Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit is fast becoming a disaster

(686 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Jun-21 09:03:08

HMRC have published some figures to show that food and drink exports fell by 2bn in the first 3 months since Brexit.

Dairy was down a massive 90%? and there were losses across the board.

The figures show that rather it being a teething issue as the Tories would have us believe it is in fact structural and likely to continue unless there is some sort of move towards say the SM.

MaizieD Fri 06-Aug-21 15:58:11

GrannyGravy13

Conservatives closed 160 mines
Labour closed 290 mines.

Well, actually..

Since WW2:

Labour closed a total of 371 deep mines
Conservatives closed a total of 584 deep mines
Coalition govt closed 2

The salient point about Thatcher's closures is that they were a greater percentage of the total mines operating in the UK and they put more people out of work than did previous Labour closures.

According to the National Archive (not, I think, a biased source) many mines that were uneconomical or nearing being worked out, were kept going until the 60s because there was actually a national shortage of coal. As other fuel sources (oil and gas) became more widely available of course many mines were closed. MacMillan closed 246 deep mines...

And many closures were of worked out small mines. The Durham coalfield, where I live, is covered with mining settlements (or completely obliterated settlements) where the mines were worked out and closed over the 60s and 70s. Hard to get indignant about the closure of worked out mines...

While Thatcher was busy closing the deep mines and miners losing their jobs, the UK was importing coal from eastern Europe, notably Poland, so her motives were as much political (1984 Miners' Strike, anyone?) as practical.

Quoting figures proves very little unless the context is understood.

Comprehensive figures here. These 'nerd' type websites are usually very well researched.

www.healeyhero.co.uk/rescue/individual/Bob_Bradley/PM-Closures.html

Kali2 Fri 06-Aug-21 19:19:48

In the meantime, the delightful and sharp as an axe Andrew Bridgen says the shortage of HGV drivers is all the fault of Tony Blair, for encouraging youngsters from working class background to go to University. Just incredibly stupid!

PippaZ Fri 06-Aug-21 23:23:09

As I keep saying, to listen to Conservatives, I would guess they are still against teaching everyone to read. After all, women and servants don't need it as they need them to do the jobs no entitled Conservative would want to do. angry

Andrew Bridgen seems to think it was okay for him to go to have taken up the opportunity to go to university himself.

MaizieD Sat 07-Aug-21 07:43:22

I would guess they are still against teaching everyone to read.

Strangely enough that is the one tiny area of education that the tories have genuinely tried to improve. The rest is a mess.

Kali2 Sat 07-Aug-21 09:45:38

'Get on your bike' and 'get a proper job' - as said on another thread!

and 'let them eat cake'

what a farce this is all becoming!

PippaZ Sat 07-Aug-21 09:49:24

Now they have MaizieD. Were they so keen when it meant children had to go to school and not work in the fields or the mills, etc?

Perhaps they will eventually get the message on raising the general level of education for everyone - not just preparing them for a particular job. I won't hold my breath while I wait though.

vegansrock Sat 07-Aug-21 11:36:15

Just read this story-
I wanted to order a crystal vase and send to Italy as a wedding present. On phone to British company who said they could send said vase to Italy but the recipient would have to pay a tax on it. I didn’t think that would make a great present, so I said “is it because of Brexit?” No answer - Brexit supporters will never admit anything negative about Brexit. What I did - I phoned a company in Dublin supplying Waterford Crystal - they were happy to post to Italy and take my money - no tax to pay. British company lost that business.

growstuff Sat 07-Aug-21 11:44:12

PippaZ

Now they have MaizieD. Were they so keen when it meant children had to go to school and not work in the fields or the mills, etc?

Perhaps they will eventually get the message on raising the general level of education for everyone - not just preparing them for a particular job. I won't hold my breath while I wait though.

The parents of the children who had to go to school and couldn't earn money by working in factories and in fields weren't too keen either. If those ancestors from 150 years ago could be brought back to life, I wonder what they'd think of some of their descendants' working in offices or being bosses, as a direct result of improved education.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 09-Aug-21 06:44:53

The government has confirmed that it is ready to deploy the army to get food onto shelves.

Reason?

Brexit

Whitewavemark2 Mon 09-Aug-21 06:51:38

Mind you we dont have sufficient troops to cover the shortage of ex-European drivers, because the government has cut the army??.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 09-Aug-21 06:56:27

Business chiefs are desperate to reach-negotiate entry into the SM.

