Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Irish Question revisited

(255 Posts)
varian Wed 09-Jun-21 19:39:28

Brexit minister accuses EU of 'legal purism' over NI Protocol

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-57378954

Presumable "legal purism" means keeping to your word and not reneging on a legal agreement you recently negotiated and signed.

The fact is that it was always going to be impossible to abide by the Good Friday Agreement and not have a border on the island of Ireland, whilst the Republic of Ireland remained in the EU but the UK left the EU and the Single Market, without having a border somewhere and if that border is not on the island of Ireland it has to be in the Irish Sea.

Many of us foresaw problems in NI because of Brexit years ago. Why could the Vote Leave Tory Government and the DUP not see what was blindingly obvious to us?

www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1242729-The-Irish-question?pg=22

Katie59 Sun 13-Jun-21 11:54:18

Anniel

Varian I certainly was not a stupid voter who knows nothing. I hold an MSc (Econ) from the London School Of Economics so I have got envious qualifications. Many of you are very pretentious and I am looking for a answer that tells me why the EU objects to us sending goods to another part of our country?

Annie
Raising your head above the parapet is not a good idea, LSE is well known as a hot bed of left wing activism and your Msc would not be valued by everyone, including myself.
Johnson and all the other brexit lot have also got prestigious academic qualifications, they do not have one ounce of honesty or common sense between them. They have proved themselves good liars that can convince voters to support their policies, with the hindsight we have now that cannot be disputed.
Those of us that did consider the implications of leaving the EU system and becoming a third country have been vindicated.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 13-Jun-21 11:57:25

Anniel

Varian I certainly was not a stupid voter who knows nothing. I hold an MSc (Econ) from the London School Of Economics so I have got envious qualifications. Many of you are very pretentious and I am looking for a answer that tells me why the EU objects to us sending goods to another part of our country?

You will find the answer in the content of the treaty signed by Johnson with the EU.

I’m surprised that your “enviable qualifications” did not point you in the right direction.

Dryginger Sun 13-Jun-21 12:21:44

It did!!!!

nadateturbe Sun 13-Jun-21 12:47:24

I'm very happy that we in NI will be sticking to EU standards for food. But at the same time I can understand objections to the border in the Irish Sea because the EU border should be between the EU and the UK. Surely they knew there would be strong objections.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 13-Jun-21 13:08:56

Everyone did of course, but there are so many video footages if Johnson lying. Hopefully in future Johnson will not be believed.

Last autumn he tried to get parliament to agree to renegade on the agreement, but parliament had the integrity not to break an international agreement.

varian Sun 13-Jun-21 13:12:58

Now he seems to be able just to bypass parliament, as he did when he reduced the foreign aid budget.

nadateturbe Sun 13-Jun-21 13:17:59

He broke his promise regarding the border. Unionists in NI wont let it go. The situation is depressing. And no doubt we'll have a massive "Twelfth" celebration to demonstrate feelings. Ho hum.

varian Sun 13-Jun-21 13:23:51

Let us remember that the majority of NI voters wanted to Remain in the EU, and that the DUP, by propping up an unpopular Tory Government, managed to inflict a hard brexit on us all.

They knew that there would have to be a border somewhere if we left the Single Market and it could not be on the island of Ireland because of the GFA which they had signed up to, so where did they think it would be?

nadateturbe Sun 13-Jun-21 14:10:01

I'm no expert Varian. I think they thought they could force it.
I just wish our politicians would get on with looking after things like the health service and schools. NHS is in a dreadful state. Our private clinics have long waits too.
Its just a continual battle between unionists and republicans trying to score points.

Kali2 Sun 13-Jun-21 15:01:55

Food for thought- I think he is right

youtu.be/kwcU2N2DfMc

Katie59 Sun 13-Jun-21 18:03:32

“Its just a continual battle between unionists and republicans trying to score points.”

Not sure how the republicans are involved, it seems to me a dispute between Unionists and Westminster.

The influence of Unionists did not affect the eventual deal because they lost their casting votes, they certainly prevented Theresa May getting a settlement and allowing BJ to mess the deal up.

varian Sun 13-Jun-21 18:37:48

For Johnson, Northern Ireland has been an afterthought in his dogmatic drive for the hardest of Brexits. The UK refused to agree to a level of regulatory alignment with the EU that, for example, countries such as Japan and Canada agreed to, regardless of the costs for Northern Ireland. This risks further inflaming tensions in Northern Ireland ahead of the marching season.

