Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit is fast becoming a disaster

(686 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Jun-21 09:03:08

HMRC have published some figures to show that food and drink exports fell by 2bn in the first 3 months since Brexit.

Dairy was down a massive 90%? and there were losses across the board.

The figures show that rather it being a teething issue as the Tories would have us believe it is in fact structural and likely to continue unless there is some sort of move towards say the SM.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 20-Jun-21 11:37:39

Some do though, and that is the point.

Talullah Sun 20-Jun-21 11:39:56

Whitewavemark2

Which country? I'm genuinely interested.

Bossyrossy Sun 20-Jun-21 11:41:32

The pandemic has made it “A good day to bury bad news,” for this government. Well the pandemic is coming to an end and the news will turn its attention to the disastrous effects of Brexit and the lies that were told to deceive the British public into voting for it.

Alegrias1 Sun 20-Jun-21 11:44:04

dragonfly46

As I said somewhere else Alegrias I lived in Europe for 18 years and nowhere did I see the British Legion selling poppies. The only place I have heard of it is near the war graves in Normandy.

Its online sales.

Sorry, I missed the other thread. I'll go and look.

dragonfly46 Sun 20-Jun-21 12:01:26

If it is online sales surely they can still go ahead. I would be very surprised though if many Europeans bought poppies from the BL online. They have their own commemorating the end of war and remembering the dead.

Talullah Sun 20-Jun-21 12:07:21

It's the online shop which sells mugs and umbrellas etc etc which have stopped selling to the EU. Apparently this store generated £5 million. How much of that came from the EU I've no idea.

www.poppyshop.org.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9am-7oim8QIVVZ3VCh0gBgI-EAAYASAAEgI_2vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The spokesperson later added: “There has been no change to the distribution of paper poppies to our members in the EU and we are still sending deliveries to locations in Europe and across the world so that Remembrance activity can take place.”

GillT57 Sun 20-Jun-21 12:11:54

Covid19 has been a blessing for this corrupt and reckless Tory administration, while commentators spend their time debating whether we can or cannot dance at weddings, the economy is in freefall. I had a surreal FB discussion last night with someone regarding the shortages of salad stuff in some supermarkets; he said that the public have unrealistic expectations and should be satisfied with what we can grow here, or even better, grow it themselves. Unbelievable, but predictable

Talullah Sun 20-Jun-21 12:33:39

Interesting, Gill57. In my lifetime we've seen such vast choice hit our supermarket shelves. We expect, and get, out of season fruit and veg. We've become rather spoilt. I had a very interesting discussion with a friend in South America. Avocados. Locals in areas where these are grown have to rely on getting their drinking/bathing water from trucks. This is an old article but explains it well

www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/may/17/chilean-villagers-claim-british-appetite-for-avocados-is-draining-region-dry

Maybe we do have unrealistic expectations which is causing many issues relating to climate change etc.

GillT57 Sun 20-Jun-21 13:00:34

I agree that some expectations are unrealistic, having strawberries flown thousands of miles for Christmas day is madness. However, this is very different from expecting salad stuff to be on the shelves in June. The shortages as I understand it, are due to a combination of lack of people to pick the salad stuff in the first place, and then a shortage of lorry drivers to deliver it to supermarkets. This has all been discussed quite openly, and we should not be distracted by isssues such as avocados taking valuable drinking water, which is wrong of course. I am fortunate in that I can grow quite a lot of our own at this time of year, but not everyone is able to do so. Concerns about climate change must not be used to cover up problems caused by Brexit

nanna8 Sun 20-Jun-21 13:10:31

I expect oranges, mandarins, bananas, strawberries, avos, in fact all vegetables to be available all the year round with the exception of maybe seasonal mangos and pomegranates. They always have been and I would be shocked if they weren’t.

Alegrias1 Sun 20-Jun-21 13:16:48

But you live in Australia.... confused

PippaZ Sun 20-Jun-21 13:30:43

eazybee

It would have been very different if the remainers hadn't spent three years trying to overturn a democratic vote; there would have been three years to sort agreements and arrangements out before covid struck.
As it is, Brexit has been in existence for six months.

That simply isn't true.

PippaZ Sun 20-Jun-21 13:34:07

ayse

Remainders are not to blame for Brexit!

These leave voters do like to turn things "arse about face", don't they, and worse still the believe the newspeak they come out with.

