Gransnet forums

News & politics

I do wonder- is this what the Brexiters wanted?

(570 Posts)
Kali2 Tue 11-May-21 13:24:02

Free Movement of people agreed with India in exchange for Deal?

Lin52 Tue 11-May-21 14:00:38

Kali2

We have free movement from India anyway, from what I can see. Why should we be more opposed to that than free movement from Romania say, free movement comes with trade deals, not trade deals that we also had to pay club membership for.

Oldwoman70 Tue 11-May-21 14:02:25

Kali2

Are you objecting to free movement of people from India or is it every country you object to

lemongrove Tue 11-May-21 14:10:38

As others say, people from India already come here and have done for years and years.My best friend is from India but has lived here since the 1970’s.We have more longstanding connections to India than to many other countries.

growstuff Tue 11-May-21 14:21:02

People from India had to apply for visas. My understanding is that a certain number will be able to come without any requirement to have work - that's the big difference (could be wrong).

Chestnut Tue 11-May-21 14:27:50

Kali2 can you provide a link as you have not put any information about this, just a bland statement.

Blossoming Tue 11-May-21 15:09:48

I think this is what the OP is referring to.

The UK will allow young Indians to live and work in Britain for up to two years without needing a job offer

inews.co.uk/news/politics/uk-india-trade-deal-young-indians-move-britain-two-years-post-brexit-relations-984858

Baggs Tue 11-May-21 15:17:15

Thanks, blossoming.

Couple of snippets from that article for the thread:

"in the first significant post-Brexit liberalisation of the immigration system.

youth mobility scheme which will allow up to 3,000 Indian graduates aged 18-30 to come to the UK each year and seek work, staying for up to 24 months. Young Britons will be able to do the same in India."

My underlining

Chestnut Tue 11-May-21 15:31:28

Thanks for the link Blossoming. This is not free movement of people as stated in the OP and the numbers are limited. As a Brexiteer I see no problem with this.
This landmark agreement with our close partners in the Government of India will provide new opportunities to thousands of young people in the UK and India seeking to live, work and experience each other’s cultures. This agreement will also ensure that the British Government can remove those with no right to be in UK more easily and crackdown on those abusing our system.

ayse Tue 11-May-21 15:36:51

As a Remainer I’m glad there is to be exchange of young people between both countries. It won’t make up for the loss of opportunity for study and work across Europe.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 11-May-21 15:55:11

Thank you for the link blossoming it does explain the inflamatory OP

I have no problem with this.

Kali2 Tue 11-May-21 15:59:46

Oldwoman70

Kali2

Are you objecting to free movement of people from India or is it every country you object to

I have no problem with it. My question is 'is it what Brexiters wanted or expected'.

Chestnut Tue 11-May-21 16:35:55

But we've established the deal does not include 'free movement of people' so the question is not valid.

Kim19 Wed 12-May-21 07:21:08

As a brexiteer, I have a simple hope for freedom from the awful shackles and limitations I perceived as being a member of the EU. I 'expected' all improvements and changes to take at least a couple of years to become evident and I further 'expect' it to be probably five years before we are completely plain sailing (hope for sooner!). This was a huge deal and I cannot understand how people expect instant results, good or bad. There are numerous complicated treaties to unfurl and I think this has to take time. Obviously Europe has tried to make this unnecessarily difficult for us. They have their agenda too. I'm quietly confident this will end well but, like all good things, we will have to be patient and deal with each curved ball as it comes our way.

Urmstongran Wed 12-May-21 07:33:16

Well said Kim (and so early in a morning too!). ?

As a Brexiteer I expected a few bumps in the road. 40 years of being tied in with the EU can’t be unpicked in 40 weeks. Rome wasn’t built in a day. I have great patience and so far I’m pleased with the way things are going.

Lin52 Wed 12-May-21 07:46:07

ayse

As a Remainer I’m glad there is to be exchange of young people between both countries. It won’t make up for the loss of opportunity for study and work across Europe.

You can still apply to work and study in the EU, you’ll have to pay for the education, as you have to in any country in the world. My grandaughter has just got herself a new job in Holland, so to say there are no opportunities to live and work in EU is wrong.

MerylStreep Wed 12-May-21 07:49:48

Kali2
Let’s not beat about the bush here. All of us who voted for brexit know that your having a dig.
But from a few posts you can see it hasn’t worked ?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-May-21 08:11:32

Frost now considers the NI protocol no longer sustainable.

Well that went well didn’t it?

Didn’t he get a peerage for that?

Perhaps he ought to give it back.

vegansrock Wed 12-May-21 08:14:40

Let’s face it, those who voted for Brexit will deny they wanted to halt immigration and are welcoming to anyone from all over the world, ( apart from all the French and Germans obvs) though my MIL vote leave as she didn’t like Nigerians. Maybe we can bring in Indian workers to pick our fruit and veg, would solve a few problems.

Maggiemaybe Wed 12-May-21 08:33:35

So all those who voted to leave are racist and a bit thick, are they?

Not the ones I know. I voted to remain, but hate the lazy stereotyping that pops up every time this subject does.

vegansrock Wed 12-May-21 08:48:54

Who said they were thick and racist? My MiL definitely was, so did live up to that stereotype, but she is no longer with us so never saw her dream enacted along with thousands of others.

MerylStreep Wed 12-May-21 08:49:09

It was ‘interesting’ ? to read this.
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9567023/Michel-Barnier-says-France-halt-non-EU-migration-five-years.html

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-May-21 08:51:28

MerylStreep

It was ‘interesting’ ? to read this.
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9567023/Michel-Barnier-says-France-halt-non-EU-migration-five-years.html

Undoubtedly in reaction to the terrorism.

growstuff Wed 12-May-21 08:57:34

Lin52

ayse

You can still apply to work and study in the EU, you’ll have to pay for the education, as you have to in any country in the world. My grandaughter has just got herself a new job in Holland, so to say there are no opportunities to live and work in EU is wrong.

How much will she have to pay for health cover?

My sister is about to move to Spain and the amount of paperwork she has had to do is mind-boggling. She still won't have permanent residence. The amount she and her husband will have to pay for healthcare is much more than I could afford.

It really is not true that it's still easy to move to the EU.

Maggiemaybe Wed 12-May-21 08:59:55

Who said they were thick and racist?

You, vegansrock.

Let’s face it, those who voted for Brexit will deny they wanted to halt immigration and are welcoming to anyone from all over the world, ( apart from all the French and Germans obvs)