MaizieD Mon 09-Aug-21 10:04:25

North East Chamber of Commerce being studiously ignored by the government.

A letter to Boris Johnson sent a fortnight ago by James Ramsbotham called on the prime minister to save the north-east from the “damage being done to our economy” by Brexit and urged him to give it his “most urgent and personal attention”. Two weeks later, it remains unanswered.

Ramsbotham is the chief executive of the North East England Chamber of Commerce and speaks for thousands of businesses caught by the red tape and extra costs of complying with EU rules. In a recent survey, 38% of members said sales to Europe had fallen since January.

This is not teething problems,” he says. “Our ports face the EU and our region has the highest proportion of any exporting to the EU. It is vital that more barriers come down.”

Surveys by the chamber show that three-quarters of its members wanted to stay in the single market when asked about their personal views.

The same proportion reported they had been financially harmed by leaving the EU.

Whole article is worth reading.

amp.theguardian.com/politics/2021/aug/09/no-strategic-plan-brexit-james-ramsbotham-north-east-chamber-of-commerce?__twitter_impression=true

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Aug-21 07:01:48

As an aside.

My milk isn’t being delivered because of shortage of drivers.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Aug-21 07:06:04

The emergency Brexit powers for lorries has been made permanent as the government expects further and more serious disruption.

PippaZ Wed 11-Aug-21 08:58:28

Chickens coming home to roost.

Now will those who voted to leave tell us what economic good they expected to come from it?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Aug-21 09:02:30

? I posted this but it didn’t refresh to the top of active. So annoyingly I had to start another new thread.

How come it has refreshed now!!?

Hetty58 Wed 11-Aug-21 09:04:06

Whitewavemark2, you didn't mention the surge in pre-Brexit trading, the worldwide pandemic - or the consumer move away from dairy products.

How can anyone manage to compare before and after when things have changed so drastically?

MayBee70 Wed 11-Aug-21 13:11:52

Does anyone know if other EU (also affected by covid) countries are having to use the army to deliver food?

varian Wed 11-Aug-21 14:55:34

Brexit hit: City of London suffers £2.3 trillion derivatives loss in a single month

www.cityam.com/derivatives-hit-city-of-london-suffers-2-3-trillion-brexit-loss-in-a-single-month/

DiamondLily Fri 13-Aug-21 08:21:32

Brexit is hitting many industries hard - farmers and fishermen feel they’ve been thrown under the bus, and Northern Ireland is a shambles.

Haulage across the channel is mired down in rules and paperwork, affecting supplies both ways.

There’s a thread on here where a garden centre is having to give away its plants today because EU workers have gone home and they can’t employ anyone to replace them.

Many Brexiteers wanted it because they thought it would mean no immigration, but have now realised that not a thing has changed.

The government are conveniently blaming Covid for everything, but they will be found out in the end, Even a colossal and experienced con man like Johnson can only con so many for so long!`

A failure all round, but it’s too late now, we’ve just got to get on with it.

varian Wed 18-Aug-21 18:33:51

You are right DiamondLily the 50 million people living in the UK who never voted for this brexit nonsense which was imposed on us by corrupt dishonest politicians and the 17 million (guillible) people who were fooled into voting for it, now "just have to get on with it".

But that does not mean pretending that we now think that it was not the most destructive move ever made by our country during our lifetimes.

varian Mon 06-Sep-21 18:16:35

Telling it like it is.

brexitactually.quora.com/?__ni__=0&__nsrc__=4&__snid3__=25871897326&__tiids__=36541542

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-Sep-21 15:11:34

Just seen this ????

NEW: Supply chain problems lead to Government/EA lowering regulations controlling discharge of effluent, when sewer/water cos suffer “shortage of chemicals” used to treat effluent “because of the UKs new relationship with the EU, Covid or other supply chain failures”…

Anyone fancy a swim in the sea?

Dinahmo Tue 07-Sep-21 15:20:16

That's been happening along the south coast for some while. The companies are ignoring the regulations and not a lot has been done about it.

varian Thu 16-Sep-21 16:58:32

The gloom of leading Brexiteers signals a dark outlook for “independent” Britain.

As supermarket shelves lie bare, even prominent Leave voters are beginning to doubt the wisdom of being outside the single market.

www.newstatesman.com/politics/brexit/2021/09/the-gloom-of-leading-brexiteers-signals-a-dark-outlook-for-independent-britain?utm_source=pardot&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=reg_users_16092021