Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit is fast becoming a disaster

(686 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Jun-21 09:03:08

HMRC have published some figures to show that food and drink exports fell by 2bn in the first 3 months since Brexit.

Dairy was down a massive 90%? and there were losses across the board.

The figures show that rather it being a teething issue as the Tories would have us believe it is in fact structural and likely to continue unless there is some sort of move towards say the SM.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-Sep-21 12:13:00

Brexiters were warned time and time again that the USA was a no go. Obama warned us and brexiters poo pooed him.

Remainers used their intelligence and worked it out but oh no Brexiters knew better didn’t they!

This is project obvious in action.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-Sep-21 12:18:57

The lesson yet to be understood and learned by Brexiters that trade is always easier and more productive if you are geographically close and already have a presence in that particular market place.

It isn’t rocket science but Brexiters make such heavy weather of it.

Alegrias1 Wed 22-Sep-21 12:33:40

Americans, and Democrats in particular, do not understand that the EU is not a democratic institution like the United States, but is instead run by unelected officials.

??? Sorry, wait, I'll get myself under control.

OK. That's better.

Obama, who removed the bust of Churchill from the Oval Office, warned the UK that we would go to the back of the queue if we dared to leave the EU. Now, Biden is simply following the same line.

So the then-president of the USA said they would do something and another president has done it. They're slippery, these people, aren't they?

Welshwife Wed 22-Sep-21 14:09:17

Can somebody who knows the EU is governed by unelected people please explain who I have been voting for in all the European elections for nearly 50 years - I thought it was for MEPs.

Dinahmo Wed 22-Sep-21 14:25:25

Welshwife Highly unlikely that you'll get a response. There is rarely, if ever, a response from those who believe that the EU is run by bureaucrats.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-Sep-21 14:30:33

Cloth-eared = Brexiters

Welshwife Wed 22-Sep-21 14:37:57

I know but I wondered if some of them had had a vision or something and could now answer the question.!!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-Sep-21 14:54:57

Lie number 10045600

Boris Johnson(2017) - "We hear that we're first in line to do a great free trade deal with the United States"

GrannyGravy13 Wed 22-Sep-21 15:13:16

Whitewavemark2

Cloth-eared = Brexiters

I find that insulting people is not the best way to engage anyone in debate or get them to answer any questions posed.

MayBee70 Wed 22-Sep-21 16:00:17

Is there a better term to describe people that continue to ignore the fact that this country is in a bad way due to brexit and also seem to ignore the fact that the man that took us into brexit (using lies) is now the PM and is a proven liar, not just in this country by but throughout the world. Oh, and a breaker of promises, too.

Alegrias1 Wed 22-Sep-21 16:02:41

There is MayBee70 but if any of us use it we'll get banned.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-Sep-21 16:03:27

GrannyGravy13

Whitewavemark2

Cloth-eared = Brexiters

I find that insulting people is not the best way to engage anyone in debate or get them to answer any questions posed.

They never answer questions anyway, so I don’t think it matters tbh. They don’t have any answers.

MaizieD Wed 22-Sep-21 16:18:34

They never answer questions anyway, so I don’t think it matters tbh. They don’t have any answers.

The most vital question that they have never answered is 'What advantages are there to Brexit?'

GrannyGravy13 Wed 22-Sep-21 16:45:19

Those who voted remain have either got short or selective memories.

During my relatively short time on GN (approximately four years) I have seen posters who voted leave give their reasons over and over again, including myself.

MayBee70 Wed 22-Sep-21 16:52:59

Well, having given you reasons can you now explain the benefits of brexit, thus far?

Dinahmo Wed 22-Sep-21 16:54:49

GrannyGravy13

During my relatively short time on GN (approximately four years) I have seen posters who voted leave give their reasons over and over again, including myself.

Usually those posters gave opinions rather than facts I'm afraid.

Alegrias1 Wed 22-Sep-21 17:08:35

To be fair, I do think that Brexiters have given the reasons why they voted to Leave.

One poster gave me a long and heartfelt explanation of why she voted Leave, just this week.

Trouble was, it wasn't based on reality or facts in any way.

MaizieD Wed 22-Sep-21 17:21:48

GrannyGravy13

Not asking for reasons, asking for benefits. There is a massive difference.

vegansrock Wed 22-Sep-21 17:38:46

You’ll get the usual sovereignty, unelected bureaucrats, giving them loads of money we could spend on NHS, all the other countries are envious of us, it’s all about to collapse (5 years ago) etc No actual benefits natch.

Scones Wed 22-Sep-21 20:59:44

Are people who voted Brexit are happy with the way things are going?

vegansrock Wed 22-Sep-21 21:10:59

Of course they will never admit anything negative about Brexit it’s all teething. problems, bumps in the road, all the fault of the EU etc etc. plus we’ve got all those lovely freedoms to pollute our rivers , give Tory donors heaps of taxpayers dosh, strike great trade deals with the likes of the Faroe Islands, get rid of all those fruit pickers, nurses and lorry drivers pinching our jobs …….

GrannyGravy13 Wed 22-Sep-21 21:25:23

Scones

Are people who voted Brexit are happy with the way things are going?

Not particularly, but then again I guess nobody factored in a worldwide pandemic.

Maudi Wed 22-Sep-21 21:29:05

We've left people get over it

GrannyGravy13 Wed 22-Sep-21 21:36:38

Maudi

We've left people get over it

Not really helpful or contributing to the debate.

PippaZ Wed 22-Sep-21 21:39:54

eazybee

It would have been very different if the remainers hadn't spent three years trying to overturn a democratic vote; there would have been three years to sort agreements and arrangements out before covid struck.
As it is, Brexit has been in existence for six months.

If Brexit were all it was cracked up to be nothing, those who didn't think leaving was a great idea, would matter.

If the vote had been beyond reproach, then no one could have put forward the strong arguments they did that it was undemocratic.

For those who lose representation in a vote to agree, they need to believe it was democratic. I won't rehearse the arguments but the referendum wasn't democratic. We can see this every day when the Brexiteers promises, which were called out as lies at the time, are proving to be just that.