Corisanda Sun 20-Jun-21 13:42:58

I'm pretty sure that whatever good news I could tell you re Brexit would be shot down in flames since Remainers appear to be stuck in a quagmire of negativity which has existed for the last five years and many seem to have a death wish for the UK.

Alegrias1 Sun 20-Jun-21 13:45:05

Tell us some then Corisanda. Real good news please, nothing that can be disproved by 30 seconds on Google.

varian Sun 20-Jun-21 13:48:03

Brexit ‘madness’ will wreck UK steel industry, Tories warned-
sector faces glut of cheap imports because of recommendation that EU protections should not be renewed

www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jun/20/brexit-madness-will-wreck-uk-steel-industry-tories-warned

GillT57 Sun 20-Jun-21 13:51:23

Corisanda

I'm pretty sure that whatever good news I could tell you re Brexit would be shot down in flames since Remainers appear to be stuck in a quagmire of negativity which has existed for the last five years and many seem to have a death wish for the UK.

well, I have plenty of time to read your massive list of Brexit benefits......off you go......I promise I will not shoot you down in flames......

Talullah Sun 20-Jun-21 13:52:02

I am so easily distracted, Gill.

This has all been discussed quite openly, and we should not be distracted by isssues such as avocados taking valuable drinking water, which is wrong of course.

But you started distracting mentioning your FB conversation which reminded me of my South American conversation

Katie59 Sun 20-Jun-21 13:56:20

Corisanda

Cori
Please tell us some good news, so far all your aspirations have come to nothing as far as I can tell, all those lucrative trade deals - zilch, however I may have missed something.

Talullah Sun 20-Jun-21 13:57:21

As for Brexit. We can all find many articles about how disastrous it's been. I voted to stay but it didn't go that way. I am more pragmatic and think that all this talk will fade away and we will settle down. My young colleagues/family aren't mentioning Brexit at all now. It's only on GN that I see much. But I don't go looking for it either. Of course any business that is suffering as a result of this is tragic. But at my ripe old age I've seen many episodes where we had massive unemployment. Jobs being lost. Different industries going to the wall. Life isn't always easy, Brexit or no Brexit.

Alegrias1 Sun 20-Jun-21 14:00:49

Did we ever vote before in favour of massive unemployment and jobs being lost, and for industries to go to the wall?

That's the difference.

Talullah Sun 20-Jun-21 14:04:56

That's a good question, Alegrias1. But some would say that Margaret Thatcher was the cause of some industries going to the wall etc, and she was voted in 3 times. So maybe we did?

PippaZ Sun 20-Jun-21 14:15:49

Talullah

Whitewavemark2

Which country? I'm genuinely interested.

All we have is a couple people who 'have not' seen them. Why should we extrapolate from this small sample? I doubt they would have seen them unless they are with the Forces overseas, as those in denial would have seen if they had bothered to do the research.

The Royal British Legion will no longer sell poppies in the European Union due to red tape following Brexit, according to reports.

The charity, which provides support to members and veterans of the British Armed Forces, is said to have sent an email to supporters stating it will “need to cease sales to customers in countries in the EU” for the foreseeable future until legislation surrounding Brexit is reviewed.

The i newspaper reported that it could not justify the expense, including customs charges, to send poppies overseas following Britain’s departure from the EU’s customs union on 1 January.

I find that depriving our troups of this oportunity to support the Royal British Legion iniquitous, personally.

PippaZ Sun 20-Jun-21 14:19:45

Talullah

As for Brexit. We can all find many articles about how disastrous it's been. I voted to stay but it didn't go that way. I am more pragmatic and think that all this talk will fade away and we will settle down. My young colleagues/family aren't mentioning Brexit at all now. It's only on GN that I see much. But I don't go looking for it either. Of course any business that is suffering as a result of this is tragic. But at my ripe old age I've seen many episodes where we had massive unemployment. Jobs being lost. Different industries going to the wall. Life isn't always easy, Brexit or no Brexit.

So we just turn the idea of "for the many not the few" back to the Tory "for the few and not the many" and write it of as "that's what happens"?

GillT57 Sun 20-Jun-21 14:21:08

But surely the point is that the effects of Brexit are going beyond articles in the papers? Covid19 will soon be off the front pages, and maybe, eventually, people will realise what is happening. I admire that you can stay pragmatic Tallulah but I cannot and will never forgive what certain politicians and newspaper owners have done to this country. How we turn it around I am not sure, but just accepting it all as done is not on the cards for me, you see I am one of the 'Give a Toss' group. grin