Gransnet forums

News & politics

Matt Hancock….

(410 Posts)
MayBee70 Thu 10-Jun-21 12:47:08

Anyone watching this now? He really does talk the talk doesn’t he. Has just stated that no health worker has died due to lack of PPE. At least Sarah Owen is now giving him a good grilling.

Petera Thu 10-Jun-21 16:03:51

"It would be impossible to say that any health workers who contracted Covid did so at work or from home life."

..and again, Hancock has said that any health worker who died of COVID did not contract it at work. Which is impossible to say.

Casdon Thu 10-Jun-21 16:15:22

I was there, working in a hospital in the NHS at that time, and there were major issues with PPE supplies, particularly masks, gloves and hand gel. The government guidance was changed to a lower specification so that only those staff in very acute roles were allocated FFP3 masks, they couldn’t be changed with the frequency they should be, and they were in incredibly short supply, made worse by the fact that the pandemic emergency stock was out of date so didn’t meet specifications, and much of the stock purchased from abroad was sub standard. Ward staff were wearing FFP2 masks because that was all that was available. The situation was so bad that staff were very scared about their own safety as well as protecting patients adequately, and were crying on a daily basis.
There’s no doubt that staff contracted COVID from patients, as contacts were traced, and in many areas there was no Covid in the community until patients were transferred from other areas who were infected. The ease of spread in a hospital environment wasn’t properly understood in the early days.
Does anybody else remember the consultants and nursing leaders who went on TV to say how dangerous they thought the PPE situation was? I’m sure there are some NHS staff on this site who are still working who will bear this out.

MayBee70 Thu 10-Jun-21 16:19:48

And one of them died several weeks later Casdon.

MaizieD Thu 10-Jun-21 16:35:10

Talullah

Yes, we all know about the lack of PPE. What many seem to forget is the whole world had a problem obtaining PPE.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7314445/

We wouldn't have had such a big problem if our emergency stock of PPE hadn't turned out to have been so mismanaged (management contracted out, of course, by the tories) that masses of it was out of date. Some of it so out of date that the new labels that had been stuck on over the out of date labels were themselves out of date...

Or even if the government had taken up offers from UK PPE manufacturers instead of bunging huge amounts of money to potato crisp firms and jewellery makers (coincidentally run by people known to them) to procure PPE...

Casdon Thu 10-Jun-21 17:07:14

Now he’s really annoyed me.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-57429539
Wales hasn’t stockpiled vaccines. More people are protected. The total cases, and variant numbers here are low compared with England.
It’s apparently all thanks to the UK Government taking a responsible approach and Wales being profligate. More than just his pants should be on fire is all I’ll say.

Dinahmo Thu 10-Jun-21 17:28:55

Chardy

Talullah

Yes, we all know about the lack of PPE. What many seem to forget is the whole world had a problem obtaining PPE.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7314445/

There were PPE suppliers in UK trying to contact the govt, who could not get through or get their calls returned. They ended up exporting to USA.

There were PPE contracts given to companies who supplied substandard PPE, which had to be thrown away.

Last week I read about a company in the UK that had £14 millions worth of PPE in stock (they manufactured it) They contacted the govt who said no thanks, we've already placed an order. With one of the cronies.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Jun-21 18:34:12

Cummings has waited for Hancock to hang himself and is now going to publish the evidence of Hancock’s. Lies and incompetence.

Oh dear?

varian Thu 10-Jun-21 18:36:36

Hancock might have convinced himself but I doubt he convinced anyone else. He's never going to get a Bafta.

MaizieD Thu 10-Jun-21 19:10:00

Whitewavemark2

Cummings has waited for Hancock to hang himself and is now going to publish the evidence of Hancock’s. Lies and incompetence.

Oh dear?

Are you citing something there, WWmk2 or are you just hopeful?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Jun-21 19:15:04

MaizieD

Whitewavemark2

Oh dear?

