot of Brexit dreams seem to be harking bark to “past glories” which rightly or wrongly cannot be re-created in today’s world.

Lucca Sun 24-Jan-21 10:30:29

At, not as,

NotSpaghetti Sun 24-Jan-21 10:32:07

The worst of it is the government advice to set up an office in an EU country. Someone mentioned this earlier - I heard it the other day and can't think of anything more damning.

MaizieD Sun 24-Jan-21 12:36:07

The ironic thing about the veneration of WW2 is that the brave young men who flew Spitfires would, if they were still alive to day, be in the main, horrified at the vote to leave the EU. It was mostly their generation, and those who had lived through WW1 who voted to stay in the EEC in 1975. They understood the value of co-operation and reconciliation.

And, stunningly, it was mainly our generation, their children, who have benefitted from membership, who voted to leave. Our generation, who seem to regard Europe as 'the enemy' to be vanquished and destroyed.

It's our generation that was being mocked, not them.