There are also broader consequences of Johnson’s actions. This G7 summit serves as a useful reminder that the international cooperation needed to confront the biggest global challenges is fostered on trust, friendship and personal relationships. His approach to diplomacy instead centres around dishonesty, tearing up compromises and threats of unilateral action. He will greatly diminish Britain’s role in the world and its ability to help broker the international action so urgently needed to address climate catastrophe, microbial resistance and the threat of another pandemic.

But there is perhaps no greater indictment of Johnson’s premiership than his determination to put picking a symbolic fight with our European allies ahead of the stability and security of a part of the UK. The nation will continue to pay the price for the incompetent and dishonourable way he is choosing to govern Britain.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jun/13/observer-view-boris-johnson-g7-summit

nadateturbe Sun 13-Jun-21 18:51:46

Kali2 he said NO voted to stay but NI is part of the UK. The UK voted to leave.

* Katie59* I wasn't talking about Brexit. In general our MLAs rarely agree on anything. Our assembly is a joke imo.

nadateturbe Sun 13-Jun-21 18:59:18

Sorry NI not NO

Kali2 Sun 13-Jun-21 21:18:05

Yes, it is clear that Brexit was a very English concept.

Saetana Mon 14-Jun-21 01:02:15

Boris and Joe Biden apparently got on very well - and I would be surprised if Biden had not had a "word" with the EU about their intransiegence. The EU are using the Good Friday Agreement as a weapon, without understanding what it is actually about. Article 16, apparently, from a legal point of view, is not clear at all and is open to interpretation. We are taking the loosest form of interpretation and the EU, quelle surprise, are taking the tightest. The obvious answer staring us in the face is for the EU to accept that British food and agricultural standards have "equivalence" ie they are considered to be equal to the EU without necessarily being identical. Although, the fact is, at this moment in time our standards ARE identical because we have not changed anything yet. They have granted this status to a number of other "third countries" but will not grant it to us because they want to punish us for leaving the EU. If we unilaterally extend the "grace" period for Northern Ireland on border checks (as we have once already) they are threatening us with a trade war. Honestly, how can any Remoaner still support the EU when they are behaving like scorned lovers rather than a mature democracy? We have said, more than once, that we want to be friends with our EU neighbours - unfortunately that does not seem to work both ways.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 14-Jun-21 07:19:00

First instinct of brexiters

Katie59 Mon 14-Jun-21 09:38:11

All of this “equivalence” was supposed to be agreed during the transition period in 2020 but all the time was used arguing about the deal. Our “red line” not accepting any EU regulation is an obstacle in many areas, not just food, they are also taking into account any divergence in standards that we may take in the future.
Since January there have been many agreements, there will be many more I’m sure, the caution for the EU is that we want our standards to diverge in the future. The whole purpose of the transition period was to sort these issues in advance

varian Mon 14-Jun-21 12:14:00

Just a few months ago Johnson signed up to the NI protocol which has meant that there are checks on goods crossing the Irish Sea. This agreement was negotiated by his Brexit Minister and acclaimed as a great triumph.

Now he wants to tear up that protocol and renege on the agreement.

There are only two explanations-

Either he did not understand the agreement he signed

Or he did understand it but always intended to renege on it.

If the first explanation is true it means that Johnson is too stupid or too lazy to understand it.

If the second explanation is true it means he has taken his habit of lying to a new level and trashed the UK's reputation as a decent honourable trading partner in the process.

Which is it?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 14-Jun-21 12:16:39

He knew and intended to renege. No question.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 14-Jun-21 12:20:32

This

Kali2 Mon 14-Jun-21 12:39:15

Same photo, other caption

'please stay with me until he has gone'

Kali2 Mon 14-Jun-21 14:58:11

And now Johnson saying that he would expect NATO to support the UK's 'integrity' if he reneges on the Deal he negotiated and signed.

Is he even madder and more dangerous I ever thought:

Serious stuff- and absolute nonsense!

railman Mon 14-Jun-21 15:14:39

Love that photo *Ww2

railman Mon 14-Jun-21 15:18:34

Since, as others have said, we currently adhere to EU food standards, why not just accept that that is where the UK is today, including NI. Sign off the Veterinary Agreement with a clause to state either side may invoke penalties, if standards fall BELOW the current level?

Maintain the current standards in force, and impose sanctions if UK falls below current EU standards that we currently follow, or as some might have it, we exceed.