Gransnet forums

News & politics

I have just about had enough of these contradictory covid19 regulations.

(334 Posts)
GillT57 Wed 23-Jun-21 13:45:40

Ok, so I am a law abiding person, I stayed at home, had my shopping delivered, no visitors, masks, hand washing, social distancing, both vaccinations etc., But, now I sit and watch thousands of football fans and Royal Ascot to name just two, at the same time as some bleating windbag of a politician is explaining why we shouldn't dance at a wedding ( other then the bride and groom), can only have limited guests in the church.....I am absolutely sick to the back teeth of the hypocrisy of it. I am going to a wedding in a mid July and the parents ( good friends) are worried sick about managing it all, how many can go into the Church, I told them to just stick a couple of horses in the gardens and we can say it is a race meet ( we will be wearing frocks and hats!), or get a football game going with some of the guests and we can be the spectators? Am I the only one irritated beyond measure?

Harris27 Wed 23-Jun-21 17:56:46

I’m fed up too and just sick to the teeth being one rule for one and another for another! Money talks b####t talks!

love0c Wed 23-Jun-21 17:59:17

Yes, I do agree. I am sick to death of it as well. I am trying to ignore what is going on. I have had two vaccinations and I do whatever I can. That is what I mean. I walk on the pavement and I flatly refuse to jump into the road if someone else passes. I see and hug my family. I am looking after my mental health. That is what is important to me now. I wear a mask in the shops because it would be difficult not to. I do not want to be jumped on for not wearing one. If everybody did what they can I am sure things would be better. If people want to hide away, then they can. I am not!

love0c Wed 23-Jun-21 18:00:32

Exactly. Is is about control now.

GillT57 Wed 23-Jun-21 18:08:07

I accept that covid19 will be with us for some time, but we didn't get hysterical when the annual influenza carried off several thousand every winter. I am not a covid denier, nor do I think it is part of some great conspiracy to reset society, but enough is enough now, we need to get on with it. If this means masks in shops, handwashing on entry to public spaces, then fine, but please open up bars and restaurants and theatres and let us decide for ourselves whether we wish to go. Parents cannot attend their child's sports day, but can crowd into Wembley. Madness.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 23-Jun-21 18:14:22

Totally agree GillT57

3nanny6 Wed 23-Jun-21 18:37:29

The Delta variant is rising almost everywhere and just heard it is now the doubled Delta variant with rising hospital cases and many more now on ventilators with N.H.S. staff saying the wards are filling up.

Why are we seeing all this football being played and even several of the footballers testing positive for Covid but the matches are still carrying on. One set of rules for some of us and different ones for others.
Seems to me it is a game of just take your chances you may just dodge the virus.

Lillie Wed 23-Jun-21 18:40:31

if it's good enough for the queen to go out and about then its good enough for me.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 23-Jun-21 18:45:05

3nanny6 all the information I have seen regarding hospital admissions show 25% decrease in length of hospital stays and decreasing amount of ventilated patients.

rosie1959 Wed 23-Jun-21 19:15:17

GrannyGravy13

3nanny6 all the information I have seen regarding hospital admissions show 25% decrease in length of hospital stays and decreasing amount of ventilated patients.

That’s what I have read as well. Infections may be rising but the vaccine is doing its job
Time to get on with life I still follow most of the rules but not to fussy if I have more than 6 in my home at any one time
Report in the Times that we are on track for July 19 let’s hope they stick to it this time

PinkCakes Wed 23-Jun-21 19:40:20

I'm sick of it all, too. How is it that 60,000 people can go to watch football, so many can watch tennis, then all those at Ascot, the G7 meeting - but I can't see my grandchildren do their sports day?

It's one rule for the rich and/or famous (no rules), and something else for the rest of us.

Ellianne Wed 23-Jun-21 19:53:41

I think the rise in numbers amongst young people shows us what a truly awful situation we older people would now be in without the vaccines.
With that in mind, it also shows us that it is now time to get back to living a normal life again.

Luckygirl Wed 23-Jun-21 21:24:25

I absolutely accept the need for rules, but they should be the same for everyone.

MayBee70 Wed 23-Jun-21 21:35:14

love0c

Yes, I do agree. I am sick to death of it as well. I am trying to ignore what is going on. I have had two vaccinations and I do whatever I can. That is what I mean. I walk on the pavement and I flatly refuse to jump into the road if someone else passes. I see and hug my family. I am looking after my mental health. That is what is important to me now. I wear a mask in the shops because it would be difficult not to. I do not want to be jumped on for not wearing one. If everybody did what they can I am sure things would be better. If people want to hide away, then they can. I am not!