Are you citing something there, WWmk2 or are you just hopeful?

No on twitter.Peston I think. I’ll try to find it.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Jun-21 19:17:12

Here

The Churchill Project
@WinstonCProject
JUST IN: Dominic Cummings reveals he will publish the evidence in relation to the Committee.
@MattHancock

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Jun-21 19:18:18

“Like him or loathe him Dominic Cummings is highly intelligent and a master game player, Hancock is playing a game he cannot win, we will see “

theworriedwell Thu 10-Jun-21 20:04:41

I thought Cummings must be waiting for them to hang themselves. I'm not a Cummings fan (are there any?) but I would like the truth to come out so if he's the one who can point the finger then so be it.

Doodledog Thu 10-Jun-21 20:12:32

If I wanted to prove someone was a liar, I would wait until they had told lies as publicly as possible and then unmask them, and I’m not nearly as Machiavellian as Cummings. Thus should be ‘interesting’. ?

vegansrock Fri 11-Jun-21 02:18:32

Hancock is trying to gaslight the public by saying there was no shortage of PPE. So all those people like me who were sewing scrubs for hospital and care home staff and those nurses wearing bin bags were having a laugh then?

vegansrock Fri 11-Jun-21 07:55:11

Everyone had always got the treatment they needed, Hancock insisted. So those people with learning difficulties who had “do not resuscitate” stickers placed on their beds were getting just what they deserved?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Jun-21 08:01:10

vegansrock

Everyone had always got the treatment they needed, Hancock insisted. So those people with learning difficulties who had “do not resuscitate” stickers placed on their beds were getting just what they deserved?

That brought me up with a shock?. I’d forgotten that dreadful decision.

Strewth! What is this country becoming ?

Casdon Fri 11-Jun-21 08:50:01

It looks like I wasn’t the only one annoyed by the claims about why Wales was ahead with the vaccine programme.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-57438587
This will add to the body of evidence. I’d say Hancock is on a very sticky wicket indeed, a cabinet reshuffle might be on the cards.

JaneJudge Fri 11-Jun-21 09:27:30

vegansrock

Like MY DAUGHTER angry
a perfectly healthy, much loved 21yo. Put on her notes by OUR Medical centre, along with everyone else with an LD

JaneJudge Fri 11-Jun-21 09:28:17

If any of you ever have the time, do look at the disability news service. It is absolutely shocking how this has affected people with disabilities.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Jun-21 10:58:31

The noose is tightening, but not just for Hancock, I think Johnson will be a target as well.

Cummings has set up a new platform for more insider revelations, on Substack.

He said that he intends to use the platform to campaign for answers about the covid pandemic.

Dinahmo Fri 11-Jun-21 11:48:29

I think he's asking for a subscription of £10 per month to access his blog.

theworriedwell Fri 11-Jun-21 11:48:36

Casdon

It looks like I wasn’t the only one annoyed by the claims about why Wales was ahead with the vaccine programme.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-57438587
This will add to the body of evidence. I’d say Hancock is on a very sticky wicket indeed, a cabinet reshuffle might be on the cards.

He can't win with that one can he, I mean he is going to annoy Wales by not acknowledging how well they did and he is doing that by claiming he set up a system that disadvantaged the English. I'm not sure he thought that one through.

theworriedwell Fri 11-Jun-21 11:49:23

JaneJudge

vegansrock

Like MY DAUGHTER angry
a perfectly healthy, much loved 21yo. Put on her notes by OUR Medical centre, along with everyone else with an LD

That must be horrific for you. I hope your DD is well.

JaneJudge Fri 11-Jun-21 11:53:41

They took it off her notes in January theworriedwell when we had her annual LD clinic. She has had both her vaccinations and is indeed well. It is appalling though. We work SO hard for her to have a 'normal' and independent and happy life as possible and yet it was deemed necessary by government bodies to judge her wrt to the frailty scale angry I don't bloody think so