You’re the sort of person that has made going out for a walk hell for me over the past year or so. Would it be too much to ask to give socially distance yourself from people when walking on pavements given that the people you’re walking past might not be able to have the vaccine or are immune suppressed? And yes, I will walk in the road to give people space if necessary.

lemongrove Wed 23-Jun-21 21:39:27

Because thousands of Scottish fans behaved irresponsibly is that a good reason for us all to?
Yes, live your life, see friends and family but do things the right way, it protects you as well as other people.
We go out, visit places, use cafes and pubs, but it’s done responsibly, as even though we have had both jabs it’s still possible to fall ill with Covid.
Weddings and funerals can have more guests now ( even if not as many as would be liked) and it won’t be long before we will be fully ‘back in business’ with everything open again.

Biscuitmuncher Thu 24-Jun-21 01:00:54

When governments have done terrible things to their people they don't do it all at once they just do it a bit at a time, see how much they will take

growstuff Thu 24-Jun-21 01:32:50

GrannyGravy13

You must be reading a different source from me. The number of patients in ventilation beds is increasing.

love0c Thu 24-Jun-21 09:05:50

Walk in the road then. However, you are far more likely to be run over by a car than you are getting covid from passing someone that takes all of one second! In my opinion it is people like you that are keeping this country on its knees. I worry for the younger generation and want their futures to look bright and not blighted by this covid.

Luckygirl Thu 24-Jun-21 09:14:48

When governments have done terrible things to their people they don't do it all at once they just do it a bit at a time, see how much they will take

We are fighting the virus not the government.

MaizieD Thu 24-Jun-21 09:15:42

I worry for the younger generation and want their futures to look bright and not blighted by this covid.

As covid is rife among 'young people' (including school children who are too young for vaccination) and can leave some with life changing 'long covid'. But it seems that people aren't worried about those blighted lives. ?

nanna8 Thu 24-Jun-21 09:20:55

Hate to say it but over here we all say the British are non compliant with rules etc and always have been. Not a criticism, just how it is and always has been.Same applies to the Americans.

love0c Thu 24-Jun-21 09:22:34

Maizie Quite agree! There are now around 5 million people awaiting hospital treatment. The NHS was in trouble before covid. Goodness knows the state of it now regards funding. I can only think that if you need treatment in the future you may well need to pay for it yourself as there is no money! How on earth does that leave people who can not afford to pay for treatment. There is no 'magic money tree' and there never has been.

rosie1959 Thu 24-Jun-21 09:24:20

Growstuff to be fair the amount on ventilators has increased since the beginning of June but seems to be stabilising around 200 to 250 in the whole of the UK
In February when we had a similar amount of infections it was around 2500 to 3000 people
So vaccinations are doing their job and we hope this continues. There is always likely to be people who succumb to Coronavirus wether it be through age, ill health, or those who cannot or will not be vaccinated
But it’s obviously not enough to panic the government and many healthcare professionals or scientists Although there are some who I am sure would like us restricted forever

Alegrias1 Thu 24-Jun-21 09:33:10

nanna8

Hate to say it but over here we all say the British are non compliant with rules etc and always have been. Not a criticism, just how it is and always has been.Same applies to the Americans.

I'm a bit tired of the "British people don't stick to the rules" accusations. I know Melbourne had the longest and strictest lockdown, but its hardly like they all stayed in their houses like good little Aussies and did what they were told.

The people of Glasgow were subject to restrictions for nine months. The people in the NW of England have had similar, strict and draconian restrictions.

So although we can complain about all these people "not obeying in the rules", we need to take in to account that the vast majority of the 65 million British people have done exactly what has been asked of them.

I'm afraid the "whinging pom" routine doesn't work any more.

MerylStreep Thu 24-Jun-21 09:38:52

nanna8
You obviously don’t know the British as much as you think you do. We are very much a law / rule abiding people.

MaizieD Thu 24-Jun-21 09:38:59

Further to my earlier post:

More than 2 million adults in England have experienced coronavirus symptoms lasting over 12 weeks, government data suggests – double the previous estimate for long Covid.

www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jun/24/more-than-2m-adults-in-england-have-had-long-covid-for-over-12-weeks-study?utm_term=ae22e1152f4a9acdbf799a875c8a3258&utm_campaign=MorningBriefingUK&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=morningbriefinguk_email